• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lenire Tinnitus Treatment

JaMaSt

Forum Donor
On the plus side. If I use IEM’s and music the constant test tone goes away.
This exactly maps with my own case. When I get home from work, there is often a continuous "hiss" sound in both ears. Probably due to high blood pressure from typical work-a-day stress. I've had this for 30+ years.

IEMs, and a music tract with a pronounced and repetitive bass thump, causes it to go away in just a couple of minutes. This never happened when I had the Senn HD800 (which I sold when I found out how good IEMs can sound about 3 years ago). I'm not sure if it's the seal, the micro air chamber and the repetitive beat somehow "resets" the nerves in my ears, or maybe it's just that listening to music lowers my blood pressure. But that wouldn't explain why headphones don't do the trick. Listening to people talking on pod casts on You Tube doesn't silence it. It takes the music.

Last edited:

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
*Note: Avert your eyes if you need and MRI*

In a thread in which it seems most have tinnitus, some folks casually mentioning having MRIs blows my mind.

I say this because MRIs, due to high sound levels, are well known to be something to avoid-if-at-all-possible if you have Tinnitus and especially hyperacusis (I suffer bouts of both).

I've had 1 and 1/2 MRIs in my life, since I got T and Hyperacusis and both were devastating on my T and hyperacusis. I had to abandon the second MRI because it was too much to take and it literally took me 2 years to get over the huge spike in my tinnitus! At this point one of my biggest life fears isn't do much a disease, as having to get another MRI!

I've lived pretty well with T for decades, flaring up here and there, but just recently I've had a really bad flair up. I stayed up listening too long to loud music and usually if my ears are ringing they calm down after a while. Not this time. It was utterly brutal. Couldn't sleep, and when I'd finally nod off the sound would wake me up. I haven't had it this bad for a looong time. Usually I just get back to listening as usual, but this time I'm taking time off listening to music or movies.

I'm even considering trying Tinnitus Retraining Therapy from the same folks who treated my hyperacusis.
I didn't find the MRI overly noisy, they have air-flow headphone now that one can wear. Listened to jazz the whole time - was asked what genre I wanted to have by the tech. Alas, it was the smoothest of smooth jazz - not really my thing. But it did effectively mask a lot of the MRI sound show.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I'm continuing to chase down the high blood pressure issue and also having my carotids checked in a couple of weeks. At any rate, even if it does not improve the tinnitus, the blood pressure does need some attention...before it gets worse...

Definitely seems louder at night and before bed, then is less noticeable in the morning.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't find the MRI overly noisy, they have air-flow headphone now that one can wear. Listened to jazz the whole time - was asked what genre I wanted to have by the tech. Alas, it was the smoothest of smooth jazz - not really my thing. But it did effectively mask a lot of the MRI sound show.
On 2 I got to choose my music and on 2 others I got given ear plugs.
I have tinnitus that varies from barely there to "what did you say?" when someone breaks the outside world silence. For some reason it does no affect music listening, either live, though speakers or headphones (I wouldn't know about IEM's never had one in my ear long enough to have it turned on).

DavidShe

In a thread in which it seems most have tinnitus, some folks casually mentioning having MRIs blows my mind.

I say this because MRIs, due to high sound levels, are well known to be something to avoid-if-at-all-possible if you have Tinnitus and especially hyperacusis (I suffer bouts of both).

I've had 1 and 1/2 MRIs in my life, since I got T and Hyperacusis and both were devastating on my T and hyperacusis. I had to abandon the second MRI because it was too much to take and it literally took me 2 years to get over the huge spike in my tinnitus! At this point one of my biggest life fears isn't do much a disease, as having to get another MRI!

I've lived pretty well with T for decades, flaring up here and there, but just recently I've had a really bad flair up. I stayed up listening too long to loud music and usually if my ears are ringing they calm down after a while. Not this time. It was utterly brutal. Couldn't sleep, and when I'd finally nod off the sound would wake me up. I haven't had it this bad for a looong time. Usually I just get back to listening as usual, but this time I'm taking time off listening to music or movies.

I'm even considering trying Tinnitus Retraining Therapy from the same folks who treated my hyperacusis.

MRI procedures are more tolerable when foam earplugs are worn in conjunction with the provided earphones.

Reactions: EJ3

Music1969

Major Contributor
MRI procedures are more tolerable when foam earplugs are worn in conjunction with the provided earphones.

Yes, we can this "double hearing protection" and is mandatory in certain workplaces.

Should be mandatory with MRI.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I know that’s supposed to be the case and clearly it is the case for some. So it varies per individual case.

