• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is my amp enough for my speakers?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I am very new to Speaker amps so I am confused if that is enough headroom for the speaker to sound optimal.
It is less about the speaker sounding "optimal", since it is rated to handle 180 W, than how loudly you want to listen. The link I provided also has a comparison table, pasted below, that relates SPL to various real-world examples. I have actually been next to a newspaper press and it is not something you want to be near without ear protection. Given peaks may be 15~20 dB or so above your average level (headroom), your amp should provide an average level of around 80 dB with 20 dB headroom for peaks, which is very loud to me. I listen around 60 to 70 dB only rarely going louder. Based on that, and assuming you want to retain your hearing in the future, the 120 W/ch WiiM amp should be plenty loud enough. If you found an amp rated for 180 W, the max spec of the R3's, that would only provide a small (<2 dB) increase in volume so I think what you have now should be fine.

1706817684668.png

OP
C

CarlToft

You have the gear, right? Does it play loud enough for you? If so, your good! Don’t worry and enjoy!
The amp is being shipped to me very soon so if the amp is not powerful enough i can get a full refund.

OP
C

CarlToft

It is less about the speaker sounding "optimal", since it is rated to handle 180 W, than how loudly you want to listen. The link I provided also has a comparison table, pasted below, that relates SPL to various real-world examples. I have actually been next to a newspaper press and it is not something you want to be near without ear protection. Given peaks may be 15~20 dB or so above your average level (headroom), your amp should provide an average level of around 80 dB with 20 dB headroom for peaks, which is very loud to me. I listen around 60 to 70 dB only rarely going louder. Based on that, and assuming you want to retain your hearing in the future, the 120 W/ch WiiM amp should be plenty loud enough. If you found an amp rated for 180 W, the max spec of the R3's, that would only provide a small (<2 dB) increase in volume so I think what you have now should be fine.

View attachment 346654
Thanks alot for the help and i will keep the amp then:)

Top Bottom