• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KRK ROKIT 5 Gen 4 Review (Studio Monitor)

bede

Hi! My first post after many, many hours of reading since discovering this objective goldmine.

My RP7 G4s (one size up from RP5s in this thread) recently arrived and I am horrified by the extent of hiss even without a source connected. I live in a city with a high noise floor and yet can hear the hiss from >3m away without trying to listen for it. Gain setting makes no difference and both units are as bad as each other.

I bought them after liking the RP5s in store and did not notice any hiss from those, although in my naivety I was not listening for it.

I have heard several reports that the RP7 is worse for hiss than the RP5. Can anyone confirm?

Either way my RP7s are going back. So disappointed.

haen

I can only confirm that RP5 seems to produce no hiss. That was one of the reasons I picked up those, as I have them placed in the bedroom.

In this very thread I can see people saying that their RP7 are dead silent, but also mentioning that other reviews talk about some noise coming from the speakers. Maybe different revisions?

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Prior to my purchase of the monitor/sub in my signature I used KRK G4 7 Rokit’s and KRK sub, hiss was noticeable from the tweeter when sat at my desk with no music playing (setup is shown back on page 5 of this thread) but not what I’d consider obtrusive and not noticeable when playing audio, measure the hiss with your phone and db app and contact the shop you purchased them from.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Prior to my purchase of the monitor/sub in my signature I used KRK G4 7 Rokit’s and KRK sub, hiss was noticeable from the tweeter when sat at my desk with no music playing (setup is shown back on page 5 of this thread) but not what I’d consider obtrusive and not noticeable when playing audio, measure the hiss with your phone and db app and contact the shop you purchased them from.
Out of curiosity, have those Dynaudio LYD 48 been measured anechoically anywhere? I just don't know them.

bede

Sound advice, thank you, although I would worry about the nearest road interfering with measurements unless doing so during the small hours. Is it possible to easily high pass filter such measurements with an app in order only to catch tweeter hiss?

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Out of curiosity, have those Dynaudio LYD 48 been measured anechoically anywhere? I just don't know them.

Not as far as know, I’ve tried searching online but nothings turned up anywhere. I also contacted Dynaudio asking for the data as they have their own Jupiter anechoic room for testing but they were not very forthcoming and said the data was not for consumers, quite a strange/weird response from them as surely the data would only enhance their sales but Sound on Sound and various reputable professional audio sites sang their praises (along with a good mate who advised me on them and set my room up) so I bought them. No regrets from myself.

Is it possible to easily high pass filter such measurements with an app in order only to catch tweeter hiss?

I’m not sure so will defer to someone else to respond, thankfully I stay in the wilds of Scotland and the noise floor in my house is practically non existent.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not as far as know, I’ve tried searching online but nothings turned up anywhere. I also contacted Dynaudio asking for the data as they have their own Jupiter anechoic room for testing but they were not very forthcoming and said the data was not for consumers, quite a strange/weird response from them as surely the data would only enhance their sales but Sound on Sound and various reputable professional audio sites sang their praises (along with a good mate who advised me on them and set my room up) so I bought them. No regrets from myself.

I’m not sure so will defer to someone else to respond, thankfully I stay in the wilds of Scotland and the noise floor in my house is practically non existent.
That's a strong leap of faith from you, not that I don't believe it, but since finding ASR I wouldn't buy speakers that haven't been measured anechoically. Praps someday they'll be measured somewhere. I just think that when you have access to a free website like ASR that there isn't anything to be gained by buying stuff that's not been measured, certainly re the significant impact of speakers. I suppose you could cut a proportion of the doubt by measuring them in your own room with a UMIK & REW or something to check there's not some significantly weird stuff going on!

Somafunk

Major Contributor
That's a strong leap of faith from you, not that I don't believe it, but since finding ASR I wouldn't buy speakers that haven't been measured anechoically. Praps someday they'll be measured somewhere. I just think that when you have access to a free website like ASR that there isn't anything to be gained by buying stuff that's not been measured, certainly re the significant impact of speakers. I suppose you could cut a proportion of the doubt by measuring them in your own room with a UMIK & REW or something to check there's not some significantly weird stuff going on!

