• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Irritating Dog Habit

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A college buddy had an Akita that had to get his vocal cord removed or it was gonna be the gas chamber for the poor fellow!:(
I once watched this heavyweight Akita pick-up a german shepherd by the throat (w/his jaws) and rag-dolled him to the ground!
The GS knew he had been had, and stayed motionless on the ground! << What an awesome sight to behold!
That's rowdy! My blond male german shepherd (The bush dog.) was suddenly attacked by a large'ish poodle and the shepherd ripped it's face partially off. It required lotsa stitches. I was going to say sorry to the owner but we where walking along the shepherd was leashed and the poodle just ran up and attacked out of the blue.

KellenVancouver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A college buddy had an Akita that had to get his vocal cord removed or it was gonna be the gas chamber for the poor fellow!:(
I once watched this heavyweight Akita pick-up a german shepherd by the throat (w/his jaws) and rag-dolled him to the ground!
The GS knew he had been had, and stayed motionless on the ground! << What an awesome sight to behold!
Yep, Akitas are uber powerful. Bred to be hunters. Bred to kill. Like the Maremma, probably less than ideal in an urban setting, although my neighbor has one that seems okay.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
There are working versions that stand more erect and have their rear legs more vertical looking and then there are the show dogs that have the rear legs sticking out the back on a angle like this pics shows.
over in europe some breeders started going against the "norm" and started finding those working versions and working with them, glad to say....it has gone way too far with weird "standards"

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I grew up around all sorts of dogs; self, family, friends...

LhasoApsos << 2 that only I could separate when they tore into each other
Pekingese << that was fugly with crooked jaws/teeth
Retrievers << too friendly and obedient (aka 'carpet dogs')
OEsheepdog << 2 yr. old unruly/bird-brain that took my 2-week 'crash' training course ...lived happy for another 9
GermanSheps << great friends
Keeshound << the guardian of kids
SiberianHusky << Hardest to train w/o breaking their wild-side
Mutts from the pound << if there was an "all American" breed...
Chihuahuas << makes great footballs (not so much, soccer balls):facepalm:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Retrievers << too friendly and obedient (aka 'carpet dogs')
I mentioned the trainability of the golden retriever that I had and how fast it could learn new things that where useful to us. It was very apparent to me that a hunter could use this sort of easily trained dog in a big way.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I mentioned the trainability of the golden retriever that I had and how fast it could learn new things that where useful to us. It was very apparent to me that a hunter could use this sort of easily trained dog in a big way.
Yeah, the original goldens; I took to calling them 'carpet' dogs because, at one point, they'd become as common as the carpets in every living room.:D
GoldenDoodles, LabraDoodles (and all them designer breeds) seem to have invaded the suburbs and they have become the new status/virtue signalling (re: Rolex Dan D'Agostino gear)!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, the original goldens; I took to calling them 'carpet' dogs because, at one point, they'd become as common as the carpets in every living room.:D
GoldenDoodles, LabraDoodles (and all them designer breeds) seem to have invaded the suburbs and they have become the new status/virtue signalling (re: Rolex Dan D'Agostino gear)!
Those doodle dogs look cool. :D

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Those doodle dogs look cool. :D
202211_2ThumbsDown.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, the original goldens
When I took the dog out for a city walk I would use my special whistle pleasing sound as positive reinforcement for training and he actually anticipated the whistle, would wait for my whistle to indicate good or not and he would respond to it. I saw more than a few fellow walkers admiring the dog and some of them wore camo sorta duck hunter clothing (Is fairly common here.) and I bet they where thinking about what they could do with a dog like that. I had a guy come up and ask what kind of dog it was and I told him and he said but where is the long hair and I said I trimmed it off because it gathers wet snow and ice and it seems to hurt when it does that. So I buzzed it off and left the short fur. Long fur can be seen dangling from belly etc. I buzzed all that off and made the dog look like slender'ishy and more streamlined. It looked like a totally different dog.
Golden-Retriever-675x450.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I like them. I see them often in a wealthier area of the city that I frequent. They always look so alert, fluffy hair and waiting for something awesome to happen. There is one large sheepdog that I've seen several times and they brush the living life outta that dog and it's fur shines and floats in the air it is so light and fluffy. Great dog watching neighborhood.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The ~$3500 for a designer *doodle is better spent on a new pair of speakers or sumsuch!:p
Lol @ sneakers. I know a guy with thousands of sneakers. Some of them worth thousands of dollars. He lays them out in his bedroom and adjusts them and displays different ones whenever he gets the urge. He says it is his sneakers retirement fund.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Lol @ sneakers. I know a guy with thousands of sneakers. Some of them worth thousands of dollars. He lays them out in his bedroom and adjusts them and displays different ones whenever he gets the urge. He says it is his sneakers retirement fund.
The bottom just fell out of that market about sneakers... but I was talking about sPeakers (you just did a Rosanne Rosanadona:facepalm:)
It turns out either Addidas or Nike has done a NFT-like ditty and you can now buy your own sneaker but it is digital... no! really!
But may tank like FTX/SBF!
LATE ADD: "What Is an NFT Sneaker, and Why Is It Worth $10,000?"

