• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Irritating Dog Habit

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Around here one rehoming centre is well known for saying dogs were strays found on the streets. They are so desperate to rehome it means they don’t tell of behavioural problems.
I have often wondered if that smooth collie had some sort of brain issue like schizophrenia for dogs or some other affliction. Because it was nutters.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I guess I would have to stick with this suggestion, I will try my very best and if it won't work then I'm going to ask for a help on a professional animal trainer.

Thank you all for the insights.
Get a professional. Your breed needs to be trained. You are going to determine if the dog takes to its training. You must be crazy over the top consistant all the time. No letting it slide if the dog acts up. I have experience on doing this with people but that was a long time ago. People can be trained, it just takes a lot of stick to get them there. Good Luck with your dog. A trained dog is so much more fun to live with! :)

I can't believe I posted on a five year old thread. I'm a dork sometimes!

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
I can't believe I posted on a five year old thread.
All good... everyone likes a necro thread now and then, keeps people on their toes. :cool:

e0f2da10bba9642b1593bdc34217e033e024c8fa.gif

JSmith

Holmz

Major Contributor
Around here one rehoming centre is well known for saying dogs were strays found on the streets. They are so desperate to rehome it means they don’t tell of behavioural problems.

I just take them from the RSPCA and drive to the restaurant and drop them off there.
Three dogs, and I get a free meal.
It is a win win.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
I have often wondered if that smooth collie had some sort of brain issue like schizophrenia for dogs or some other affliction. Because it was nutters.

there's a big problem with people getting dogs because they look sweet, maybe they've seen them on TV or whatever....

noone really considers the needs of the breed, collies are known to get problematic if they're not stimulated properly (both phisicaly and even more mentally)

@Sal1950 as much as i've loved germans whole my life (even growing up with one), i freaking hate how the breeders deformed almost the entire population in the last few years (see pic), that's probably why it's mostly belgian malinois at the shows lately

2880px-GSD-Metrics.svg.png

and btw, are you sure it's hemmorhoids, not just a full anal gland? :p

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
there's a big problem with people getting dogs because they look sweet, maybe they've seen them on TV or whatever....

noone really considers the needs of the breed, collies are known to get problematic if they're not stimulated properly (both phisicaly and even more mentally)

@Sal1950 as much as i've loved germans whole my life (even growing up with one), i freaking hate how the breeders deformed almost the entire population in the last few years (see pic), that's probably why it's mostly belgian malinois at the shows lately

and btw, are you sure it's hemmorhoids, not just a full anal gland? :p
A few years ago the German Shepard winning best in breed at Crufts was banned from the show by the Vets oversight committee. It’s rear back and legs were so weak it was classed as being deformed.
When the Kennel Club recognised Jack Russells as a breed, got worried how long the breed would stay healthy. Too many breeders go for appearance and exaggeration. For many years we have seen breeds being downsized, look at the stupid size limitations imposed by the AKC on French Bulldogs, maximum weight for a male 28lbs, stupidity personified.

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
no one really considers the needs of the breed, collies are known to get problematic if they're not stimulated properly (both phisicaly and even more mentally)
...and btw, are you sure it's hemmorhoids, not just a full anal gland? :p
Weren't there some years or decade(s)? where the American Kennel Club would not allow German Shepherds to compete at the national level?
Oh! Here it is:
"A number of breeds have been restricted or banned, including Rottweilers, American Staffordshire Bull Terriers ("Pit Bulls"), Chow Chows, German Shepherd Dogs, and Doberman Pinschers, and the list is growing." (article written circa 2001...)
202211_GermanShepherd.jpg

