1. WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Irritating Dog Habit

Discussion in 'Member Area' started by thelexa, Aug 1, 2017.

1. thelexa

thelexa Member

I would like to know if it is safe to use an e-collar to correct some unwanted behavior of my Akita. I came across these shock collars and I'm wondering what are the pros and cons of using this type of product in training my dog. Do any of you have any experience with anything like a shock collar? I know this would probably be better suited for a pet forum but thought I'd ask for opinions here anyway.

2. amirm

amirm Founder/Admin CFO (Chief Fun Officer) Staff Member

I don't but every time I investigate them, there are many, many people objecting to their use.

thelexa likes this.
  3. thelexa

thelexa Member

Thank you, your help is highly appreciated. I am really torn between buying or looking for another great alternative to correct the behavior of my dog.

4. The Smokester

The Smokester Active Member

I have friends who are serious show doggers. But, they use adjustable and the minimum voltage required to get the dog's attention. In moderation...usually when they are running away out of control, and only on dogs that need it. One collar has a vibration option instead of e-shock.

5. RayDunzl

RayDunzl Major Contributor Central Scrutinizer

Wear it yourself for a week.

Eric Auer, watchnerd and Blumlein 88 like this.
  6. The Smokester

The Smokester Active Member

If you already have the dog, and it is out of control, it can be the better choice. Like I posted above, they don't have to operate at 10kV, or even use an electrical shock.

7. amirm

amirm Founder/Admin CFO (Chief Fun Officer) Staff Member

Looked for someone doing this and found this video:

The Smokester likes this.
  8. Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88 Major Contributor

Haven't known of them used by anyone except in conjunction with those wireless fences. Dog has a collar and gets a bit of a shock if they start to get close to a buried wire marking the limits of where they are permitted to go. Those seem to work very well, and the dog quickly learns how close is too close to the buried wire. They learn quicker if you initially mark the wire with a row of little flags.

I did know of one dog that somehow figured out if he got past it the shock went away. He normally would stay inside his invisible fence. Periodically however, he would run toward it and throw himself across the buried wire. He knew where it was and would throw himself down and roll thru it. He would get up and shake himself good on the other side, and then go about his business whatever it was.

9. Thomas savage

Thomas savage Moderator Moderator Patreon Donor The Watchman

Best way to train a dog is through positive reinforcement.

Eric Auer and thelexa like this.
  10. Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88 Major Contributor

Amen to that in most cases. It is more effective, selective and you can train more complex behaviour.

An oldie, but a goodie, if you have never read it is:

https://www.amazon.com/Dont-Shoot-Dog-Teaching-Training/dp/1860542387/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

Don't shoot the Dog.

Which contrary to the title isn't all that much about dog training instead being about positive reinforcement training. After you read it, get an up to date book specifically about training dogs. It is a far more preferable experience for you and the dog.

One bit of training judo for bad behaviours. Reinforce it, train it, get your dog to reliably do the bad behaviour immediately upon command. Vary the reinforcement schedule so it becomes a very strongly trained behaviour. Then simply never give the command for that behaviour.

Of course if the behaviour is biting the postman this one might not be best approached this way.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  11. Sal1950

Sal1950 Major Contributor The Chicago Crusher

Tried one on my ex-wife, still couldn't get her trained properly. :eek:

12. Jinjuku

Jinjuku Senior Member

I've been tazed as a teen when we thought it would be fun to taze each other. It had it's funny moments and every body on the ground laughing.

I would consult a dog trainer first. Behaviors are usually correctable but an Akita as a breed has their idiosyncrasies.

13. thelexa

thelexa Member

I guess I would have to stick with this suggestion, I will try my very best and if it won't work then I'm going to ask for a help on a professional animal trainer.

Thank you all for the insights.

The Smokester likes this.
  14. NorthSky

NorthSky Major Contributor

Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
    Who is that beautiful young lady in your avatar?

15. Chuck Gerlach

Chuck Gerlach Member

@amirm Thanks for posting that video on dog collars. Most certainly removed my misconceptions on how to use them and how they work .

16. Eric Auer

Eric Auer Member

You should never have to use a collar to train a dog.

I had several Border Collies over the years and none were trained with a collar.

No surprise to hear that a show dog would need one, as they are bred purely for looks. A shame really. Dogs should be bred with intelligence and temperament as top priorities.

Beauty comes from within.

[​IMG]

Eric

17. NorthSky

NorthSky Major Contributor

Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
    20170914_125842.jpg A new dog, Flinn, ate the couch.

amirm likes this.
  18. Wombat

Wombat Senior Member

I recently saw a TV vet showing an owner how to stop her dog from chasing her sheep. A collar using a spray of citronella worked a treat. The remote control had a warning 'beep' button, a 'puff' button and a damn good squirt button. Dogs cannot stand citronella. No harm done to the dog and happy sheep.