• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 questions

spacebar

Forum Donor
Hi.
In search for a new amp I’m waiting for the new Lyngdorf TDAI-1120. However I not familiar with the Lyngdorf family and pros or cons. One thing I can’t find info about is the dac chipset. Does anyone have information on this? What to expect compared to other Lyngdorf units?
https://lyngdorf.com/lyngdorf-tdai-1120/
Description: 2-channel streaming amplifier
Power rating: 2 x 120 W RMS @ 4Ohm / 2 x 60 W RMS @ 8Ohm
Digital inputs (Asynchronous): 2 x Coaxial (≤192kHz/24bit) 2 x Optical (≤96 kHz/24bit) 1 x HDMI (TV ARC)
Analog inputs: 1 x Phono Single Ended RCA (RIAA / 47kOhm 100pF), 1 x Analog Single Ended RCA (Max level: 4.0V = 0dBFS) 1 x Microphone input (XLR) for RoomPerfect™ calibration
Analog output: 1 x Stereo Analog RCA (75ohm-Max output level 4 Vrms)
Audio specifications: Frequency Response: ±0,5dB from 20 to 20,000 Hz, Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.05% max from 20 to 20,000 Hz, THD-N 1w/8ohm 0,04%, THD-N 1w/4ohm 0,04%
Media player: Internet Radio (vTuner), Spotify Connect, Roon ready, Chromecast built-in, DLNA Support (uPnP), AirPlay2, Bluetooth, Local file playback (USB)
Wireless connections: Bluetooth connectivity, Wi-Fi (802.11 n/ac)
Control interfaces: Intuitive input selector, Web-interface for setup and media player, Remote application for IOS and Android, IP control, CEC (HDMI), 1 x trigger input, 1 x trigger output, 1 x RJ45 Ethernet LAN connector, 1 x USB connectors (Type A)
Accessories included: RoomPerfect™ microphone, Microphone stand, Microphone cable, Optional accessory: IR remote control, rack mounting kit
Placement options: Freestanding
Dimensions (H x W x D): 10.1 x 30 x 26 cm (including connectors), 3.98 x 11.8 x 10.3 inches (including connectors)
Weight: 8 kg / 17.6 lb
Finish: Matte black

Reviews
https://www.recordere.dk/2020/02/verdenspremiere-vi-tester-lyngdorf-tdai-1120-hifi-streamer/ (DK)
https://www.bestofhighend.com/lyngdorf-tdai1120-review-2/

I have been testing the NAD M10 for the last two weeks but it’s going back. I do like the sound tho, but I miss some things. Anyway the NAD M10 has a ES9028Q2M dac and Hypex NC252MP. So now I know what to compare with!

I believe many people are very happy with its older brother 2170, so this unit shouldn’t be that bad either... I hope.

1lifeliveit

Hi.
In search for a new amp I’m waiting for the new Lyngdorf TDAI-1120. However I not familiar with the Lyngdorf family and pros or cons. One thing I can’t find info about is the dac chipset. Does anyone have information on this? What to expect compared to other Lyngdorf units?
https://lyngdorf.com/lyngdorf-tdai-1120/
Description: 2-channel streaming amplifier
Power rating: 2 x 120 W RMS @ 4Ohm / 2 x 60 W RMS @ 8Ohm
Digital inputs (Asynchronous): 2 x Coaxial (≤192kHz/24bit) 2 x Optical (≤96 kHz/24bit) 1 x HDMI (TV ARC)
Analog inputs: 1 x Phono Single Ended RCA (RIAA / 47kOhm 100pF), 1 x Analog Single Ended RCA (Max level: 4.0V = 0dBFS) 1 x Microphone input (XLR) for RoomPerfect™ calibration
Analog output: 1 x Stereo Analog RCA (75ohm-Max output level 4 Vrms)
Audio specifications: Frequency Response: ±0,5dB from 20 to 20,000 Hz, Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.05% max from 20 to 20,000 Hz, THD-N 1w/8ohm 0,04%, THD-N 1w/4ohm 0,04%
Media player: Internet Radio (vTuner), Spotify Connect, Roon ready, Chromecast built-in, DLNA Support (uPnP), AirPlay2, Bluetooth, Local file playback (USB)
Wireless connections: Bluetooth connectivity, Wi-Fi (802.11 n/ac)
Control interfaces: Intuitive input selector, Web-interface for setup and media player, Remote application for IOS and Android, IP control, CEC (HDMI), 1 x trigger input, 1 x trigger output, 1 x RJ45 Ethernet LAN connector, 1 x USB connectors (Type A)
Accessories included: RoomPerfect™ microphone, Microphone stand, Microphone cable, Optional accessory: IR remote control, rack mounting kit
Placement options: Freestanding
Dimensions (H x W x D): 10.1 x 30 x 26 cm (including connectors), 3.98 x 11.8 x 10.3 inches (including connectors)
Weight: 8 kg / 17.6 lb
Finish: Matte black