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
If you saw that smooth collie I had so many issues with you would add it to the aggressive list too. :D
Border collies are a working breed, highly intelligent and need constant exercise. Keeping them as pets is cruel, tried one thirty years ago and quickly realised how difficult it was for him being housebound for most of the day and night.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Too many breeders go for appearance and exaggeration.
All breeds with a reputation for aggressive behaviour.
The problem is selective breeding. Whatever the breed, unscrupulous breeders start inter-family breeding over and over, mother & son, father & daughter, grandchildern, over and over. They're called puppy farms and because they won't spend the $ to constantly bring in new bloodlines, their offspring starts to become genetically messed up, with crazy psychotic dogs. It's happened to just about every breed that's gotten very popular, sad.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Border collies are a working breed, highly intelligent and need constant exercise. Keeping them as pets is cruel, tried one thirty years ago and quickly realised how difficult it was for him being housebound for most of the day and night.
My smooth collie got exercise in the mornings before work and about 1 to 1.5 hours in the afternoons after work, if I was feeling like it he got a night walk too and on weekends he got all my time and had car rides to far away places, lotsa walks and even some forest exercise but I stopped that because he would disappear and I think he was running deer, lots of frisbee games and running at the athletic field where there was hardly anybody but seagulls (Which he chased and jumped into the air trying to bite.) He adjusted his schedule (If he had one) to make me fit a new schedule which he made sure that I followed. Morning wake time, feeding time and walk times times where all according to his schedule and he made sure that I knew that he would not take no for a answer. He was trainable although only for short periods of time and then he would go right back to his rowdy rebellious ways. I also had a male golden retriever. I trained him to react to a special whistle noise that I can make and that indicated to him he did good and did what I wanted and after that I just used the positive reinforcement whistle for training. I could train him to do stuff in minutes and he would remember. He was a bit of a handful when I first got him but after a brief ~5 minutes effort showing him that I expected him to be calm and walk slower he took to that easily and walked slowly and was attentive to my needs. Then I had to train him to not bark at the door or growl at people and that was easy too. I bought a large $15 pouch of beef jerky and had unknown people feed him pieces until he associated new people with beef jerky...lol. It worked really well and the results where fast. He wagged at people after that and asked for permission to approach them. That was a awesome dog but he died in his sleep one night and was found in rigor mortis. That was not a fun morning because everybody loved that dog and we where all sniffly and stuff.

Reactions: MAB

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think German Shepherds were barred from competition because the breed was [ummmm...] too inbred... as @bloodshoteyed indicated in his reply.
Apparently one can tell what breeding a german shepherd has had. There are 3 classes of german shepherds I read. There are working versions that stand more erect and have their rear legs more vertical looking and then there are the show dogs that have the rear legs sticking out the back on a angle like this pics shows. I have had 2 of the large working versions and they where tough as nails but great personal dogs and one was a great bush dog that was very good at rustling out whatever was around me as I went on bush walks on the uninhabited side of the Columbia River where I lived. I appreciated that because the place is crawling with black and grizzly bears, coyotes and wolves and lotsa deer and elk. Very tough dogs from what I expereinced.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
The problem is selective breeding. Whatever the breed, unscrupulous breeders start inter-family breeding over and over, mother & son, father & daughter, grandchildern, over and over. They're called puppy farms and because they won't spend the $ to constantly bring in new bloodlines, their offspring starts to become genetically messed up, with crazy psychotic dogs. It's happened to just about every breed that's gotten very popular, sad.
Puppie farms are responsible but not all in breeding is in puppy farms, many registered breeders are no better. My Sister in Law has had three dogs from the same registered show dog breeder with many championship show awards. All three have been unhealthy yet their pedigrees show no evidence of inbreeding. The only conclusion I came too is breeders do each other a favour and allowing them to claim different sires that aren’t true. Saving in stud fees and the need to transport dogs over long distances for breeding.

KellenVancouver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I had a 150-pound Maremma. His bark was so loud he put my audio system to shame. Not good for neighbors. Tried the bark-shock collar and it only surprised him the first time, after which he pretty much ignored it. Next tried the citron spray version, another failure. Bottom line is that breed had to be on a farm, and that was the final step, letting him go. Lesson learned: by very careful about the breed you acquire, very selective about its behavioral characteristics. Only pure-bred dogs.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a 150-pound Maremma. His bark was so loud he put my audio system to shame. Not good for neighbors. Tried the bark-shock collar and it only surprised him the first time, after which he pretty much ignored it. Next tried the citron spray version, another failure. Bottom line is that breed had to be on a farm, and that was the final step, letting him go. Lesson learned: by very careful about the breed you acquire, very selective about its behavioral characteristics. Only pure-bred dogs.
A college buddy had an Akita that had to get his vocal cord removed or it was gonna be the gas chamber for the poor fellow!:(
I once watched this heavyweight Akita pick-up a german shepherd by the throat (w/his jaws) and rag-dolled him to the ground!
The GS knew he had been had, and stayed motionless on the ground! << What an awesome sight to behold!

Top Bottom