• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Jitter solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Slower and faster has nothing to do with jitter.
Jitter is very, very small changes (usually noise alike) in periodic way.
What you say has to do with frequency stability.
You can have perfect stability but still have jitter.
Every clock is free running and when they are sync'd they follow the master which has jitter too.

OP
M

mike7877

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Slower and faster has nothing to do with jitter.
Jitter is very, very small changes (usually noise alike) in periodic way.
What you say has to do with frequency stability.
You can have perfect stability but still have jitter.
Every clock is free running and when they are sync'd they follow the master which has jitter too.

Yes, I know jitter. I'm talking about jitter - individual cycles coming sooner or later than they should...

edit: remember my idea though, if the master came in sooner than at least 2 of the other clocks it was ignored. (999 of the 1000 cycles of the slave clocks were not used, just when all 4 clocks met, (or were supposed to meet))

Last edited:

Nutul

A counter is immune to jitter. It just counts periods.
A counter is based on a clock, therefore, in an electronic device it is subject to the (same) noise that is supposed to induce jitter in any othe clock.

OP
M

mike7877

A counter is based on a clock, therefore, in an electronic device it is subject to the (same) noise that is supposed to induce jitter in any othe clock.

You can definitely make clock-less counters
(essentially their input is the clock and each cycle they increase their count by 1)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
(essentially their input is the clock and each cycle they increase their count by 1)
You aren't listening to anything or anyone are you? You don't know how to make it work, don't know enough to understand the reasons everyone is giving you for why it won't work, but you are steadfast and firm in the belief and faith in your idea.

OP
M

mike7877

You aren't listening to anything or anyone are you? You don't know how to make it work, don't know enough to understand the reasons everyone is giving you for why it won't work, but you are steadfast and firm in the belief and faith in your idea.

I already said I get why it doesn't work lmao. Long ago.
The first time the reason was properly described, in fact. Look for the nice and succinct post a couple pages ago, in a single sentence.

1698692849805.png

Nutul

This I meant. so your counter is depending on one of those clocks you want to optimize by using a counter... but I understood that you also understood, so my comment was also superfluous by now.
Cheers, Al.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom