• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Melamine foam in speaker cabinets?

ppataki

Major Contributor
I was reading somewhere that melamine foam is a great material for sound absorption and that it could potentially be used in speaker cabinets as well

Wikipedia seems to confirm the part about sound absorption:
'Being microporous it also effectively absorbs sound waves.'
'Naturally lightweight, melamine foam is also used as insulation for pipes and ductwork, and as a soundproofing material for studios, sound stages, auditoriums, and the like.'
'These properties suit it as the main sound and thermal insulation material for Shinkansen bullet trains.'

Anyway I got my hands on some:

20240130_175955.jpg

My question is: should this be used to replace the felt that I use on the internal walls of the cabinet (for sound absorption) or shall it be used to replace the polyester wad that I use for the filling to 'make the cabinet bigger' (acoustically speaking)? Or both? Or neither?

I would appreciate the help of fellow ASR members here, thank you
(the whole topic came up also because I can manage to get 100 pieces of these for 20 USD...)

fluid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Basotect is melamine foam, so the magic sponges that you have can be used in much the same way. It works quite well when used just by itself on the walls when that works for the design. All damping materials have their own properties and it is a good idea to do a few tests to see how they interact with each other in any specific design. In my own experiments felt and foam does work quite well together.

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
Thank you @fluid
I will definitely try - just ordered 100 pcs
Do you happen to know what glue I shall use? I was also thinking that since it is a foam I can just simply squeeze them in place if needed

fluid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do you happen to know what glue I shall use?
Test anything you have to see if it works if you want to keep costs down, otherwise there are things like 3M Super 74 and contact adhesives for foam.
I was also thinking that since it is a foam I can just simply squeeze them in place if needed
They are quite malleable, but you can change the properties by compressing them too much. Gas/air needs to move through the material to be absorbed/damped otherwise it just reflects.

Top Bottom