• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 questions

thanks. I am always thinking to high pass my main speakers so as to "relax" them for the burder to try to reproduce low frequencies that it can not do.
Can I after high pass main speakers then run on top room perfect?

Usually one would high pass between the pre and the amp, and use a sub.
And use a powered sub.

… and then the RP would do its think ignorant of the details.

One more question.
Can lyngdorf fix the phasing from subwoofers directly or I need to dial them in first correctly (from the physical switches) and then lyngdorf can merge them?

One more question.
Can lyngdorf fix the phasing from subwoofers directly or I need to dial them in first correctly (from the physical switches) and then lyngdorf can merge them?
RP doesn't fix subs integration automatically, it corrects the sum FR of mains+subs. You can set up crossovers, delays and distance to subs, but without REW control it would be blind shooting.

Paradoxically, the better you set up the integration before RP, the less "magical" the result of RP room correction can be, because fewer errors in FR. But bad integration + RP is likely to be worse than good integration + RP.

ok so I still need to do my homework (I am afraid of doing it wrong). Distance to speakers is easy to get but what about different cable lengths for example

ok so I still need to do my homework (I am afraid of doing it wrong). Distance to speakers is easy to get but what about different cable lengths for example
The speed of light allows not to care about the length of the cables :)

If you follow the manual, you will avoid huge mistakes, after that RP will fix the rest, at least it will try.

As olegtern said, cable length is irrelevant, distances to speakers and sub(s) is all the 1120 asks for.

To get the best possible sound, the best practice is to carefully measure (with a Umik1 and REW) each main speaker, and adjust their positions to get the response as smooth as possible (while still maintaining equal distance to the listening position and neither too close to each other nor too far apart to degrade imaging and soundstaging), which of course requires multiple measurements; and then do the same for the sub(s) (the "sub crawl" method works well to get a good starting point).

But: this is a huge amount of work!

So I skipped it!

I put my one sub on the back wall midway between the two speakers, more-or-less randomly selected a 60Hz LR4 (both sides) crossover, then ran RoomPerfect (which does involve some work: it took me about half an hour of moving the included mike around the room and running the test signal; but everything is automated, the user is not required to interpret measurements).

The sonic results, to my ears, are excellent, so much so that I have not tried to do better with more work (though I may get to that one day).

can lyngdorf handle different distances between the speakers?
So main speakers are at 1.80 meters from the listening position and subwoofer is at the back side of the listening position at 2.20 meters.

a. CAn lyngdorf correct for those changes in meters ? 1.80 vs 2.20?
b. What about the music scene though? Having main speakers frontal and sub on the back side much further away?

a. Yes. See picture below. Sub distances at the bottom.

1673549553685.png

b. Lyngdorf strongly recommends placing 1 subwoofer between both main speakers; or 2 subwoofers in the front corners if possible, otherwise they should be aligned with your main speakers (i.e. against the front wall).

can lyngdorf handle different distances between the speakers?
So main speakers are at 1.80 meters from the listening position and subwoofer is at the back side of the listening position at 2.20 meters.

a. CAn lyngdorf correct for those changes in meters ? 1.80 vs 2.20?
b. What about the music scene though? Having main speakers frontal and sub on the back side much further away?

There is a not a lot of time delay, and unless the speakers playing pretty high I would worry more about group delay etc.
Which I would not worry about too much in this case.

You will not hear a time delay on a 20’ wavelength like one would on a 0.3M meter wavelength.

There is a not a lot of time delay, and unless the speakers playing pretty high I would worry more about group delay etc.
Which I would not worry about too much in this case.

You will not hear a time delay on a 20’ wavelength like one would on a 0.3M meter wavelength.
so you think it can work? I mostly wonder on how the music scene might be like? It would be weird to be hearing sound coming from two directions

Bass frequencies are omni-directional, which means you cannot locate where the sound is coming from. So it will work. As often, it will be a matter of finding the balance between achievable and good enough. If it sounds good to you with subs in the back, then this setup is good. 'Perfect is the enemy of good', so we need to be happy with that something simply good, rather than keep striving for perfection.

RoomPerfect is very capable of integrating subs and speakers, so I would say this route is still open to you.

I've heard Lyngdorf amps at a local dealer with subs at the front and also with a single sub at the rear of the room. It all sounded excellent and well integrated irrespective of where the sub was placed. I certainly couldn't localise the sub.

I'm looking hard at this device for all the reasons detailed in this thread, and I've read the entire thread! I'm reluctant because the measurements of the larger model by @amirm were not very good; but of course he listened to the unit later with RP and loved the sound. Full disclosure: if I bought this unit and really liked the sound, then Amir published poor measured performance I would probably not like the sound anymore, lol. I say this in jest but poor measurements would bother me and I openly admit it. Sigh..
I'm still trying to find a way to add room correction/bass management to the Benchmark stack (DAC3B/LA4/AHB2) in a way that doesn't add noise/distortion. Looking at the miniDSP DDRC-22D to insert between my Node 2i and the DAC3B but not sure how it would work with subs and of course miniDSP doesn't include trigger outputs and I find the miniDSP products to be extremely confusing. Sigh again. Rambling now, but if someone has successfully added DSP to a Benchmark stack would love to know the procedure.

*sigh*

These "not very good" measurements are completely and utterly inaudible.

There is a reason that @amirm never does any listening tests on any electronics: he knows perfectly well that he, like everyone else, can't hear any difference.

The measured results were also challenged by Steinway Lyngdorf, but I don't recall what the conclusion was of that.

I've been greatly enjoying the sound from my 3400 for nearly 3 years now. No issues at all.

*sigh*

There is a reason that @amirm never does any listening tests on any electronics: he knows perfectly well that he, like everyone else, can't hear any difference.
So all the headphone amps that @amirm has listened to don't qualify as electronics?

*sigh*

I think part of the idea is that there isn't a reason *not* to strive for "perfection". One can argue it is not needed and the device is good enough...which is also true.

I am sure the Lyngdorf sounds great and probably amazing with Room Perfect. Benefits of room correction are probably an order of magnitude better than improved SINAD or slightly better distortion.

I'm very curious about this one. Initially I was thinking something like minidsp SHD/SHD studio combined with a purifi amp to power my Martin Logan motion 40s. Ever sine I read about Lyngdorf "room perfect" I'm starting to lean towards this.

Of course its more expensive than the SHD+purifi combo, but to have just a single box in my lounge room is appealing especially given the rave reviews roomperfect receives. What I'm not sure about is whether it'll be able to power the 4 ohm motion 40's.

But the curious part is that the amplifier in this is digital which apparently doesn't have the distortion characteristics of an analog amp. I don't listen to music very loud, so volume should not be problem.

Hopefully someone sends it to Amir to measure
Picking up this old thread if you don't mind: Did you ever end up using the 1120 for your 40 Ohm Motion 40? I'm thinking of doing so. Did it work out well?

Back
Top Bottom