• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL LSR305P MKii and Control 1 Pro Monitors Review

DavidMcRoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
From noaudiophile.com (see attachment)

Attachments

• FA230C1E-7F6E-436B-ABB9-10011E543E8E.png
    FA230C1E-7F6E-436B-ABB9-10011E543E8E.png
    201.2 KB · Views: 209

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
From noaudiophile.com (see attachment)
http://noaudiophile.com/JBL_LSR305/JBL_LSR305.txt

Preamp: -2 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 835 Hz Gain -2.2 dB Q 3.0
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 1110 Hz Gain 4.0 dB Q 6.0
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1343 Hz Gain -4.8 dB Q 2.32
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1620 Hz Gain 3.5 dB Q 6.0
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 2384 Hz Gain -1.4 dB Q 3.0
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 3650 Hz Gain 0.4 dB Q 6.0
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 5000 Hz Gain -0.5 dB Q 2.07
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 6987 Hz Gain 0.7 dB Q 3.0
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 8874 Hz Gain -1.7 dB Q 2.0
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 11851 Hz Gain 1.7 dB Q 3.5
Filter 11: ON PK Fc 15150 Hz Gain -2.7 dB Q 1.59
Filter 12: ON HS Fc 1000 Hz Gain 0.5 dB

Deluxillo

I have one question. I just eqed the low freq to +15db. Is this a reasonable fix for the lack of subass? Or I will suffer from distorsion? Im hearing it okay. Is imperative to get a subwoofer if you can eq?

Last edited:

DavidMcRoy

I have one question. I just eqed the low freq to +15db. Is this a reasonable fix for the lack of subass? Or I will suffer from distorsion? Im hearing it okay. Is imperative to get a subwoofer if you can eq?

Don’t do it. The speaker isn’t designed to reproduce frequencies below 47Hz, I think. You’ll need a subwoofer.

Deluxillo

Don’t do it. The speaker isn’t designed to reproduce frequencies below 47Hz, I think. You’ll need a subwoofer.
Sounds better. Can I harm the speakers? The 30-59hz region gainned more presence and its more balanced
Sin título.png

I did it by hear. I hope in the future with a microphone I could do it better. No one eq the subass region?

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Does anyone know if the LSR305 has some EQ preset somewhere?

It has crossover and presumably JBL has preprogrammed some biquads in the amp chip.

https://www.st.com/resource/en/datasheet/sta350b.pdf

"Also provided in the STA350Bx are a full assortment of digital processing features. This includes up to 8 programmable biquads (EQ) per channel.

Special digital signal processing techniques are available in order to manage low-frequency quantization noise in case of very low frequency cutoff filter thresholds.

The coefficient range -4..4 allows the easy implementation of high shelf filters.

Available presets allow the advantage of earlier time-tomarket by substantially reducing the amount of software development needed for certain functions. This includes audio preset volume loudness, preset volume curves and preset EQ settings.

There are also new advanced AM radio interference reduction modes.

Dual-band DRC dynamically equalizes the system to provide speaker linear frequency response regardless of output power level. This feature independently processes the two bands, controlling dynamically the output power level in each band and so providing better sound clarity."

Last edited:

Deluxillo

It has crossover and presumably JBL has preprogrammed some biquads in the amp chip.

https://www.st.com/resource/en/datasheet/sta350b.pdf

"Also provided in the STA350Bx are a full assortment of digital processing features. This includes up to 8 programmable biquads (EQ) per channel.

Special digital signal processing techniques are available in order to manage low-frequency quantization noise in case of very low frequency cutoff filter thresholds.

The coefficient range -4..4 allows the easy implementation of high shelf filters.

Available presets allow the advantage of earlier time-tomarket by substantially reducing the amount of software development needed for certain functions. This includes audio preset volume loudness, preset volume curves and preset EQ settings.

There are also new advanced AM radio interference reduction modes.

Dual-band DRC dynamically equalizes the system to provide speaker linear frequency response regardless of output power level. This feature independently processes the two bands, controlling dynamically the output power level in each band and so providing better sound clarity."
Sorry, but I am a newbie in this field. What exactly does this mean?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Sorry, but I am a newbie in this field. What exactly does this mean?

You asked: "Does anyone know if the LSR305 has some EQ preset somewhere? "

The answer I would give is that the amplifier chip in the LSR305 has many digital EQ (filter, crossover) settings that the manufacturer (JBL) can set to make the speaker what it is.

So the answer is "Yes".

And the answer is "No" becuase you (the user) can't set them, beyond having access to a couple of trim switches on the back of the speaker.

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Thanks for this. I just imported it into Peace/APO, is it supposed to look like this? That big dip around 1.4kHz seems a bit extreme...but I probably don't know what I'm talking about. :D

View attachment 111672
Nothing complicated about it...

