• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integrated stereo amplifier with bass-management?

sgent

The NAD C 368 ticks all of your requirements I think including a high-pass crossover and can even do streaming if you buy the optional BlueOS module.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The NAD C 368 ticks all of your requirements I think including a high-pass crossover and can even do streaming if you buy the optional BlueOS module.
It is indeed a good device. I read the manual but there’s no mention of the frequency range/steps of the high pass filter to the amp. It just says up to 300Hz. Do you have any knowledge?

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Outlaw's reply:

"In regards to the 2160MkII bass management, the "BP" option is true bypass which will allow you to use the internal crossover on your sub if you wish. This also means your main speakers are receiving no high-pass filters.
What?!? Maybe I'm missing something, but that sounds dumb to me. Bypassing the lowpass to avoid cascading with the sub's own probably nondefeatable is a nice option, however only doing so with no highpass option possibility bewilders me.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You need to elaborate what is it that you do not follow. What do you mean by "high level inputs connect to the speaker outputs on the integrated, connected in parallel to the speakers"?
Seems the OP figured it out; he thought the high level outputs from a sub had highpass filtering.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Shanman

Forum Donor
What?!? Maybe I'm missing something, but that sounds dumb to me. Bypassing the lowpass to avoid cascading with the sub's own probably nondefeatable is a nice option, however only doing so with no highpass option possibility bewilders me.

Yes, if you use the BP (bypass)switch on the back of the RR2160, it sends full bandwidth signal to the subwoofer where it's own internal crossover can be used, and full range goes to the left and right speakers.

If you pick one of the specific frequency selections (say 80Hz for example) other than the "BP", then the bass management of the RR2160 kicks in sending 80Hz and down LP to the sub, and 80Hz and up HP to the stereo speakers.

J.M.D

Hi All,

Actually I am kinda too in the same boat as the OP. But not exactly. My SMSL AO200 desktop Amp is on the way. But i would like to limit the low end on my AE1 bookshelves speakers around @70 to 80hz even tho its spec'd to play low 40Hz. The only solution comes to my mind are 'bass-blockers'. Any one has any better solution ?

Not to mention I will be integrating the sub with the mains thru high/speaker level connection on the sub.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Hi All,

Actually I am kinda too in the same boat as the OP. But not exactly. My SMSL AO200 desktop Amp is on the way. But i would like to limit the low end on my AE1 bookshelves speakers around @70 to 80hz even tho its spec'd to play low 40Hz. The only solution comes to my mind are 'bass-blockers'. Any one has any better solution ?

Not to mention I will be integrating the sub with the mains thru high/speaker level connection on the sub.

Perhaps your mains thru/high speaker level on the sub are highpassed? Which subwoofer is it?

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well no need for that, the SMSL has a subwoofer output. What I doubt it has is a highpass filter or any way to integrate one-read the manual, I hope I'm wrong. The AE1 per https://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/526/index.html does seem like it could really use the mercy of a highpass crossover. What controls their volume? Do they have a remote?
- A different problem is that AE1 appear to be active speakers with amplification inside, I don't see passive versions. So if you have active speakers why are you getting the SMSL?
- Also I'm not sure what you mean by "bass blockers." Do you mean like http://www.hlabs.com/products/crossovers/index_files/Page384.htm? Or do you mean literally a high level passive filter, like a capacitor in line with the speaker? That doesn't work well because unlike theoretical filters calculated into resistors, speakers are NOT resistors and their wildly swinging bass impedance screws up the filtering. The Harrison units could be used in-line with the AE1

J.M.D

Well no need for that, the SMSL has a subwoofer output. What I doubt it has is a highpass filter or any way to integrate one-read the manual, I hope I'm wrong. The AE1 per https://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/526/index.html does seem like it could really use the mercy of a highpass crossover. What controls their volume? Do they have a remote?
- A different problem is that AE1 appear to be active speakers with amplification inside, I don't see passive versions. So if you have active speakers why are you getting the SMSL?
- Also I'm not sure what you mean by "bass blockers." Do you mean like http://www.hlabs.com/products/crossovers/index_files/Page384.htm? Or do you mean literally a high level passive filter, like a capacitor in line with the speaker? That doesn't work well because unlike theoretical filters calculated into resistors, speakers are NOT resistors and their wildly swinging bass impedance screws up the filtering. The Harrison units could be used in-line with the AE1
Actually I have the AE1 Lite - https://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/support/discontinued-products/discontinued-aelite-series/. These are passive bookshelf speakers.

As of now, AE1's are hooked directly to the SMSL and the SMSL Sub-out to the DefTech ProSub 600-LFE input and then blended(Low-Pass Filter on Sub) with the mains. Quite frank, I like how this setup sounds as it feels wide & dynamic.

Yes, was talking about the bass-blocking capacitors initially, but then again dropped it, as was not feeling comfortable. Also had come across the harisson-units, but its a no-go for me as I am all on balanced stuff.

So all in all I have 2 sub sitting on the floor - 1{ProSub600} for stereo listening and 2nd {SB1000Pro} for Multichannel setup hooked to an AVR and then switching between stereo and Multichannel with an A/B switch connected to main speakers.

The only main reason I am not using SB1000 pro for stereo setup is due to the space constrain in my current room, but then again the little 8"driver on the ProSub does the Job.

lofiguy

Yes, was talking about the bass-blocking capacitors initially, but then again dropped it, as was not feeling comfortable. Also had come across the harisson-units, but its a no-go for me as I am all on balanced stuff.

lots of other vendors as well, i'm sure -- although i haven't shopped

chrispdx

I see that this is the now dedicated thread for this topic, so I will compile my suggestions from other threads here.

If you want to stick with active analog (so no AVR) bass management, Emotiva has a number of options (pardon if these have already been mentioned):
Parasound's NewClassic 200 integrated amp has variable high-pass filtered (20 Hz - 140 Hz) line-level and speaker-level main outs and either a full-range or a low-pass filtered (fixed at 80 Hz) mono subwoofer preout. Their HINT integrated amps have the same features except there are two dual low-pass filtered subwoofer preouts with a continuously variable crossover (20 H - 140 Hz). Their P3 - P6 preamplifiers have same bass management features as the HINT (excluding speaker-level outs, of course).

As for external or outboard active analog line-level crossovers-in-a-box ... these are discontinued but can be found used if you're lucky:
  • Outlaw Audio ICBM (dual/stereo subs) ... reviewed here
  • Paradigm X-30 (mono sub, use two for stereo) ... reviewed here (search on page for "X-30") and here (it was sold and reviewed along with Paradigm's Servo 15 subs)
  • Mirage's LFX-1/2/3 active crossovers for 1-3 channels (LFX-3 described here)
  • Energy EAC active stereo crossover (description)

Actungz

@sarumbear Which amplifier did you ultimately choose? If you haven't then perhaps I can suggest the Martin Logan Forte as the cheapest option. It's still being sold on their site, and since it should be identical to the Paradigm PW AMP then it should have an adjustable crossover.

Top Bottom