Reviews
https://www.recordere.dk/2020/02/verdenspremiere-vi-tester-lyngdorf-tdai-1120-hifi-streamer/ (DK)
https://www.bestofhighend.com/lyngdorf-tdai1120-review-2/

I have been testing the NAD M10 for the last two weeks but it’s going back. I do like the sound tho, but I miss some things. Anyway the NAD M10 has a ES9028Q2M dac and Hypex NC252MP. So now I know what to compare with!

I believe many people are very happy with its older brother 2170, so this unit shouldn’t be that bad either... I hope.

I'm very curious about this one. Initially I was thinking something like minidsp SHD/SHD studio combined with a purifi amp to power my Martin Logan motion 40s. Ever sine I read about Lyngdorf "room perfect" I'm starting to lean towards this.

Of course its more expensive than the SHD+purifi combo, but to have just a single box in my lounge room is appealing especially given the rave reviews roomperfect receives. What I'm not sure about is whether it'll be able to power the 4 ohm motion 40's.

But the curious part is that the amplifier in this is digital which apparently doesn't have the distortion characteristics of an analog amp. I don't listen to music very loud, so volume should not be problem.

Hopefully someone sends it to Amir to measure

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyway the NAD M10 has a ES9028Q2M dac and Hypex NC252MP. So now I know what to compare with!
For the NC252MP, yes. Since this is an all-in-one module and we know exactly how it should perform. DAC chip, however, doesn't mean much. @amirm did show a ton of times that implementation matter most than the chip itself... Even if some level of performance are only achievable by last generation chips.

Panelhead

Forum Donor
Peter Lyngdorf designs and manufactures very good products. He has a lot of irons in the fire now. Lyngdorf, Steinway, and Purifi.
The amplifier specs are not so great on this product. Maybe good enough.
How much is one? Info is sparse.

1lifeliveit

Peter Lyngdorf designs and manufactures very good products. He has a lot of irons in the fire now. Lyngdorf, Steinway, and Purifi.
The amplifier specs are not so great on this product. Maybe good enough.
How much is one? Info is sparse.

It's USD 2199. It's only 120w into 4 ohm, but max 30amps. Looks like it's based on one of the Texas instruments modules

OP
S

spacebar

Forum Donor
Can you please write a short review when you get it?
Sorry for the late response. But I’ve been looking for something else lately, because I feel the need to simplify things and want an all in one solution. My checklist is; able to use a remote, volume indicator/ visual, Spotify connect, optical/coax, internet radio + app. So I did some reading about KEF ls50 wireless 2, and it’s the only active speaker that has all the features minus volume indicator. And with great sound by reading feedbacks and reviews.

However, my question is, is it go or no go when it comes to upgrades, quality and the future. If I buy the 1120 I also need some new speakers, the 1120 has the same features as KEF but even more like room perfect. And I can replace speakers or amp in the future. With KEF I’m more stuck if you catch my drift.

Sorry for the long post, just me rambling :)

OP
S

spacebar

Forum Donor
Can you please write a short review when you get it?
Good news. Just got the tdai 1120 a few hours ago. To early to make any conclusion but first impression is the clarity in the sound. Gonna use the weekend to try room perfect and other things.

