• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Irritating Dog Habit

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have little experience with a JRT but the one that I did experience was a berzerking, fast moving, rat and mouse killing machine. We would open the door to a house that was going to be de-moused and in minutes there was dead mice. That dog thankfully was small because if it was large it would be dangerous. :D

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
I have little experience with a JRT but the one that I did experience was a berzerking, fast moving, rat and mouse killing machine. We would open the door to a house that was going to be de-moused and in minutes there was dead mice. That dog thankfully was small because if it was large it would be dangerous. :D
Just an historical note on terriers in general, bred to take down small game and vermin. While there were terriers in many European countries England and Wales had and have the biggest variety.
After the Norman conquest in 1066 by William I the treatment of the English even by the standards of the day was brutal and unrelenting. It got even worse when he died and his son William II (Rufus) became King. He issued an edict banning the English from hunting for large game. If any English were found out with any implement that could be used for hunting deer including large dogs, they were hung from the nearest tree. The only animals they could hunt for were rabbits etc. Led to a rise in the terrier population. When the Norman’s later conquered Wales the same rule applied.
William Rufus came to a swift end, out hunting one of his Knights accidentally shot him and he died. The Knight was banished and apart from that suffered no further punishment. That in itself tells a story?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just an historical note on terriers in general, bred to take down small game and vermin. While there were terriers in many European countries England and Wales had and have the biggest variety.
After the Norman conquest in 1066 by William I the treatment of the English even by the standards of the day was brutal and unrelenting. It got even worse when he died and his son William II (Rufus) became King. He issued an edict banning the English from hunting for large game. If any English were found out with any implement that could be used for hunting deer including large dogs, they were hung from the nearest tree. The only animals they could hunt for were rabbits etc. Led to a rise in the terrier population. When the Norman’s later conquered Wales the same rule applied.
William Rufus came to a swift end, out hunting one of his Knights accidentally shot him and he died. The Knight was banished and apart from that suffered no further punishment. That in itself tells a story?
O it tells a story. Karma got the best of Rufus. :D

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just an historical note on terriers in general, bred to take down small game and vermin.
Sounds like terriers were also good at taking down kings and all sorts of politicians!;)
Terriers would be cool even if they were not so smart!

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Sounds like terriers were also good at taking down kings and all sorts of politicians!;)
Terriers would be cool even if they were not so smart!
Unfortunately the persecution carried on for several centuries after Rufus met his end.

Top Bottom