• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PaperBoat

What is the "Q" value and the "Cut off frequency" of the JBL 305p MKii Boundary EQ? I want to replicate it using the Jriver low shelf software parametric Equalizer... Please help.
IMG_20220806_151740.jpg

Last edited:

witwald

Forum Donor
I'm not familiar with the Jriver low-shelf software parametric equalizer. What setting does it provide the user?

I'd hazard a guess that the JBL low-shelf filter was a second-order one, to minimize the width of the transition band. For this application, a useful low-shelf filter that was –3dB at 70Hz would be –1.5dB at around 140Hz, and close to 0dB by 280Hz or so.

OP
PaperBoat

PaperBoat

I'm not familiar with the Jriver low-shelf software parametric equalizer. What setting does it provide the user?
Nothing special... It's just an another standard parametric equalizer.

I'd hazard a guess that the JBL low-shelf filter was a second-order one, to minimize the width of the transition band. For this application, a useful low-shelf filter that was –3dB at 70Hz would be –1.5dB at around 140Hz, and close to 0dB by 280Hz or so.
Okay... Cut off at 70Hz... But what would be the "Q" value?

witwald

Forum Donor
I've found some details on the JRiver Wiki User Manual. It seems that Q would need to be 1. As you want the low-shelf cut filter to be –3dB at 70Hz, you would set the gain to be -3dB, and the center frequency needs to be higher than 70Hz. That center frequency actually corresponds to the frequency where the gain is -3/2 = -1.5dB. In your case, the setting for the center frequency will be about 180Hz.

Last edited:

witwald

Forum Donor
Your question relates to an earlier answer of mine, now edited, and it no longer applies (my apologies for the confusion). Below is a simulation of a –3dB 2nd-order low shelf filter with f0 (center frequency) of 180Hz. As you can see, it's close to –3dB at 70Hz.
1659786954349.png

OP
PaperBoat

PaperBoat

Your question relates to an earlier answer of mine, now edited, and it no longer applies (my apologies for the confusion). Below is a simulation of a –3dB 2nd-order low shelf filter with f0 (center frequency) of 180Hz. As you can see, it's close to –3dB at 70Hz.
View attachment 222727
Many thanks... It's helped me a lot...

thorvat

Okay... Cut off at 70Hz... But what would be the "Q" value?

Low/High shelf filters don't have "Q" as a parameter, only frequency and gain. ;)

In fact, they can have, but funny things start to happen if you use any other value other than 1. For example Q=0.2 or Q=2 have wildly different shapes.

Last edited:

ernestcarl

Major Contributor

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know if your question has been answered already but just put the microphone really close to the woofer (1 to 2 cm) and measure and you should clearly see the difference.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Low/High shelf filters don't have "Q" as a parameter, only frequency and gain. ;)

In fact, they can have, but funny things start to happen if you use any other value other than 1. For example Q=0.2 or Q=2 have wildly different shapes.

I think you mean 0.707? because that's the default value as far as a i know.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Yes, 0.707- Frequently noted as 1 in many software solutions, which only helps spreading the confusion. :D

I believe the Roon PEQ Amir uses has its shelf Q default as 1.0 as well. And which is why Maiky creates generated filters without any shelving at all. Indeed it can get confusing (and annoying) once you find out you’re not getting what the EQ graph shows.

OP
PaperBoat

PaperBoat

Yes, 0.707- Frequently noted as 1 in many software solutions, which only helps spreading the confusion. :D
What! Is 0.707 also equal to 1 on some other softwares?! Then how get confirmed about it?

thorvat

What! Is 0.707 also equal to 1 on some other softwares?! Then how get confirmed about it?

It is easy to tell. If Q is higher than 0.707 than shape will have "anomaly" like shown on the graph below (this is real Q=1):

Capture.JPG

If Q is lower than 0.707 than slope will be less steep and longer.

OP
PaperBoat

PaperBoat

The shelving filter, yes:

View attachment 222801

If you use rePhase, REW's "generic" peak filters have the same Q as "proportional" type filters.
I'm looking for single band low shelf PEQ setup in the JMC... My target frequency is 70Hz and attenuation is -3dB for PEQ and -6dB for PEQ2 (for interchangeable use) setups. What would be the "center frequencies" for PEQ and PEQ2 setup in JRiver? Please help.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I'm looking for single band low shelf PEQ setup in the JMC... My target frequency is 70Hz and attenuation is -3dB for PEQ and -6dB for PEQ2 (for interchangeable use) setups. What would be the "center frequencies" for PEQ and PEQ2 setup in JRiver? Please help.

The generic shelving filters in REW’s EQ window (absent Q option) is pretty much what-you-see-is-what-you-get in jRiver if you just keep the Q to the default 1.0 setting. It really only gets confusing when you use other EQ software that has a different equivalent bandwidth value by comparison like switching between JR and rePhase — I use both — where one must be cognizant in manually changing the Q to 0.707 instead.

So literally use your preferred center frequency and gain, but leave the Q as is i.e. as 1 shown in the graphic.

If you want to model any other Q value besides the default of 1, there’s a link to a handy conversion formula/calculator in the jRiver wiki pages covering the topic of Parametric Equalization.

Top Bottom