• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integrated stereo amplifier with bass-management?

Dasbeerboot

Another product, which could fit: Nubert AmpX.

Separate HP and LP for Sub and Main, in 1HZ (!) steps adjustable and EQ (well, not parametric). Analog In, USB In, HDMI in, Optical, Toslink, Phono, Bluetooth APTX.... And something like a "roomcorrection" (in fact its only some kind of very basic automatic EQ up to 200hz). Very nice build quality and if you own Nubert subs - it can give their signal wireless. Not to mention the superb remote control (metal). Onyl thing I'm missing is adjustable delay.

Yes I know, it was tested "badly" here, but don't take it too serious. Sounds very fine.

As I own it - If you have questions: just ask
Oof Amir posted a very unfavorable review of this unit.

withoutsuit

Oof Amir posted a very unfavorable review of this unit.

well, as I said, I know this test. But everyone should get It's own impression. All features together: there is not much competition out there, when the featureset is given - and there are many explanations from the nubert technicans about the tests and testsetting. I will not say anything more regarding that, to avoid some boiling pots here. There is enough information out there, If anybody is interested, just test it - It's free for 30 days :)

Fwiler

If you cared to read my original post, on both times, you would understand that I am not looking for a solution.

Except that your #1 requirement says you are looking for a solution.

I have not said what I want to achieve.

That makes a list of requirements irrelevant even if they are met. There is no logical reason to have requirements without a goal. But I believe there is a goal, which is sound quality, otherwise you wouldn't be concerned with subwoofers, cross-overs or "Good amplification suitable for Hi-Fi usage". In fact every single one of your requirements is trying to solve a problem you or someone else perceives, including the arbitrary $1k.
It doesn't sound like you are looking for 'just good enough' otherwise a slim avr wouldn't be off the table. In fact Sonos 5, and other 2.1 systems have analog input and variable crossover to their sub, and manual volume adjustment.

The problem of course, you will sacrifice greatly in sound quality for being so boxed in on requirements, mostly the all-in-one solution (like an avr or sonos). Even with a device that meets all requirements, you can introduce more issues, because you picked the wrong requirements in the first place. For instance an integrated adjustable subwoofer crossover I personally think it's worthless with one crossover point and is a crutch that people believe will solve an underlying issue. There is always going to be something you won't like such as interface, the cross-over components, the dac, the amp, don't match the speakers you picked.

I believe what you are asking for isn't completely out of the question, and I am surprised something so simple isn't made more readily available. But I can also see why manufacturers don't make these more. The majority want an AVR for multispeaker. Those in 2 channel want choice in components to maximize sound quality. Being boxed in without the ability to change a dac, or amp, or anything else goes against what the majority want. I see the same thing in all industries; everything from car manufacturers to video products, which is frustrating.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Except that your #1 requirement says you are looking for a solution.
‘A’ solution, does not mean a solution for me. Subtle maybe but very different.

Fwiler

‘A’ solution, does not mean a solution for me. Subtle maybe but very different.

Ok, 'A' solution it is. But you are the one asking for it. So don't argue semantics when someone is trying to help. Nobody cares if it's for you or not.

The following isn't directed at you, but the requirements.

One integrated solution makes no sense. Take two devices and put them in one empty box and now they're 'integrated'. Or one small device and hide it behind the other. Just because there's a cable between two doesn't change the functionality between integrated and separates.

Look how many changes in streaming have occurred in a short amount of time. Just having the 'connect' portion in a streamer is huge as opposed to streaming from your phone. My previous streamer couldn't do Tidal. Yeah, I could use my phone and stream to it over bluetooth, but that negates the quality. The point is, you are stuck with one box solution.

Several of the mentioned 'solutions' have problems if you read reviews, including things like overheating, really bad streaming (play-fi), disconnects, or bluetooth, which negates any advantage. Those people now have to decide what requirement is most important. Add another streamer to attach to the all in one that still has a good amp. Or maybe streaming works, but the amp went bad and they could output to a new amp. Then they've lost the integrated solution anyway. Or spend a lot of money for another all in one, which goes against the money requirement.

Not unlike an older Imac. Fantastic screen, speakers, mic, camera, network. Now basically useless because cpu is too slow and OS can't be updated. Basically stuck with a lot of good equipment that can't be used because of the all in one solution.

I don't even want to get into the variable crossover requirement which could go on for pages, but there's a reason you don't see it on most stereo systems and leave it at that.

Koloth

SVS Prime Wireless Soundbase Pro

Argon SA1

More options that would fit most criteria except probably for the variable crossover/highpass filter.
On the other hand they are quite inexpensive and well equipped on the streaming side of things.

(@sarumbear please dont feel required to respond to this. You arent looking for a solution for yourself and I am not looking to supply a solution to you.)

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, 'A' solution it is. But you are the one asking for it. So don't argue semantics when someone is trying to help. Nobody cares if it's for you or not.
Why are you even posting to me. If you are that rude keep it to yourself. Polite is a good virtue of a person, rude isn’t it.