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I went the other way with dogs. I adopted a x racing greyhound. Super sweet, not so bright, loving, loyal. Sight hounds then became my thing. I now have a Borzoi. Super sweet, not so bright, loving, and loyal. You need to find the breed that can best live with you with your rules.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The bottom just fell out of that market about sneakers... but I was talking about sPeakers (you just did a Rosanne Rosanadona:facepalm:)
It turns out either Addidas or Nike has done a NFT-like ditty and you can now buy your own sneaker but it is digital... no! really!
But may tank like FTX/SBF!
I'm having a weird day... This is the second time I've misread stuff. :D

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I went the other way with dogs. I adopted a x racing greyhound ...
Friend was into that rescueing Mexican racing-greyhounds mission.
I walked into his house and his sliding door had masking tape on the glass. I asked.
It turns out that these rescue dogs do not know what glass is o_O and have to be trained to 'see' it.

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
The only irritating things about dogs are bad owners. I'm 68 now. My first dog was called "Throck" a Scotty in 1957, "Elmore" a German Shorthair 1962, "Rip" GSP 1968,
"Hoop" Beagle pound dog 1975-1988, "Gracy" Rottweiler 1989-1998. "TyTy" Toy Fox Terrier 1999-2016, Parson Russel Terrier "Bubs" 2000-2013 and a
Jack Russel Terrier 2017-present.

There will be dogs in heaven, it's the people I'm not so sure about.

My current buddy BubToo has learned not to move cables or knock over cable stands. I keep all cables off the floor. It's to hard to clean if I don't. I have a rabbit too.
Junior will chew on stuff at 6 years old he is quite content to stay in his two fenced areas. One is a dog run that Gracy the Rottweiler used.
The other is in the house in a 60" x 60" area. It took a while to train the dog about the rabbit.

The dog is a TRAINED ratter. There few things I don't care for, RATS and flies is another. Teaching that dog the rabbit wasn't an oversized rat took a few
rabbit floor mopping to get right. BubToo never hurt the rabbit but brought him to me twice. They are buddies now BUT it took a while.
Rats on the other hand. 1-2 second tops. They never get away from her. Rats 0, Bubtoo 400+. We cleared 5 cabins close to Clearlake and some wood piles.
There was a water supply, food and hardly any predators. The predators they drew were Puma.

Wonderful combination, RATS, CATS, FLEAS and TICKS. The Puma scat kept the dear out, THEY (the dear) didn't eat the garden it burnt down last summer. LOL
500 rats between 5 dogs in one day. 20 gallons of concentrated peppermint oil was mixed at 100 to 1 and sprayed for two weeks.
No more, RATS, CATS, FLEAS, or TICKS. Now the guy just has BEARS, DEAR, RACCONS and other people. It smells nice too.

I grow fruit, rats like fruit, I don't like rats, the neighbor starts to feed the birds, the food brings the rats, I declare WAR. The End! Shortest book in history.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The predators they drew were Puma.
We call them cougars here in Canada. They get large. They attack ~13 or so people per year I've noticed from reading the news. Where abouts are you that they are called puma?

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
I've always called them Puma or North American Mountain Lions. I was born in Waco Texas, raised in the deep south as a youngster, then
overseas. Back to the US after Kennedy was killed. Moved to the Bay Area. The Delta has been home base for 56 years now. We have Puma
within 20 miles of me. Berkeley. With all the goof ball students it gives the actually area little OTHER attention.

Cattle and dairy is what the region /was/is known for "Berkeley Farms" Richmond has the same mild climate for greenhouses year round.

Artichokes, Avocados, cabbage, brussel sprouts, squash, tomatoes, cucumbers, grapes, apples, pears, peaches, apricots, pistachio, almond,
wall-nut, lettuce, kale, beats, peppers, corn, sunflowers, melons, oranges, nectarines, lemons, oranges, tangerines, cherries, and even
Vanilla Orchids if you want. (Vanilla Planifolia). Some of the old greenhouses grew year round flowers too.

The problem with Vanilla is the labor to harvest it and the time it takes to mature and then age the beans. I spent 15 years figuring that one out.
It's harder than growing pot or produce. That's not subjective either. That is a fact. LOL

I keep a couple kilos of fresh Madagascar and Mexican Vanilla Beans from Veracruz here.

Makes great Christmas presents (Vanilla) or you can just buy them a new pair of the flagship Wilsons.. LOL 900K

There are Puma in them thar hills! Yes sir re-Bob. 80lb crossbred coyotes too. Coywolf! That crock got in my swimming pool in Jamaica on a job site.
I didn't like that crock doing that. Rum and crocks don't mix. Mechanic 1, Crock 0. That's my size 13 boot.

Attachments

• 20141120_110824[1].jpg
    20141120_110824[1].jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Top Bottom