• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R3 Speaker Review

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
its ok if i toe-in the kef r3? my room is very asymmetrical and small and a huge toe-in let me separate the speakers a bit more
im at 1.4m, if i toe-in more i can 1.5m

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
its ok if i toe-in the kef r3? my room is very asymmetrical and small and a huge toe-in let me separate the speakers a bit more
im at 1.4m, if i toe-in more i can 1.5m
Of course, it is. Why wouldn't be? The more the speakers are facing you, the more you will be hearing on-axis responses which may be bright to some people. If you are one of them, try to sit further from them. Toe-in R3 will give you more precise imaging but smaller width of the sound stage. I have my R500 toe-in a little bit (need to measure in degrees) so I can see slightly an inner edge of the speaker cabinet.

Last edited:

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Of course, it is. Why wouldn't be? The more the speakers are facing you, the more you will be hearing on-axis responses which may be bright to some people. If you are one of them, try to sit further from them. Toe-in R3 will give you more precise imaging but smaller width of the sound stage. I have my R500 toe-in a little bit (need to measure in degrees) so I can see slightly an inner edge of the speaker cabinet.
my situation is very especial i have 2 option

Attachments

• toe in.png
    toe in.png
    49 KB · Views: 124

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
|
@
|

Is it impossible?

I thik it will be better.

|: Speakers
@: Listening position
I didnt understand:( can you draw it a little bit pls like my bad paint xD

Do you mean set the speakers like the first draw? i think the problem of that position is the wall, the right speaker point at the wall

Last edited:

bo_knows

my situation is very especial i have 2 option
Everything I said will apply to the second option. Toe-in the speaker will "minimize" the side reflections and image and focus will improve but the sound stage will "shrink". Speakers will sound brighter to some extent. Only you can make a decision on which position sounds better.

Attachments

• Suggestion 2.jpg
    Suggestion 2.jpg
    445.3 KB · Views: 105

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Everything I said will apply to the second option. Toe-in the speaker will "minimize" the side reflections and image and focus will improve but the sound stage will "shrink". Speakers will sound brighter to some extent. Only you can make a decision on which position sounds better.
i dont care about if the speakers sound a little bit brighter since i used EQ any way, my problem is i have a deep in 120hz~ i think i need to play with the position of the speakers, since i got a tv between the speakers is a little harder

eyes-on-you

Do you mean set the speakers like the first draw? i think the problem of that position is the wall, the right speaker point at the wall

Can you locate speakers on upper left side?

Ok, here it is

Attachments

• B631A7E9-2189-4C5C-B800-2F81EB927E72.jpeg
    B631A7E9-2189-4C5C-B800-2F81EB927E72.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 72

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
This a new version of my draw XD it include the measures

Attachments

• TOE IN BED.png
    TOE IN BED.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 117

bo_knows

This a new version of my draw XD it include the measures
I see, small space, tough. I think toe-in the speakers is a "better" option to some degree since sound will not bounce directly back and forth between walls. Not sure what to suggest about the 120Hz dip. Those problems are not easy to fix and require time, money, and acoustic treatments that you may not be willing to go for it.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I see, small space, tough. I think toe-in the speakers is a "better" option to some degree since sound will not bounce directly back and forth between walls. Not sure what to suggest about the 120Hz dip. Those problems are not easy to fix and require time, money, and acoustic treatments that you may not be willing to go for it.
small space and i had another idea, put a 55 '' between the speakers ... yes XD.

The tv is on a furniture, today im gonna wall mount the tv and playing with the space, i dont have a huge peaks in sub bass or something like that xD the room sounds good, the deep in 120hz~ is barely audible to be honest is not a huge problem but i need to wall mount the tv first

i had a small monitor and sit at 1.2 m
i got some positions that i remove the 120hz~ deep, was a challenge to find these positions and toe and now i need to do the same but with the tv, maybe because the right speaker point at the wall it cancel a bit or something like that, should the speakers toe-in aggresivily improve the deep, i mean in the past moving the speakers solve the problem xD but at 1.4m with the tv is a little harder maybe the toe-in should help me, im gonna toe-in the uni-q right at my ear xD

bo_knows

small space and i had another idea, put a 55 '' between the speakers ... yes XD.