Thankfully my mate has 25+ years of experience in electronic music and setting up systems/acoustics as he’s been involved in electronic music with studio builds and is rather accomplished at what he does/in demand but he lives in Berlin. He was over a few years ago doing an old mates studio in Edinburgh and initially brought a set of Hedd type 20’s which I loved but I couldn’t afford them and get my room treated at the same time (no point having equipment if it can’t be used effectively), so I started off with KRK 7 G4 and KRK 10 sub and £2k of room treatment which he set up using his mic and software which involved lots of holes in the walls as we experimented with placement of panels to create a sweet spot where my chair sits, then correct spots marked/drilled and room decorated/holes filled and panels hung, then last year I had saved up £3k for better speakers/sub and he recommended the Dynaudio setup. He brought over the speakers/sub and set it up in the room, did all his measurements so the system has been calibrated and set up correctly, I did need to buy another couple of 600mm x 1200mm GIK Monster bass traps with range limiters to sit on the floor against the wall behind my desk as the bass output of the 18s subwoofer was so much more than the previous KRK, I’d probably benefit from a couple more panels on the ceiling as I only have 3 600mm x 1200mm GIK 242 at the moment above my desk area for sbir but there’s already 21 panels in my room of 3.3m x 4.3 x 2.4m and thats enough.

Very happy with how it sounds and I doubt I’d get get anything better without spending stupid money, no neighbours to worry about either, which is probably just as well.

bede

I can only confirm that RP5 seems to produce no hiss. That was one of the reasons I picked up those, as I have them placed in the bedroom.

In this very thread I can see people saying that their RP7 are dead silent, but also mentioning that other reviews talk about some noise coming from the speakers. Maybe different revisions?

Agreed. Both of my RP7s have identical, loud hiss, completely unaffected by the selected gain. Perhaps the factory is throwing together amp batches from whatever components they can source. Classic COVID era electronics manufacture.

Interestingly, the power switch in one of my RP7s needed a firm press the first time (and only the first time) I switched it on. It's as if the switch had never been actuated before in its life, which I guess is consistent with a £150 per unit asking price.

Anyway, the Kali LP-6 v2s have been ordered and the KRKs will go back. No iconic yellow kevlar cones for me. Thanks everyone.

Advadva

Anyway, the Kali LP-6 v2s have been ordered and the KRKs will go back. No iconic yellow kevlar cones for me. Thanks everyone.

I wonder how do you like LP-6 v2s in comparison with KRK?
I got a pair of Kalis a couple of days ago and not really sure whether I like them or not.
For sure, they are silent and much more flat and detailed, but there is something I don't like.
Previously I used KRK RP8G2 for a decade and Focal Alpha 65 for a couple of years.
I was really going to pickup KRKs G4, but the hiss issue stoped me from doing this.

As for Kali, so far I found them fatiguing, something I never noticed with my previous speakers.
They also lack some high mid band, that makes music less beefy, might be good for mixing, but not for listening.

bede

I wonder how do you like LP-6 v2s in comparison with KRK?
I got a pair of Kalis a couple of days ago and not really sure whether I like them or not.
For sure, they are silent and much more flat and detailed, but there is something I don't like.
Previously I used KRK RP8G2 for a decade and Focal Alpha 65 for a couple of years.
I was really going to pickup KRKs G4, but the hiss issue stoped me from doing this.

As for Kali, so far I found them fatiguing, something I never noticed with my previous speakers.
They also lack some high mid band, that makes music less beefy, might be good for mixing, but not for listening.
They arrived yesterday and I've only taken one out of the box for a hiss test since I have a work deadline bearing down on me. The hiss is indeed much quieter than the RP7 G4s I returned and I've no concerns about them from 10 mins of listening. I don't have much controlled KRK listening time in the bag so I doubt my subjective comments will hold much value to you.

