• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Irritating Dog Habit

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There are Puma in them thar hills! Yes sir re-Bob. 80lb crossbred coyotes too. Coywolf!
My bush dog big blond male german shepherd was either chasing down a pack of coyotes or running with them. The neighbors said they saw it and they believed he was running with them in daylight. He was eventually shot dead by a neighbor for killing his chickens. 303 to the chest. It would be instantaneous.

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
The weird thing is normally for a dog to run with coyotes they bate and kill them. If the the dog is big enough they won't and the female
will back the big alfa. I'm sure that is how the rather rare wolfs in some areas semi-survived with Coywolf crossbreeding. The islands in our delta
have very large coyote because there is no competitive specie and as long as they leave domestics alone they usually aren't hunted.

Feral pigs are fair game. IF coyote mess with livestock on the other hand. Cattle dogs make short work if they get out of hand, if not. There are a few local
Buffalo Bills around. A male dog that has bread is a different dog. He will always try to run nothing will stop him either. Two males fight.
Just natures way with dogs. Females not so much. I couldn't stop a male from running so I fixed the female and he stayed home.

Hoop the dog was so bad the guy that ran the pound would drop him off on the way home from work. Straight up "Convict" that dog.
Wanted Posters were laminated and kept current.

Regards

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The weird thing is normally for a dog to run with coyotes they bate and kill them. If the the dog is big enough they won't and the female
will back the big alfa. I'm sure that is how the rather rare wolfs in some areas semi-survived with Coywolf crossbreeding. The islands in our delta
have very large coyote because there is no competitive specie and as long as they leave domestics alone they usually aren't hunted.

Feral pigs are fair game. IF coyote mess with livestock on the other hand. Cattle dogs make short work if they get out of hand, if not. There are a few local
Buffalo Bills around. A male dog that has bread is a different dog. He will always try to run nothing will stop him either. Two males fight.
Just natures way with dogs. Females not so much. I couldn't stop a male from running so I fixed the female and he stayed home.

Hoop the dog was so bad the guy that ran the pound would drop him off on the way home from work. Straight up "Convict" that dog.
Wanted Posters were laminated and kept current.

Regards
Hmmz. The coyotes, wolves and cougars stayed away from livestock but the bears would go for the plums. They loves plums...lol. Breaking branches off the tree sort of love. That's what the dog was for but he had his nocturnal habit of running off to places unknown. It was a 5 foot heavy mesh fenced acreage with barbed wire and he figured out how to get over the fence.

olbobcat

I have had big and small dogs. They all need to be trained. The best dogs I had were Cojacks, Corgi, and Jack Russel mix. The Pembroke version was smart and obedient, The Cardigan was Smarter and more like an Australian Cattle dog. Nobody was trusted until I let them know they were friends. Now I have a JRT mix and a Chihuahua. Keeping them trained up is a must. Can't let them get away with anything. The chihuahuas have a neotenized brain. A Wolf goes through five levels of brain development, adults don't wag their tails, a dog has four levels and will wag their tail, and a chihuahua goes thru three which means they are always in adolescence. You have to let them know who is in charge just like your teenager.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
i thought of posting this in the funny section but it suits this topic better, i think

1668592076187.png

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
A college buddy had an Akita that had to get his vocal cord removed or it was gonna be the gas chamber for the poor fellow!
I talked to a Dr. about doing the same to an x-wife but he refused. :mad:
I'm having a weird day... This is the second time I've misread stuff.
Hummmm, I got a good idea why. LOL
It turns out that these rescue dogs do not know what glass is o_O and have to be trained to 'see' it.
I imagine it might be tuff if he has rabbit's running around the yard. :eek:
He was eventually shot dead by a neighbor for killing his chickens. 303 to the chest. It would be instantaneous.
Sad, sorry to hear it. :(