The tv is on a furniture, today im gonna wall mount the tv and playing with the space, i dont have a huge peaks in sub bass or something like that xD the room sounds good, the deep in 120hz~ is barely audible to be honest is not a huge problem but i need to wall mount the tv first

i had a small monitor and sit at 1.2 m
i got some positions that i remove the 120hz~ deep, was a challenge to find these positions and toe and now i need to do the same but with the tv, maybe because the right speaker point at the wall it cancel a bit or something like that, should the speakers toe-in aggresivily improve the deep, i mean in the past moving the speakers solve the problem xD but at 1.4m with the tv is a little harder maybe the toe-in should help me, im gonna toe-in the uni-q right at my ear xD
Yeap, and cover the TV screen with some kind of blanket when listening to music only. I do the same in my setup. You could build movable bass traps (gobos) on casters if needed. You just need to be creative and experiment. Very few domestic spaces are perfect. ;)

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
After measure i got several diferences in bass, in some positions i got 2 deeps i didn't resolve the problem but i got the best result at 1.7M of distance with aggresive toe in and at 1.5m of me(red line) , they sound huge and the bass sound more fuller, i think moving the speakers works well, listening music is not an obvious thing

In subjetive terms, now they sound very nice... i like it :) my chest enjoy the extra bass and bass

Attachments

• red cute.png
    red cute.png
    98.1 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

tecnogadget

I got some EQ filters from REW according to my listening position measurements.

Is it OK to apply?

Picture:
https://ibb.co/QmDsj9d

Absolutely not ok. You will kill your amp with that EQ o_O.
See the first line ? (62.5Hz / Gain 15) That means you are making the amp push 15dB of extra power on that low frequency, stressing the amp.
Every time you are pushing the volume 3dB that means you are doubling the power in watts !! 15dB is very way out of line. When designing an EQ filter even 6dB is considered high.
The smart way to EQ is to cut down frequencies as much as you are alowed (that does not hurt/stress the amp) and boost as few frequencies as you are allowed. There are several threads and discussions about EQ you can search in ASR.

You can limit in REW how much dB goes up or down on the settings of the EQ filter, at the right of the interface.

Other than that, there’s no much anybody could point out by just watching the values of the EQ, a measurement or at least the prediction of the filter would tell more of the story.

eyes-on-you

Absolutely not ok. You will kill your amp with that EQ o_O.
See the first line ? (62.5Hz / Gain 15) That means you are making the amp push 15dB of extra power on that low frequency, stressing the amp.
Every time you are pushing the volume 3dB that means you are doubling the power in watts !! 15dB is very way out of line. When designing an EQ filter even 6dB is considered high.
The smart way to EQ is to cut down frequencies as much as you are alowed (that does not hurt/stress the amp) and boost as few frequencies as you are allowed. There are several threads and discussions about EQ you can search in ASR.

You can limit in REW how much dB goes up or down on the settings of the EQ filter, at the right of the interface.

Other than that, there’s no much anybody could point out by just watching the values of the EQ, a measurement or at least the prediction of the filter would tell more of the story.

Hello there,

Thank you for the reply.

Last nighr, I listened to music for 2 hours with these settings. My amp did not overheat and the clipping light did not come on.

It is Benchmark AHB2 and I'm using with medium gain.

According to you; Should I limit the gain level to 6db when creating EQs via REW?

If anyone has any other thoughts, I'd love to hear.

I have no idea how healthy it is to use it this way.

tecnogadget

Hello there,

Thank you for the reply.

Last nighr, I listened to music for 2 hours with these settings. My amp did not overheat and the clipping light did not come on.

It is Benchmark AHB2 and I'm using with medium gain.

According to you; Should I limit the gain level to 6db when creating EQs via REW?

If anyone has any other thoughts, I'd love to hear.

I have no idea how healthy it is to use it this way.

Ok, luckily you are using one of the best amplifiers out there ( Benchmark AHB2 ), with plenty of power, and handles difficult loads with ease. Not overheating is a very good indicator.

Still I'm not fond of the EQ you have uploaded. Since its having very wild swings (going from -17dB to +15dB), makes me thing the target setting "Target Level(dB)" was not wisely set. A good advice would be to check filter tasks and limit the "Individual max boost" and "overall max boost", play with this numbers until you find the best compromise.

What I'm more interested in is if you like/enjoy the stock sound of your speakers ? Without any kind of EQ, and without the influence of whatever you may have read on this thread or forum.

HooStat

Is there another setting that is taking the whole signal down by 15 db first? So effectively the + 15 db is just going back to 0?

Top Bottom