For me the best foam earplugs combined with ear muffs (the ones used in construction) were not enough: the MRI had terrible effects on my Tinnitus and hyperacusis. That’s been the experience of quite a number of people with those conditions, and why MRIs are a source of consternation in the Tinnitus hyperacusis community.

007Shortz

I found a paper that recommends taking magnesium for tinnitus:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22249877/

And this article is also important: https://hearinghealthfoundation.org/blogs/five-ways-lower-risk-prevent-tinnitus
"Give your ears what they need to run well and they’ll be less likely to be affected by medications or noise. Make sure you are getting enough vitamins A, C, and E as well as the mineral magnesium and omega-3 fatty acids (found in sardines, salmon, and fish oil supplements). Quit smoking and limit sugar, alcohol, and MSG."

1711370277012.png

Yes, it's cod liver oil. But it doesn't taste bad. I store it in the refrigerator and take a tablespoon a day.

Last edited:

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Well it took an MRI to find my inner ear problem! The Cat-scan didn't show anything.
No it wasn't fun, but it's good to know what has been causing my symptoms for over a decade.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Well it took an MRI to find my inner ear problem! The Cat-scan didn't show anything.
No it wasn't fun, but it's good to know what has been causing my symptoms for over a decade.
May I ask, what was your diagnosis? My doctors are saying that mine is just related to mild hearing loss in my right ear, the MRI did not reveal anything that would explain it as the "venous loop" is on my left side, not on my right side, where the drop in hearing acuity is occurring.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Did they not give you hearing protection? They give me headphones which mask the loud pounding. One could also wear foam earplugs if necessary.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Did they not give you hearing protection? They give me headphones which mask the loud pounding. One could also wear foam earplugs if necessary.
I brought my own (at least the second time as I remember). I made sure to bring the strongest earplugs / over ear protectors I could get.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
An update.

After I stopped the treatment and few weeks went by, I almost completely forgot about my Tinnitus! The treatment was definitely an aggravating factor with constant reminders. I only noticed this when it came back. Spring is here and I have started gardening so allergies may have something to do with it. The nuisance factor is similar to pre-treatment. :(

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
An update.

After I stopped the treatment and few weeks went by, I almost completely forgot about my Tinnitus! The treatment was definitely an aggravating factor with constant reminders. I only noticed this when it came back. Spring is here and I have started gardening so allergies may have something to do with it. The nuisance factor is similar to pre-treatment. :(

Does your Tinnitus ever make it hard to sleep?

When my Tinnitus gets bad (as it is now) it becomes "reactive" - sounds don't drown it out, sound just makes it louder so as sound goes up the ringing goes up on top of it.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
After I stopped the treatment and few weeks went by, I almost completely forgot about my Tinnitus!
That was a big relief I bet.
The treatment was definitely an aggravating factor with constant reminders. I only noticed this when it came back. Spring is here and I have started gardening so allergies may have something to do with it. The nuisance factor is similar to pre-treatment. :(
Ouch. That is frustrating for sure. I hope yours is not too horrible. Mine triggers randomly and it is like a loud frequency sweep going up and sustaining a seemingly high maybe ~10 k Hz for several minutes at a time.

I hate gardening now LoL. You must love the land to be a active gardener. I don't hate the land and it is actually the opposite but I wore out gardening some years ago as a pastime. :D

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I hope yours is not too horrible.
It has never been horrible except for when I first realized I had it. My brain filters it almost all the time. But some days it picks up and is worse. But never a disability thankfully.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Sleeping has gotten trickier, but fortunately, my wife doesn't mind a lot of white noise in the bedroom at night. We use a humidifier on her side and I have one of my iphones about 2' away from my pillow with a custom sound mix from the "Relief" app (free; they have some good sound options that allow one to mix and blend).

I'm still getting about 5.5 hours of deep sleep a night, which is enough for me, it seems.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sleeping has gotten trickier, but fortunately, my wife doesn't mind a lot of white noise in the bedroom at night. We use a humidifier on her side and I have one of my iphones about 2' away from my pillow with a custom sound mix from the "Relief" app (free; they have some good sound options that allow one to mix and blend).

I'm still getting about 5.5 hours of deep sleep a night, which is enough for me, it seems.

Have you tried using a noise app on your phone?

I use an iPhone app called White Noise, which is great because it allows a fine selection of white noise, so I can really target the specific frequencies of my ear ringing.

For me the very thin band of "violet" white noise is right where my T sits, and if my ears are bothering me I can just place the iphone on my desk (or sofa or wherever I'm seated) and dial it just enough to cover the ringing. Because it's such a thin targeted noise I hear everything else and it's like the ringing on my ears just stops. It can be great to just relax the mind for a while if you become too fixated on the ringing.

Top Bottom