• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R3 Speaker Review

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
They can get out due to transportation or vibration during music reproductuon. So just push them in from time to time.
That’s stupid, if it comes out due to vibration due to the playback, it’s extreme poor design if a speaker changes its sound due to playing back of sound. But transportation problems is acceptable as long as they mention this in the manual.

SiamXIII

That’s stupid, if it comes out due to vibration due to the playback, it’s extreme poor design if a speaker changes its sound due to playing back of sound. But transportation problems is acceptable as long as they mention this in the manual.
Did you know screws on your speakers loosen over time and affect sound? Oh, what a poor design!

uwotm8

Imagine if critical screws in a moving vehicle loosened over time
Unfortunately they do. Sometimes.
But yes:
if it comes out due to vibration due to the playback, it’s extreme poor design
Not just the design, but also reasons of using these (one of the reasons of using those rings - "let's get rid of ugly screws, we're going minimalistic") and causes of optimization - from making those flares just a flimsy plastic caps to assembling in China.
Dynaudio got their portion of bad QC too after moving Evoke and cheaper lines to China (while BM and LYD are still marked as made in Denmark, I hope Danes don't lie:rolleyes:).
Monitor Audio did it right many years before it became so mainstream - they used a central screw which goes from woofer to the back side of the speaker. No visible screws at the front panel and you can shape driver flare whatever you want. But there was a little thing they didn't manage those years (I didn't hear current models) and that was the sound:)

raindance

Major Contributor
It makes the tiniest, minutest, teensy little difference to the measured response.... I wouldn't let it worry me.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Mine moved during shipping (presumably), but have never moved in regular use. I don't think that actually happens.

JRiggs

Mine moved during shipping (presumably), but have never moved in regular use. I don't think that actually happens.
I agree. All reports I have read about over the years are a result of shipping. Never from sound while playing.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some of the beauty rings just loosen over time, some don't. It's a design flaw they fixed with the KEF R3 Meta, a dealer in Germany told me.
Just press them back in, if it bothers you a drop of glue will sort it.

dogmamann

Some of the beauty rings just loosen over time, some don't. It's a design flaw they fixed with the KEF R3 Meta, a dealer in Germany told me.
Just press them back in, if it bothers you a drop of glue will sort it.
They are not beauty rings. They have a purpose.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They are not beauty rings. They have a purpose.
Hide the ugly parts of the speaker?
Batman-Chin-Rub.gif

dogmamann

We
It makes the tiniest, minutest, teensy little difference to the measured response.... I wouldn't let it worry me.
erinsaudiocorner says it’s not
Unfortunately they do. Sometimes.
But yes:

Not just the design, but also reasons of using these (one of the reasons of using those rings - "let's get rid of ugly screws, we're going minimalistic") and causes of optimization - from making those flares just a flimsy plastic caps to assembling in China.
Dynaudio got their portion of bad QC too after moving Evoke and cheaper lines to China (while BM and LYD are still marked as made in Denmark, I hope Danes don't lie:rolleyes:).
Monitor Audio did it right many years before it became so mainstream - they used a central screw which goes from woofer to the back side of the speaker. No visible screws at the front panel and you can shape driver flare whatever you want. But there was a little thing they didn't manage those years (I didn't hear current models) and that was the sound:)
On The KEF R Series and References as per kefs document itself it’s not a decoration but it’s something functional. I have not come across any other speaker ever which had its screws loosened over time. It is possible that very old poorly made speakers with particle boards can have this problem but that happens after several years.

I do not think the KEF’s shadow flares would come off due to the vibration of the speakers themselves, thereby altering their own frequency response.

Show me one other speaker which has such kind of a problem? My References have the plastic rings too, and if you press them, it’s possible to change their position a little bit, if you pull them out a little bit, there is a dramatic change in sound. I would go nuts if that happens due to the playback and luckily it doesn’t happen that way atleast on the references. Anyways imo, the shadow flare thing in the whole Kef series is a questionable design decision
Hide the ugly parts of the speaker?
View attachment 322716
That’s from Erin’s audio corner. Again, it’s very easy to get this screwed if this part is not a fixed part to the baffle. I can easily push the ring (attempting to clean for example) on one corner and the opposite corner comes out more than 1 mm on my references. I have seen R Series boxes with the “beauty rings” protruding more than 1mm in the showrooms many times. If it was just a beauty ring, it wouldn’t have been a problem. But it is not. I bet majority of the R Series users are unaware of this issue and none of them are hearing what the reviewers heard!
IMG_9469.png

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can easily push the ring (attempting to clean for example) on one corner and the opposite corner comes out more than 1 mm on my references. I have seen R Series boxes with the “beauty rings” protruding more than 1mm in the showrooms many times. If it was just a beauty ring, it wouldn’t have been a problem. But it is not. I bet majority of the R Series users are unaware of this issue and none of them are hearing what the reviewers heard!
View attachment 322723
More than a beauty ring indeed, cheers.

uwotm8

document itself it’s not a decoration but it’s something functional
I never said these are not functional. They are. But that flare shape could be done another ways (MA screw-through-speaker is just one of examples). They way it stays fixed for years and no transportation drop that doesn't kill the speaker should make them move. Measurements you provided shows that it's critical for rings to be precisely on their right positions so it's KEF problem to assure this (if they care of course), not customer's.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I never said these are not functional. They are. But that flare shape could be done another ways (MA screw-through-speaker is just one of examples). They way it stays fixed for years and no transportation drop that doesn't kill the speaker should make them move. Measurements you provided shows that it's critical for rings to be precisely on their right positions so it's KEF problem to assure this (if they care of course), not customer's.
They seem to have solved it with the Meta refresh.

dogmamann

They seem to have solved it with the Meta refresh.
They never changed the cabinet design between R / Reference when they refreshed to Metas. From the looks and weight they are exactly the same. I do not know if they changed anything internally. The older cabins were well designed and is a good baseline for working on the drivers and crossovers. If I am not wrong if one has the money, they can buy the meta drivers and crossovers to Metafy the old one. Downside is having no warranty on doing so.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So far we have no report of the R3 Meta rings coming loose, i would guess they add a dab of hot glue or something during assembly now.
Which is an option for those that have loose rings with the R3 too.

dogmamann

So far we have no report of the R3 Meta rings coming loose, i would guess they add a dab of hot glue or something during assembly now.
It’s not loose on R3 either. It’s a press fit mechanism like a speaker grill. It’s possible to push on one corner and the opposite corner pops up. Using a hot glue would work but think of this: you are spending over 2000 euros on a speaker which has a high possibility of not sounding right, out of the box and need customers effort to make it right. This doesn’t happen on boxes costing 100 or even 25.

The plastic rings on the references has glue behind them, yet mine was miss aligned. Even worse my whole front baffle was misaligned but the dealer fixed it for me by removing the nuts from the rear of the speakers and then realigning. He told me that sometimes that it had happened with another customers unit also, but since it’s a fix they can do it at the store, they won’t have to send it to KEF.

This arises lot of questions about their general buildquality design of the cabinets and idea of shadow flare. If it works it’s superb, but with the current design, it’s possible that not all customers are hearing what reviewers claim.

kolestonin

Mine arrived with the ring out of the baffle and I had to push it inside. You can read my post here:

This was the case with the the original R3 I also owned.
I can also confirm there are no visible differences on the shadow flare/ring material or design.
They maybe changed something under the hood but my experience showed the contrary.

Top Bottom