Fwiler

Why are you even posting to me. If you are that rude keep it to yourself. Polite is a good virtue of a person, rude isn’t it.
Coming from someone that has been called out for being rude several times in multiple places including this thread, this has to be a joke.
My statement was to accept your bizarre explanation of 'A' solution, which apparently has a very different but subtle meaning than what everyone else uses. Stating that you shouldn't argue semantics when someone is trying to help isn't rude, it is common sense. You seem to lack that ability throughout this thread by telling people it's not for you. All I'm stating is that no one cares, because.. well.. no one does. It makes no difference who it's for, therefore there's no reason for you to keep saying it. If you take someone's reply wrong because you lack the ability to understand what they are trying to convey, then don't post for someone else.

raest

Coming from someone that has been called out for being rude several times in multiple places including this thread, this has to be a joke.

considering pretty much all who have called the OP rude have been hypocrites who had acted rude when the OP merely pointed out facts in a straightforward manner without resorting to name-calling...

oh, look... you got likes by those very same people. how "strange"

MCH

Major Contributor
This thread is delirious, and at the same time such a good source of information. I wish it lives very long. Not joking :D

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I bothered to reply to the unhelpful answers this is what the thread where I asked for a non-smart TV would have turned into after everyone just said it was hard so I might as well give up.

Last edited:

WarpedRhombus9

Interesting thread!

I feel a lot of people are missing the point that the OP is just wanting to start a discussion on this topic for its own merit - not looking for something to buy for himself. On the other hand this is a 15 page thread and its easy enough for a new reader to have missed some detail about the original brief. Everyone on the forum probably has good intentions and there has been a bit of miscommunication.

Personally I totally see the point of this brief for my own use case.

I am looking for a system for music and TV in a small living room space, I have to use small speakers that require a sub - and have been looking at everything from 2.1, 3.1, 4.1 and 5.1 systems.

I have been looking at AVRs for the multichannel setup, and its great that these have bass management. However, when you look at all the speakers around the room, the extra cost etc - you can end up thinking maybe I should just stick with stereo.

At that point, the extra channels feel redundant - and for many (myself included) all the video processing and hdmi ports etc are also unnecessary because I don't have any external boxes to plug in to the smart TV. Not to mention AVRs are mostly bulky (even the marantz Slimline ones) and quite ugly compared to many stereo amps; and although I'm no expert it does seem a lot say the stereo performance of AVRs is not as good.

So a stereo amp with bass management seems like a reasonable idea!

If I can add any value here: I noticed above there was some question as to whether the harmon kardon citation amp has a high pass filter. If you check the faq section on the web page, it says it does:

"
High pass filter
When the subwoofer is connected, the main channels are "Small", meaning that there is a high-pass filter. This ensures proper blending with the subwoofer.

Crossover settings
The Citation amp supports crossover settings in the range 50Hz - 120Hz. Default is 80Hz.
"

I've been having a good look at the sonos and the HK as they can be expanded to a 4.1 setup down the line and there are no wasted channels of amplification or video processing etc, plus they're quite minimalist as objects.

One other option I had considered was getting an old avr with stereo preouts, hiding it somewhere, and using these to pass to my old rotel stereo amp for the L/R speakers. Then the avr would basically be doing the crossover for me and could add some more speakers for tv if desired. I know this is not consistent with the OP's brief (and I would prefer to have one box) but is there any disadvantage in doing this if I can run in a mode that bypasses the AVR processing etc?

damirj79

Not sure about the crossovers though...

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Not sure about the crossovers though...
The manual says subwoofer is fixed at 80Hz, which is the standard. Variable frequency is better but otherwise it looks like a nice amplifier with a streamer to boot.

Thank you for finding this.

sgent

The manual says subwoofer is fixed at 80Hz, which is the standard. Variable frequency is better but otherwise it looks like a nice amplifier with a streamer to boot.

Thank you for finding this.
Unfortunately, it seems to be a low pass filter which is not useful as most subwoofers have this already, and it's the high pass that is needed.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately, it seems to be a low pass filter which is not useful as most subwoofers have this already, and it's the high pass that is needed.

WTF? What were the designers thinking?

djtetei

Dear sir, based on your "requests" at the beginning of the thread I would suggest you to connect your sources (CD player, network player, turntable, etc) to a standalone crossover with built-in delay capability or a speaker management system, commanded from a mixer. The standalone crossover or speaker management system can further be connected to the following setups:
- two channels amplifier for main speakers with one active subwoofer or passive subwoofer (driven by its on amplifier in mono or bridge mode)
- two channels amplifier for main speakers with two or more active subwoofers
- two monoblock amplifiers (one for main left speaker, one for main right speaker) with one active or passive subwoofer
- two monoblock amplifiers (one for main left speaker, one for main right speaker) with two or more active or passive subwoofers
Starting from your "requests" and my system setup suggestions, I leave to you the pleasure of scouting for the necessary equipment to fit your needs and the system and room requirements.
Thank you!

Last edited:

TK750

First off I haven't read the whole thread so sorry if this has already been mentioned:

It doesn't quite tick all the boxes but I think it's worth mentioning as it makes a pretty good go of it for a very low price and that's the SMSL A300. It has everything apart from the 'adjustable subwoofer crossover frequency' however it does have a high pass filter. There seems to be quite a lot of devices that fit the spec apart from the (adjustable) crossover, it does seem odd to have all these amps with sub outs but no way to cut the low frequencies from the main speakers.

Top Bottom