• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loudspeaker cable test

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In the parallel mains filter lab test that he dropped today you can learn how filters reflect noise, "because the noise needs to go somewhere" :facepalm:
Anthropomorphic electrons might have feelings as well as needs. Noise filters need to be enticing so the noise wants to go there.

MAB

Major Contributor
Don't worry, it took them 3 pages of dismissive replies to even mention (but not provide link) this paper, however it clearly explains everything and shows the measurements you want, which BTW are in line with the video you posted and ends the need for further experiments
One member has tested the real-world impact of binding posts. The results can be extended to cables. It's a good read. There is an impact, it's just really small.
And also debunks some of the generalizations about fancy capacitors and inductors.

longma

I do hear the difference between some cheap but brand name vs monoprice 12g loudspeaker wires. From this one, the monoprice wires sound better. For interconnect cables, i hear the differences among cables $12-$70. I think they do effect the sound of the system. This does not mean the more expensive sound better. It depends on the combination of components (Source (CD, BT, Streamer), DAC, Amps, speakers)

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I do hear the difference between some cheap but brand name vs monoprice 12g loudspeaker wires. From this one, the monoprice wires sound better. For interconnect cables, i hear the differences among cables $12-$70. I think they do effect the sound of the system. This does not mean the more expensive are sound better. It depends on the combination of components (Source (CD, BT, Streamer), DAC, Amps, speakers)
:facepalm:
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

maciomacio

Don't worry, it took them 3 pages of dismissive replies to even mention (but not provide link) this paper, however it clearly explains everything and shows the measurements you want, which BTW are in line with the video you posted and ends the need for further experiments
the "dismissive" theme of this thread is that the results of "measurements" exhibited in the youtube video could be calculated because they are -quite- calculable and therefore predictable, but I noticed that you repeatedly ignored this concept...
i have been an audio engineer for several years also in the recording room, where simple yamaha speakers are used as monitors of the final mix...
every time speaker cables have been listened to in a "scientific" way, that is, double-blind, no one has ever been able to find mathematically effective differences...
a paper was cited to her to show how this issue has been addressed before etc....
the video does NOT describe the parameters in detail does not publish the method in detail does not allow others to repeat the exact same test in order to be able to verify it... does this not already seem like a reason to doubt?... if you add to it that the results of such a test are PREVEDIBLE using known and traditional formulas... I would say that the video proved nothing except how inconsistent and non-reproducible tests are done but "if the guy in the video says so" we are to believe it blindly?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I do hear the difference between some cheap but brand name vs monoprice 12g loudspeaker wires. From this one, the monoprice wires sound better. For interconnect cables, i hear the differences among cables $12-$70. I think they do effect the sound of the system. This does not mean the more expensive sound better. It depends on the combination of components (Source (CD, BT, Streamer), DAC, Amps, speakers)
It's highly unlikely that what you experienced is a result of an actual audible difference, hence the plethora of facepalms above.

egellings

Major Contributor
It's highly unlikely that what you experienced is a result of an actual audible difference, hence the plethora of facepalms above.
If you believe that the speaker cable type makes a difference in S.Q., then to you, and you alone, it will. An exception would be that if a speaker cable is too thin, the added resistance in series with the amplifier and the speaker could affect S.Q., but for any competent cable, that is not likely to be the case. As another example, one cable consisted of two flat wide ribbons bonded to each other through thin insulation. It had several nano-farads' worth of capacitance using such conductors, and that did make some amplifiers unhappy, affecting their S.Q. and possibly their lifespan. In short, for a cable to sound bad, it really has to be hideously designed to do so.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you believe that the speaker cable type makes a difference in S.Q., then to you, and you alone, it will. An exception would be that if a speaker cable is too thin, the added resistance in series with the amplifier and the speaker could affect S.Q., but for any competent cable, that is not likely to be the case. As another example, one cable consisted of two flat wide ribbons bonded to each other through thin insulation. It had several nano-farads' worth of capacitance using such conductors, and that did make some amplifiers unhappy, affecting their S.Q. and possibly their lifespan. In short, for a cable to sound bad, it really has to be hideously designed to do so.
Ok. Consistent with my comment.

longma

I understand and could not agree more with our explanation. It is basic Physics. Longer resistance wire will have IR drop. The same more caps, more coupling.
I just want to say, from my experience, cables do affect the sound. Scientific explanation is because the construction or the manufacturing of the cables are not the same ( different R and C or others).

DonR

Major Contributor
I understand and could not agree more with our explanation. It is basic Physics. Longer resistance wire will have IR drop. The same more caps, more coupling.
I just want to say, from my experience, cables do affect the sound. Scientific explanation is because the construction or the manufacturing of the cables are not the same ( different R and C or others).
Remove any bias from your observations and see if you still perceive a difference. A Nobel Prize in physics awaits you.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Utter nonsense and pseudoscience at best.

CapMan

Major Contributor
I wonder why nobody ever thought to do an audiophile advent calendar - we have them for beer, cosmetics , gin, Nespresso - every little day could bring a moment of snake oil magic to your Christmas :) Look hun , I got an RFI reducing crystal !
Some how this ended up in the wrong thread . Too much scotch tonight !! Will move my wit to the right place :)

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

The parasitic elements in audio cables are hardly ever large enough in value to result in EQ-effects of an audible magnitude.

The far most likely scientific explanation for your experience belongs in the realm of neuroscience and psychology.

longma

Remove any bias from your observations and see if you still perceive a difference. A Nobel Prize in physics awaits you.
Why should i bias? They are about the same price, from unknown brands to me, and bought them from Amazon.

longma

The parasitic elements in audio cables are hardly ever large enough in value to result in EQ-effects of an audible magnitude.

The far most likely scientific explanation for your experience belongs in the realm of neuroscience and psychology.
If you insist that, i take it. No hard feelings at all

DonR

Major Contributor
Why should i bias? They are about the same price, from unknown brands to me, and bought them from Amazon.
We all have biases, conscious and subconscious. You have to eliminate them from your testing using double-blind tests to ensure valid results. A cable would have to be severely broken or purposely poorly designed to have an audible difference, that is the scientific consensus.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Cognitive biases are subconsious, and have nothing to do with your concious expectations.

Just the fact you are listening for a difference is enough to cause a bias to hear it.

Top Bottom