• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R3 Speaker Review

eyes-on-you

Ok, luckily you are using one of the best amplifiers out there ( Benchmark AHB2 ), with plenty of power, and handles difficult loads with ease. Not overheating is a very good indicator.

Still I'm not fond of the EQ you have uploaded. Since its having very wild swings (going from -17dB to +15dB), makes me thing the target setting "Target Level(dB)" was not wisely set. A good advice would be to check filter tasks and limit the "Individual max boost" and "overall max boost", play with this numbers until you find the best compromise.

What I'm more interested in is if you like/enjoy the stock sound of your speakers ? Without any kind of EQ, and without the influence of whatever you may have read on this thread or forum.

Since I am fairly new to creating EQs, it is very possible that I have set the target level incorrect.

I am happy with the sound of my speakers. When I apply EQ, detail increases a little, which I like.

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, -15dB headroom applied in Roon, first.
OK. It sounds like you are not taxing your amp, but you are dramatically lowering the volume capability of the system. You might not notice it at lower volumes or in smaller rooms or in the near field.

eyes-on-you

OK. It sounds like you are not taxing your amp, but you are dramatically lowering the volume capability of the system. You might not notice it at lower volumes or in smaller rooms or in the near field.

Hi,

Yes, I'm listening from the speakers about 3 meters.

At the benchmark amp with the medium gain setting and the DAC2 HGC gain setting is 0dB, the volume pot of the DAC located at 11-12 o'clock position for avarage-high listening volume.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
After measure i got several diferences in bass, in some positions i got 2 deeps i didn't resolve the problem but i got the best result at 1.7M of distance with aggresive toe in and at 1.5m of me(red line) , they sound huge and the bass sound more fuller, i think moving the speakers works well, listening music is not an obvious thing

In subjetive terms, now they sound very nice... i like it :) my chest enjoy the extra bass and bass
Moving more than 50 times the speakers XDDD i finally got something better, i fixed the deep in 120hz a lot ! now i dont hear anymore that deep in the FR and i hear pure bliss
position can change a lot the sound

Attachments

• hmmmasdas.png
    hmmmasdas.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 1,046
  • plssssssssss.png
    plssssssssss.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 1,047

testp

I haven't had the R3 for a bit but I still have my PEQ filters that were tweaked over months of actual listening and tweaking so I personally think they are better than the automated filters that are going around. I use Equalizer APO with the Peace addon so can't help with the audionirvana settings. Those filters aren't going to be any good though, you don't want to boost around 3k, that is actually right around the area where there is some harshness as also confirmed by Erin during his review. Once you figure out how to apply the PEQ I would try these filters, it makes the R3 sound very smooth and much better than in original form.

View attachment 133589

what speakers are you using now, if you dont mind me asking...?

testp

I went back to the original LS50s lol. Those need EQ too of course.

Oh ok, cool!

soo, what ur saying LS50s / Meta rocks.. :)

i also am condsidering Ls50 Meta, and maybe genelec woofer or 2, then i 'd get easy way of room correcting stuff as well.

what room size do u use them though?

aarons915

Forum Donor
Oh ok, cool!

soo, what ur saying LS50s / Meta rocks.. :)

i also am condsidering Ls50 Meta, and maybe genelec woofer or 2, then i 'd get easy way of room correcting stuff as well.

what room size do u use them though?

My room is small which is a big reason why the LS50 work fine for me, the R3 definitely play louder with lower distortion but with crossovers in the 100-120Hz range that doesn't matter much to me. For larger rooms or people who really rock out louder than 90db at their listening position the R3 are probably better but if you're not listening stupid loud I think the more pure point source presentation of the LS50 sounds more natural.

Kachda

Forum Donor
My room is small which is a big reason why the LS50 work fine for me, the R3 definitely play louder with lower distortion but with crossovers in the 100-120Hz range that doesn't matter much to me. For larger rooms or people who really rock out louder than 90db at their listening position the R3 are probably better but if you're not listening stupid loud I think the more pure point source presentation of the LS50 sounds more natural.
Personally I prefer the R3s, because in my small room they can generate pretty good bass. LS50 cannot dig that deep. LS50 is definitely a better looking speaker though.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Not only gonna play louder with lower distortion, the r3 gonna give you more deeps lows and move more air, more fun :)

The point source thing is already well done in kefs, i think the pure point source presentation gonna be a benefict only in very very small situations.. as mini pc speakers in the desk or something

also i don't think is a good idea the woofer moving in the ls50 because you are moving the wave guide (?) that gonna be a trouble in music

aarons915

Forum Donor
Personally I prefer the R3s, because in my small room they can generate pretty good bass. LS50 cannot dig that deep. LS50 is definitely a better looking speaker though.

Obviously, I should have mentioned that I use dual subs. Without subs the R3 are a no brainer but I wouldn't go without subs with any speaker.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
For improve the subjetive listening its a good option to boost just 3dB in the area of 40hz - 100hz ?
The r series doesn't have a huge bump in the 125hz area like others, and also have a slight -3dB ~ in the area between 40hz and 100hz
1626731664102.png

testp

I would want a different curve there, yes, but I would do so based on the in-room measurement, not anechoic (the one you posted).

yeah, this only shows that they might counted in possbile room modes developing there and to get low frequency a bit lower. I've seen similar from Revel floorstanders, and they are not bass shy according to Amirm..

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For improve the subjetive listening its a good option to boost just 3dB in the area of 40hz - 100hz ?
The r series doesn't have a huge bump in the 125hz area like others, and also have a slight -3dB ~ in the area between 40hz and 100hz
View attachment 142274

Typically I wouldn't boost an area where the speaker is rolling off, your mileage may vary.

simbloke

Forum Donor
I'm not sure how a bunch of (probably overpriced) caps and coils sticky taped to the back of your speakers is supposed to improve things. The words
correcting their round bass, "darkness", enclosed sound, "plastic" treble...to more slam, light, air, transparency
really don't mean much.

holbob

Round mass I understand, check me out on the 2nd of January and so will you! But round bass? What the beejesus is that???

Top Bottom