YSC

Major Contributor
Hi there, just now my 7 years old KEF X300A is dead as a TV speaker for all its worth. Now planning to use the KRK as replacement. Just saw that KRK used to have the black hunk of death issue, anyone knows that if the G4 still have that material in its amp or not?

Querkle

Hi there, just now my 7 years old KEF X300A is dead as a TV speaker for all its worth. Now planning to use the KRK as replacement. Just saw that KRK used to have the black hunk of death issue, anyone knows that if the G4 still have that material in its amp or not?
AFAIK it was only G1/G2 which used it, my G3's didnt from what i know and i dont think the G4 do, i owned G4 but not any more they are great speakers.

Reactions: YSC

YSC

Major Contributor
AFAIK it was only G1/G2 which used it, my G3's didnt from what i know and i dont think the G4 do, i owned G4 but not any more they are great speakers.
Just bought it, but now in hk I need to find a 3.5mm to xlr cable for use

B-Flow

Hadent heard of the black gunk of death until now. I have the 7" G4 and LOVE them! I Certainly hope KRK learned. lol

MoJo

Woow, a lot of knowledge on this thread. Interesting to read!

I am a beginner producer/dj and I am wondering if there is a good setup method for my home studio setup. I have 2 Krk Rokits 6 and recently added a Krk S8.4 sub.

When i installed the sub i followed the manual, but that didn't bring me a satisfying result. Also the manual of the sub didn't say anything about the settings on the speakers, the rokits have 3 knobs: hpf, lpf and volume.

Can anybody help me out with a setup method?

My room is quite small: 2x4,5 meter. I have very cheap sound isolation on the wall, only at speaker heigth (see picture). I am considering bass traps or something like that, but don't have a lot of money to spend.

Thanks for any insights!

Attachments

• 20230106_130913.jpg
    20230106_130913.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 157

Robert C

Recently got a pair of these for my office/study and set them up today. Pretty pleased with them overall. I have them in a near field config, firing straight out. I tried them toed in towards me (the KRK phone app is excellent for this, you put your phone on the speaker and it calculates the angle of toe in!) but I found the direct clean sound far too fatiguing. I took a measurement with the KRK app and it recommended one of the HF cuts, which I've implemented. The result is very enjoyable sound now with the HF cut and no toe in. This probably makes them sound more "hi-fi" than "accurate" but they do sound good. Bass seems nice and neutral and the only subjectively detectable resonance I'm getting is with the aforementioned desk bounce.

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have a pair of these now also - great sound for the price and I think the App is pretty good - I am going to compare the app recommendations with REW in a few days - might be interesting to see how accurate their recommendation is.

I am setting these up as normal speakers - rather than a studio setup - in my kitchen for more causal listening.

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So the App recommendations are not imo accurate - from REW I need signifcant lower the bass shelf and an lower my treble shelf (and ideally lots of PEQ adjustments) but while the app suggested a Low shelf of -2 (Present #2), I am surprised it actually wanted to increase the treble using a high shelf of +2db Present #5).

Its a pity you can't customise the Low and High Presents beyond the 5 suggestions, but they are pretty accurately applied:
1673876174325.png

So for me I will need to use a little bit of the Rokit EQ but mainly use the EQ within the Wiim Mini App (hopefully some PEQ) for this kitchen setup.

YSC

Major Contributor
So the App recommendations are not imo accurate - from REW I need signifcant lower the bass shelf and an lower my treble shelf (and ideally lots of PEQ adjustments) but while the app suggested a Low shelf of -2 (Present #2), I am surprised it actually wanted to increase the treble using a high shelf of +2db Present #5).

Its a pity you can't customise the Low and High Presents beyond the 5 suggestions, but they are pretty accurately applied:View attachment 257446

So for me I will need to use a little bit of the Rokit EQ but mainly use the EQ within the Wiim Mini App (hopefully some PEQ) for this kitchen setup.
just wonders what is the scales on the measurements are

Top Bottom