NoAudiophile shows his in-room measurements:
http://noaudiophile.com/JBL_LSR305/
1612982391862.png

His PEQ filter is:
Which means he's creating a Peaking Filter, with gain of ~5dB.
In the picture above:
1. I'm showing you that the 1,343hz frequency peak (using a red-arrow) that he measured.
2. The green lines are showing that if you bring the peak down by ~5dB, it will match the rest of the in-room measurements.

Once we have anechoic data on this speaker (1st gen LSR305P), then we can create PEQ filters based on that, and it will be more accurate.
Otherwise, this is the next best thing.

Of course, if you have your own measurement microphone, feel free to confirm this frequency response and adjust your filters accordingly. :)

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 111760
His PEQ filter is:
In the picture above:
1. I'm showing you that the 1,343hz frequency peak (using a red-arrow) that he measured.
2. The green lines are showing that if you bring the peak down by ~5dB, it will match the rest of the in-room measurements.

Once we have anechoic data on this speaker (1st gen LSR305P), then we can create PEQ filters based on that, and it will be more accurate.

Of course, if you have your own measurement microphone, feel free to confirm this frequency response and adjust your filters accordingly. :)
What if each sample measurement differ?

snowsurfer

View attachment 111760
His PEQ filter is:
In the picture above:

Thanks! I'm actually planning to get a calibrated measurement mic and start messing with REW soon.

ralph

Get a pair so that you can get calibrated on what good sound is like
I'm listening to these speakers for a couple of days now and love what I hear - in my tiny room they easily do as well as the hifi speakers in my living room. Happy that I took Amir's review as a recommendation. Was a bit concerned about the hiss which turned out not to be an issue for me.

DavidMcRoy

I have a bunch of JBL 305P MkIIs and previous generation LSR 305s in an 11.1-channel Dolby Atmos system. The hiss level on all of them is negibible, in my estimation, and I’m accustomed to inefficient passive speakers like Magnepans driven by very quiet MOSFET power amplifiers. I can’t help but wonder whether there is some considerable variation from unit to unit or among production runs with 305s, since some users seem really vexed by it. I have to put my within a few inches of the tweeter to even hear it.

hyperplanar

I have a bunch of JBL 305P MkIIs and previous generation LSR 305s in an 11.1-channel Dolby Atmos system. The hiss level on all of them is negibible, in my estimation, and I’m accustomed to inefficient passive speakers like Magnepans driven by very quiet MOSFET power amplifiers. I can’t help but wonder whether there is some considerable variation from unit to unit or among production runs with 305s, since some users seem really vexed by it. I have to put my within a few inches of the tweeter to even hear it.

In my experience helping set up a bunch of different pairs for my friends over the years, they all hiss about the same (unless they have a noisy source or bad gain staging with the gain knob on the 305s set too high). It's not audible in a non-nearfield setup, but a lot of people are buying these as computer speakers, so therein lies the problem. The constant hiss can be a bit annoying at night when it's dead quiet and they're sitting on your computer desk. Of course, the tolerance level and hearing range/sensitivity varies amongst people too.

Reactions: Pio

Buckster

Definite variance in hiss

I have 2 LSR 305 mkI which I can only just very very faintly hear hiss if you try to listen for when playing nearfield from less than a metre away

I bought 2 308 mk IIs for living room for home cinema use and the hiss is both audible (and annoying) from 2.5-3m away !

The hiss does.not change on volume on rear or whether even plugged into any audio source

One has slightly more hiss than the other.

They sound good but the hiss is only just about acceptable even in living room if you listened carefully you would probably even hear it during quiet parts of a film

If they didn't have auto standby I would not be able to keep them in the living room at all

It's orders of magnitude louder hiss wise than the 305 mkIs

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Definite variance in hiss

I have 2 LSR 305 mkI which I can only just very very faintly hear hiss if you try to listen for when playing nearfield from less than a metre away

I bought 2 308 mk IIs for living room for home cinema use and the hiss is both audible (and annoying) from 2.5-3m away !

The hiss does.not change on volume on rear or whether even plugged into any audio source

One has slightly more hiss than the other.

They sound good but the hiss is only just about acceptable even in living room if you listened carefully you would probably even hear it during quiet parts of a film

If they didn't have auto standby I would not be able to keep them in the living room at all

It's orders of magnitude louder hiss wise than the 305 mkIs
I have x2 308p's and they both have the same amount of hiss, I listen at 2 metres and can't hear any hiss at that distance in a quiet room....at 1 metre distance I can barely hear it. Like you, I noticed that the hiss is not affected by volume position of the knob on the back of the speaker. I wouldn't want these speakers on my desk either side of my PC monitor for instance because they would be too close & I'd hear the hiss. I use them as TV/movie / music speakers in my living room so the hiss is a complete non-issue (can't be heard) at my listening position (2 metres as mentioned)

Koeitje

Major Contributor
What was the consensus about the differences between the first version and the MKII?

Top Bottom