One big issue so far is not able to use a remote that can control direct input or next, pause, play etc. I’m using harmony remote and added tdai 2170 and got a little bit of all available controls. I might have to loan or buy a remote so I can add it to harmony.

If you have any questions let me know:)

Panelhead

Forum Donor
Would love to try one at home. Suspect it would mate up perfectly.

OP
S

spacebar

Forum Donor
@Kegemusha So far I’m really enjoying this. And I think tidal connect was added in latest firmware (tdai 3400 got it in the latest v 2.0). I have not upgraded yet since everything works fine and I don’t use tidal.

From a personal experience the tdai 1120 is better than the NAD M10. Listening to music was so enjoyable last night. Been a while since I had this feeling. And the tdai 1120 does a very good job with the sound from my tv, android tv, Apple TV. I hear a lot of details, voice is clear and feels controlled, if you catch my drift. I don’t know what Lyngdorf do, but it works for me. Really impressed.

OP
S

spacebar

Forum Donor
I should mention that my current speakers are monitor audio silver 1. The old model from 2013. But it’s a small speaker that does it’s job. And with the tdai 1120 I believe it’s a good match compared to the NAD M10, Yamaha Rx-a1070 or the Yamaha wax-50.

Panelhead

Forum Donor
Send it to Amir. I would like to see in depth measurements. The published numbers and specs are not very encouraging.
But how good is good enough.

OP
S

spacebar

Forum Donor
Send it to Amir. I would like to see in depth measurements. The published numbers and specs are not very encouraging.
But how good is good enough.
I’m in Europe so it will be to expensive I recon. But I would love to see a review too.

OP
S

spacebar

Forum Donor
I misinformed about tidal connect support with latest update. Since it already has chromecast built in it didn’t have the tidal connect update like 3400.

Here’s the release notes:
1.1.9 (1.1.8 skipped)
Features:
Adding IR codes for streaming services + removing 6 unused buttons
WIFI - Sort SSIDs by RX descending signal strength
WIFI - Adding SSID signal strength to webinterface
WIFI - Changed Access Point Default channel from 2 to 6
WIFI - Additional default debug log for customer support - Should be disabled when user friendliness has been confirmed.
WEB - Add signal strength text + icons + explanation to WIFI config page
CEC/ARC more flexible towards ARC initiation when still in standby from e.g. Phillips TV.

Bugfixes:
Fixed missing replies from Control4 SDDP
Reducing delay when going in and out of deep sleep
Support for more usb disk types
Demute handling when shifting away from Home Theater mode
WEB - Fix issue with ssid list update causes password input to disappear. Moved buttons for password outside of list .add scrolling into password and add text
Streaming - Fixed mediaplayer hang when changing spotify presets to fast
Fixed WPS not working.
CEC/ARC more correct handling of automatic input selection when "CEC power" is disabled.
Other bugfixes.

They also released the control manual, and I’m contact with harmony support to add the correct codes.
https://lyngdorf.steinwaylyngdorf.com/downloads/lyngdorf-tdai-1120-external-control-manual/

vlader

@spacebar I am curious how well it integrates with your TV, if you're using HDMI ARC/CEC. If you turn on the TV, does it turn on the amp, select the correct source, and then you can use the TV remote to control the volume?

Also, is there any volume display, or only in the app?

I have recently bought an Audiolab 6000A Play amp & streamer, and though it sounds good it has quite a few usability issues that annoy me, and the 1120 looks very interesting.

OP
S

spacebar

Forum Donor
@vlader sorry but I don’t use hdmi for tv audio. But there is 2 options for hdmi cec. Power on and audio on. I guess it will power on when the tv is powered on. And maybe the audio on is power on when audio is detected. I have not read the manual about this feature.

I use a hdmi switch with coax out. The tv audio is good and voices are clear. Seems like the amp is doing something with with the loudness stuff that makes background sounds very loud and voices is not clear and hard to hear. So very happy with this.

Not sure about volume display on tv but the amp itself shows current volume setting. I use a universal remote so it does everything for me. I believe hdmi cec is a universal thing, so how it works on one device should be the same for another in terms of volume display or not.

Top Bottom