• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to integrate Yamaha NS-SW200 with Revel M16?

adrhc

hi, I want to configure Revel Concerta2 M16 (speakers) to play with Yamaha NS-SW200 (subwoofer). I'll use Yamaha A-S501 as the integrated stereo amplifier to which I'll connect the speakers and the subwoofer; they all will sit in my front at about 3.5m distance.

What subwoofer crossover frequency (i.e. LPF) should I use?
Is it possible to set some crossover frequency (i.e. HPF) for the speakers too? how?

PS: I can tweak the audio signal with
Easy Effects (HTPC runs it)
PS: see the high-cut subwoofer button on page 13 in en manual

1709230444683.png

HTPC audio outputs:
1709230699904.png

HTPC has also line out:
1709243346862.png

Last edited:

ppataki

Major Contributor
In this config the A-S501 will handle the sub integration and not your PC
This is only an educated guess but I think the S501 will not be able to apply a HPF filter on the speaker outs to the Revels
Your sub does have an LPF filter which is great
So this means that you will have only one half of the crossover covered (the LPF) but you will be missing the HPF part to remove the low frequencies from the Revels

This will work but it is far from being ideal

There are a few options to have a full crossover:
- put a miniDSP device between the PC and the Yamaha amp and the sub and apply DSP on the miniDSP
- get a multichannel DAC and apply the DSP on your PC
- and maybe more that others might comment on

The multichannel (4-channel is enough, like the UA Volt 4) DAC option will provide great quality and limitless flexibility - I am just not sure how to handle those devices/software under Linux

The miniDSP option is independent from the PC so it might be a better option for you

OP
A

adrhc

put a miniDSP device between the PC and the Yamaha amp and the sub and apply DSP on the miniDSP
@ppataki, I'm not an expert but I read a lot; still this confuses me a bit: how the miniDSP can help me with the HPF?

ppataki

Major Contributor
It will help you with the full crossover, read this, it will clarify:

ppataki

Major Contributor
And the same but using a Dirac capable miniDSP device:

ppataki

Major Contributor
Btw. how do you find that Yamaha sub?
I was reading about that servo technology - sounds great but not sure if it really makes any difference or is it only marketing gimmick?

OP
A

adrhc

Btw. how do you find that Yamaha sub?
I was reading about that servo technology - sounds great but not sure if it really makes any difference or is it only marketing gimmick?
It's easily available in Romania and I guess is good (very good?) but I'm not an expert to give you a better feedback; I'm such an "expert" that I like it much more than SVS SB1000-Pro and SB2000-Pro (I guess I don't like the sealed versions).

OP
A

adrhc

It will help you with the full crossover, read this, it will clarify:
@ppataki, I see no button/knob allowing me to adjust the HPF on miniDSP; is it possible to do it from some software run by miniDSP? Dirac Live 3.x is that software?

ppataki

Major Contributor
This is that part (from the above article)
You can adjust the frequency and the slope for both the HPF and the LPF

1000005446.jpg

OP
A

adrhc

Would it be a solution to connect the line-out (1x Jack to 2x RCA) to the (active) subwoofer while the optical to the amp, then to use Easy Effects to cut low frequencies going to the amp but let all frequencies to go to the subwoofer, then use the subwoofer's LPF knob to cut the received high frequencies?

PS: let's suppose HTPC is able to output on both optical and line-out

Last edited:

ppataki

Major Contributor
It might work, if you can output the same signal through those two outputs at the same time with the filters you mentioned
However there are two things to consider:
- will there be a time delay between the two signals? (Line out vs optical). If there is, theoretically you could compansate for that in the DSP in Ubuntu somehow
- the signal quality will be different because the line out will be using the PC's DAC while the optical signal will be converted to analog in the amp (although this difference might be totally inaudible). And actually this might be the root cause of the above question too

You can try nevertheless, there is nothing to lose :)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Per your integrated amp's manual, it already has attentuation on the sub pre-out after 90hz and a cutoff at 100hz. I see nothing about a high pass, though. You'd need an external unit like a miniDSP (which is software controlled/setup).

OP
A

adrhc

It might work, if you can output the same signal through those two outputs at the same time with the filters you mentioned
However there are two things to consider:
- will there be a time delay between the two signals? (Line out vs optical). If there is, theoretically you could compansate for that in the DSP in Ubuntu somehow
- the signal quality will be different because the line out will be using the PC's DAC while the optical signal will be converted to analog in the amp (although this difference might be totally inaudible). And actually this might be the root cause of the above question too

You can try nevertheless, there is nothing to lose :)

Asus mentions this audio specification:

ROG SupremeFX8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC S1220A
- Dual OP Amplifiers
- High quality120dBSNR stereo playback outputand113dBSNR recording input

Top Bottom