I grew up with a cocker mix, great loving dog.
After I've had Siberian Husky, Boxer, Doberman.
The worst was the Boxer, she was all white and the breeder was going to put her down, claimed that's was an unwritten rule for them.
I asked him not to so he gave her to me. Dumbest dog I ever met, after six months of house training she would still walk around the house
and take a crap whenever she was ready, even right in the living room while we were watching TV. Then when we hollered she would just
look at us like "what did I do wrong". I eventually gave her to a farmer as an outside dog. A shame as she was really beautiful.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...Dumbest dog I ever met, after six months of house training she would still walk around the house and take a crap whenever she was ready, even right in the living room while we were watching TV. ...
What did you expect? Mensa dog?
I took-in an old golden from the pound, (only bcuz da wifey did the puppydog-eyes on me). This %^&* dog would pee right on the carpet, while she was staring you down.
I eventually gave her to a farmer as an outside dog. A shame as she was really beautiful.
No pictures << didn't happen!:( [preferably nekkid]

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
No pictures << didn't happen!:( [preferably nekkid]
LOL, sorry it was over 40 years ago, no pictures exist, clothed or nekkid.

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
I like dogs. I found the younger the owner the more work the dog has cut out for themselves. Some owners are very stubborn and
refuse to understand, IF the dog craps in front of you, you ARE NOT paying attention to the dog. If the dog marks it is what dominate
dogs do. YOU are part of the pack not the other way around. Chihuahuas are the smartest dog but without the potential to carry out their
little dog, big attitude demeanor. They can stay pissed off.

My Toy Fox was the smartest dog I've ever had. The Jack and Parson Russel terriers was/are the smartest PEOPLE I ever met.
NOW that everyone know the pecking order. :) The rabbit, it's an ongoing battle of the wits.
They are smart unless it's March-May. Then males are pretty stupid. Sure a funny guy. Hopped up in my yard 6 years ago.
He was the size of a softball.. He EATS a softball + of green veggies and fruit everyday and a tropical rabbit feed.

Junior does summersaults for kale. Me and the dog not so much. :)
Junior was clear, NO RABBIT STEW! Human and dog were off the menu too until further notice too.

KellenVancouver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The worst was the Boxer, she was all white and the breeder was going to put her down, claimed that's was an unwritten rule for them.
I asked him not to so he gave her to me. Dumbest dog I ever met, after six months of house training she would still walk around the house
and take a crap whenever she was ready, even right in the living room while we were watching TV. Then when we hollered she would just
look at us like "what did I do wrong". I eventually gave her to a farmer as an outside dog. A shame as she was really beautiful.
For me the dumbest I've ever had, by a wide margin, was an Irish Setter. Beautiful breed and energy +++, but man, what an absolute dolt. Ugh.
On the other side of the fence was a Belgian Shepherd, specifically a Groenendael. Unbelievably smart compared to at least 95% of other breeds. Another beauty and hands down the best dog I've ever had. Eventually ran out of tricks to teach him. Never seemed to take him more than 10 minutes to learn a new one. Perfect personality. Only downside was his coat (shedding).

