• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integrated stereo amplifier with bass-management?

doug s.

I see the (Bass Section) part of the ARC website blurb, but Anthem Room Correction's site talks all about room correction across the bands. Curious to know what the difference is.

Pretty set on the Arendal 1961 Monitors and 1S. That sub is damn good for the price and fits the formfactor I want for under my desk. The 1961 Monitors are made to be mounted on-wall. I'm going for a fully VESA wall-mounted setup with no stands or wires visible. They are incredibly low-profile and I like the way they look better than anything else. They also measure incredibly well.

Just looking for an amp/crossover recommendation.
if the monitors are made to be wall mounted, then it's very possible (likely?) that the dsp for the forte would be sufficient.

regarding the sub, it may be good for the price, but, i prefer spending less and getting more... you may have to wait to find what you want, but it's worth it - imo, of course. things like this come up frequently, but you have to act quickly, because the good deals also go quickly:
https://www.usaudiomart.com/details...alex-acoustics-gramma-v2-isolation-platforms/
and if you don't want two, similar deals can be found for single subs, for even less $$$. of course, if you want the arendal sub, who am i to stop you? ;)

re: the amp, the forte looks like a good deal for the $$$ at its closeout price. there's an infinite choice at that price range if you shop used, but you likely won't get bass management or the small form factor, and honestly, the choices are truly overwhelming; impossible for me (or most anyone, imo) to say "ya - xxx amp is killer at the price and will work great in this set-up, and with your listening preferences".

re: x-overs, i really like marchand, they're expensive, but compared to other hi-end offering they're a good deal. once in a great while you'll find a deal on a used iteration. so, i'd recommend a new or used dbx, something like this:
https://www.audiosavings.com/dbx-23...1FhuU8Ffac273XdppellVj6T_A2r76eRoC2V8QAvD_BwE

you don't really need anything with more options than a 2-way x-over, dbx also makes the 223 instead of the 234, but the unit i posted above is priced the same as what the 2-way goes for. these are really quite good units, and likely more than good enough for your desired use. in a super high end dedicated listening system, the marchand x-overs might be worth the added expense.
https://dbxpro.com/en/product_families/crossovers

doug s.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What *is* this discussion about? There are a hundred options available for an integrated stereo amp with digital inputs, configurable subwoofer cutoffs (and some with analog inputs too, which I don't need), some even with Dirac. They range fro a few hundred bucks for a NAD D3020 (even phono thrown in, if u care for that) to NAD's top integrated amp, and many others. It's a mystery to me how someone could not find what they want in a year... :)

Last edited:

doug s.

What *is* this discussion about? There are a hundred options available for an integrated stereo amp with digital inputs, configurable subwoofer cutoffs (and some with analog inputs too, which I don't need), some even with Dirac. They range fro a few hundred bucks for a NAD D3020 (even phono thrown in, if u care for that) to NAD's top integrated amp, and many others. It's a mystery to me how someone could not find what they want in a year... :)
agreed there are lots of solutions, but i'm not aware of any integrated amp that has stereo subwoofer outs, and built-in x-over that lets you low-pass the subs and hi-pass the main speakers. the d3020 you mention certainly isn't' one.

doug s.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do please read the specs in my OP and give me a few suggestions out of that hundred you know.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
NAD D3045, D7050, C399, C700, M10, M33 ... do your own homework... plenty out there from other brands too... :)

Last edited:
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
NAD D3045, D7050, C399, C700, M10, M33 ... do your own homework... plenty out there from other brands too... :)
I did my homework but you failed to read the specs.

D3045 & D7050 doesn’t have adjustable crossover. (I assume you understand what bass management means?) The other models are outside the budget.

JEarle

Forum Donor
Very interesting thread. Im not sure why the OP is so aggressive though. Do the other posters owe him something?

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I did my homework but you failed to read the specs.

D3045 & D7050 doesn’t have adjustable crossover. (I assume you understand what bass management means?) The other models are outside the budget.