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
I have had big and small dogs. They all need to be trained. The best dogs I had were Cojacks, Corgi, and Jack Russel mix. The Pembroke version was smart and obedient, The Cardigan was Smarter and more like an Australian Cattle dog. Nobody was trusted until I let them know they were friends. Now I have a JRT mix and a Chihuahua. Keeping them trained up is a must. Can't let them get away with anything. The chihuahuas have a neotenized brain. A Wolf goes through five levels of brain development, adults don't wag their tails, a dog has four levels and will wag their tail, and a chihuahua goes thru three which means they are always in adolescence. You have to let them know who is in charge just like your teenager.
The last time I was bitten it was by a Chihuahua, walking down a street it lunged at my Westie, saw it coming tried to drag my Westie away it got me instead quite a lot of blood. The Chihuahua was with an old lady several women ran over and asked was she alright. Must have wondered if the sight of my blood upset her? Never learned a lot about dogs from it, but understood women better after that!
Wrapped my hand with a tissue went looking for Ann who was looking in a dress shop window. Said to her “Have you seen this?” She carried on looking in the window, said isn’t that dress a lovely colour and walked into the shop. Went looking for her sister Lynne found her sitting down on a bench, said “have you seen this?” She was too busy looking at a large dog approaching she said “wonder what breed it is?” walked off and got into conversation with its owners.
The moral of this sad tale?
To women, men matter less than upsetting a woman, looking at a dress or a dog.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The last time I was bitten it was by a Chihuahua, walking down a street it lunged at my Westie, saw it coming tried to drag my Westie away it got me instead quite a lot of blood. The Chihuahua was with an old lady several women ran over and asked was she alright. Must have wondered if the sight of my blood upset her? Never learned a lot about dogs from it, but understood women better after that!
Wrapped my hand with a tissue went looking for Ann who was looking in a dress shop window. Said to her “Have you seen this?” She carried on looking in the window, said isn’t that dress a lovely colour and walked into the shop. Went looking for her sister Lynne found her sitting down on a bench, said “have you seen this?” She was too busy looking at a large dog approaching she said “wonder what breed it is?” and walked off and got into conversation with its owners.
The moral of this sad tale?
To women, men matter less than upsetting a woman, looking at a dress or a dog.
Lol. My mother was the same way. I could have had a amputation and she would have given me a list of more chores in return. I've noticed what you described too...lol

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
On the other side of the fence was a Belgian Shepherd, specifically a Groenendael. Unbelievably smart compared to at least 95% of other breeds.
The German Shepherds we trained for scout-dog duty had incredible senses. They were used to walk point with their handler thru the jungle or paddies.
They could hear the wind passing over a tripwire or smell the presents of any type of buried explosives, enemy soldiers in area, more. A very valuable resource to have at the front of your squad. Not so good a thing for the handler, walking at point all the time is hazardous to your health. :mad:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The German Shepherds we trained for scout-dog duty had incredible senses. They were used to walk point with their handler thru the jungle or paddies.
They could hear the wind passing over a tripwire or smell the presents of any type of buried explosives, enemy soldiers in area, more. A very valuable resource to have at the front of your squad. Not so good a thing for the handler, walking at point all the time is hazardous to your health. :mad:
How on Earth did you get such a cakewalk duty as dog trainer? I bet that's a task many would love to have. :D

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Chihuahuas << make great footballs (not so much, soccer balls):facepalm:
Now you know why.
The last time I was bitten it was by a Chihuahua, walking down a street it lunged...
"Last Time"??????:oops:
Sounds like you were NOT a football/soccer player: The other option is a quick but an intimate meeting between your fist and that #$%^ chihuahua's snout!
Both take practice... that you may need... "the next time".

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
How on Earth did you get such a cakewalk duty as dog trainer? I bet that's a task many would love to have. :D
Cake Walk? LOL You misunderstand, I was being trained to be a handler, the guy walking point with the dog.
Thankfully I was not sent to a dog handlers unit, just a regular 11B10 Infantryman with the 1st Cavalry Division.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Cake Walk? LOL You misunderstand, I was being trained to be a handler, the guy walking point with the dog.
Thankfully I was not sent to a dog handlers unit, just a regular 11B10 Infantryman with the 1st Cavalry Division.
Ahhh IC you where the point man with the dog. Very very dangerous task. This was in Korea? ... and thanks for your service.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not THAT OLD LOL
Vietman, Thanks.
Wowowow. Vietnam was beacoup danger zone (Not that Korea wasn't) and you are fortunate to be alive after that. Did they give you any commendations or a medal for being a front line lead scout dog handler?

olbobcat

I had a fiest puppy several years ago that I was walking on a leash down the street and a German shepherd ran out and grabbed him. I kicked that dog so hard in the chest that he lifted off the ground. My dog was okay but never looked at bigger dogs the same way. He would always set a precedent of who was the boss. I read an article a few years back and the Doxie is the number 1 biter, followed by the Chihuahua, third place went to the JRT. I have had 2 of the 3 and really want a rough coat Doxie.

Top Bottom