The D7050 definitely has fully adjustable crossover. You can set it up with the app. I have not established the exact slopes of the low-pass filter, but it works really well (easy enough to check with test tones). It does not, however, have an analog input (which personally I have not had a need for in eons, but that's just me).

I do think the 3045 does too, but haven't configured it first hand. I have seen the C700 offered as a demo very close to the budget. I also think ELAC had an amp in the price range.

Most amps that have a sub output do the bass management as 80Hz with a 3db per octave slope (unless they offer xover configuration), and coincidentally that seems to work the best very often. :) I have mine set up at 70Hz, but the difference is pretty inaudible.

Last edited:

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the OP's responses to be a tad curt given the fact people are trying to be (a) helpful and (b) constructively establish where making a compromise or two on expectation may make sense. Maybe, just maybe, it the budget is tight you may have to compromise on expectations - or wait until the more expensive options become available at a lower price (and they always do). But that's just me. :) I think this can be a very helpful thread for many. Being able to effectively manage a sub allows one to get great sound out of top bookshelf speakers. I personally believe that huge full range tower speakers combined with nuclear power amps are an audio anachronism: far more difficult to set up in realistic rooms etc.

I think the NAD D7050 (used) is a budget gem. It works so well and looks so tidy I haven't bothered to reconnect the Benchmark DAC2HGC and NAD M22 it "temporarily" replaced. And the LS50 seem to sound just a tad more focused when they don't get stuff under 70Hz-ish (we all know it's not a perfect cutoff). These days the D7050 can be found for under $500 bucks when they become available.

Cautions with getting a used D7050:
(1) Make sure you get a pic with the LED display on. The power on circuitry is a design weakness, but the ones that have survived seem reliable.
(1b) Inability to turn on the unit due to the (horrible) touch power button is a common cause of death, and some try to still score $ for dead units)
(2) Make sure you're a digital person only
(3) If you like great tactile feel of the controls on the unit, forget it. It's a unit built for remote control.
(4) Turn off the powersaving mode (I think it may be responsible for frying the unit)

PS: Yes, the D7050 is not recommended here, but if you go check the amp ratings it scores very highly in sinad, and if you check other tests it measures very well as an amp. No one in their right mind would use it as a DAC.

Last edited:

JEarle

Forum Donor
I think the OP's responses to be a tad curt given the fact people are trying to be (a) helpful and (b) constructively establish where makin a compromise or two on expectation may make sense. Maybe, just maybe, it the budget is tight you may have to compromise on expectations - or wait until the more expensive options become available at a lower price (and they always do).

I think the NAD D7050 (used) is a budget gem. It works so well and looks so tidy I haven't bothered to reconnect the Benchmark DAC2HGC and NAD M22 it "temporarily" replaced. And the LS50 seem to sound just a tad more focused when they don't get stuff under 70Hz-ish (we all know it's not a perfect cutoff). These days the D7050 can be found for under $500 bucks when they become available.

Cautions with getting a used D7050:
(1) Make sure you get a pic with the LED display on. The power on circuitry is a design weakness, but the ones that have survived seem reliable.
(2) Make sure you're a digital person only
(3) If you like great tactile feel of the controls on the unit, forget it. It's a unit built for remote control.
(4) Turn off the powersaving mode (I think it may be responsible for frying the unit)

PS: Yes, the D7050 is not recommended here, but if you go check the amp ratings it scores very highly in sinad, and if you check other tests it measures very well as an amp. No one in their right mind would use it as a DAC only.
I have the D7050, it does a lot of things well and the crossover works great. I run some little Cambridge Audio Minx 12's in my cabin off of mine, they really, really need a crossover at 150Hz and this is the only 'cheaper' option that I found to be able to do it.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the D7050, it does a lot of things well and the crossover works great. I run some little Cambridge Audio Minx 12's in my cabin off of mine, they really, really need a crossover at 150Hz and this is the only 'cheaper' option that I found to be able to do it.
I do the exact same in my remote cabin - i run a D7050 with Totem Dreamcatchers and a cheap Yamaha sub. Sound pretty darn awesome. Only odd thing is how much mice love to build a temporary nest in the Yamaha sub. Now my cat (Boli, an audiophile) waits in front of the port in the sub when we get to the cabin and I turn on some music. :)

JEarle

Forum Donor
I do the exact same in my remote cabin - i run a D7050 with Totem Dreamcatchers and a cheap Yamaha sub. Sound pretty darn awesome. Only odd thing is how much mice love to build a temporary nest in the Yamaha sub. Now my cat (Boli, an audiophile) waits in front of the port in the sub when we get to the cabin and I turn on some music. :)
I need a cabin cat!

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The D7050 definitely has fully adjustable crossover. You can set it up with the app. I have not established the exact slopes of the low-pass filter, but it works really well (easy enough to check with test tones).
This is the only mention of a subwoofer in the manual of D7050, which NAD says is discontinued.

Low frequency information up to 200Hz is sent to the connected subwoofer via AUDIO OUT.

It does not, however, have an analog input (which personally I have not had a need for in eons, but that's just me).
I respect your choice but I hoped you respected my choice of wanting analogue inputs, before rudely telling me to "do your own homework". There has been 250+ posts on this thread, many made suggestions. In other words many had done their home work.

Most amps that have a sub output do the bass management as 80Hz with a 3db per octave slope (unless they offer xover configuration), and coincidentally that seems to work the best very often. :) I have mine set up at 70Hz, but the difference is pretty inaudible.
Here you are implying there are many amplifiers that fit the bill but the ones you have submitted have been proven not to. You also seem to now know what bass management means. First of all it does mean you must have a crossover, a HP filter for the main amplifier and a LP filter for the sub output. A crossover is one the spec points. Secondly, it also means that you can use it for 2.1 setup where the signal after the LP filter is summed to a mono sub output.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the OP's responses to be a tad curt given the fact people are trying to be (a) helpful and (b) constructively establish where making a compromise or two on expectation may make sense. Maybe, just maybe, it the budget is tight you may have to compromise on expectations - or wait until the more expensive options become available at a lower price (and they always do). But that's just me. :)
The help I am seeking is a list of amplifiers that fit the criteria.

What *is* this discussion about? There are a hundred options available for an integrated stereo amp with digital inputs, configurable subwoofer cutoffs (and some with analog inputs too, which I don't need)...
So far there were no amplifier the poster suggested, which fit the criteria. Maybe the poster can understand why there had been 250+ posts on this thread.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Very interesting thread. Im not sure why the OP is so aggressive though.
I am frustrated. It is difficult to be cordial to people who tells me to do my homework while they have themselves have not and change the specs because that is what they think is right.

Do the other posters owe him something?
Nobody owes me anything other than common courtesy to reply when you have something to add or simply move on when you don't.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You also seem to now know what bass management means. First of all it does mean you must have a crossover, a HP filter for the main amplifier and a LP filter for the sub output. A crossover is one the spec points. Secondly, it also means that you can use it for 2.1 setup where the signal after the LP filter is summed to a mono sub output.
What is wrong with you? That is exactly what the D7050 does. Your homework is sloppy. And go learn some manners.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What is wrong with you? That is exactly what the D7050 does. Your homework is sloppy. And go learn some manners.
There’s nothing wrong with me but it seems you seem to have a problem reading the specs.

Item 4. At least one analogue input

Last edited:

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There’s nothing wrong with me but it seems you seem to have a problem reading the specs.

Item 4. At least one analogue input
Nope - you told me I didn't know what bass management was. You're one silly dude.

drmevo

I haven't read the entire thread but I'm not sure you can get what you want any cheaper than the Parasound NewClassic 200 Integrated. $1300 is in the ballpark of the ~$1000 USD requirement. I bought one used for $800 so maybe that is an option.

Top Bottom