• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integrated stereo amplifier with bass-management?

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has the Sonos Amp been mentioned? It meets all the requirements listed in the OP. But physical volume control is not with a knob, it has up and down buttons. And you didn't say whether it needs to have controls to switch inputs on the device (you have to do that with the Sonos app, or it might have some autosensing that I haven't used). Analog line input measures poorly but I don't think it is too bad in reality.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't read the entire thread but I'm not sure you can get what you want any cheaper than the Parasound NewClassic 200 Integrated. $1300 is in the ballpark of the ~$1000 USD requirement. I bought one used for $800 so maybe that is an option.
It is a good device, however, I have listed on my OP as not satisfying the spec. From what I read in the manual, subwoofer filter frequency is fixed at 80Hz, which fails item 7 of the spec. It’s strange that the HP filter is adjustable but LP is fixed.

FYI the ELAC amplifier satisfies the spec fully and it is cheaper.

Last edited:
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Has the Sonos Amp been mentioned? It meets all the requirements listed in the OP. But physical volume control is not with a knob, it has up and down buttons. And you didn't say whether it needs to have controls to switch inputs on the device (you have to do that with the Sonos app, or it might have some autosensing that I haven't used). Analog line input measures poorly but I don't think it is too bad in reality.
Thank you for the suggestion. I agree that it is indeed a good amplifier but as you correctly noticed, it fails specs item 3. Physical (continues) volume control and not depending on an app to use it.

I amended the volume control definition (in parenthesis) for clarification but the amplifier does depend on an app to use it, hence it fails to satisfy the spec (input selection is a main part of using an amplifier).

Last edited:

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

FYI the ELAC amplifier satisfies the spec fully and it is cheaper.

well you are welcome :p Geez dude. :) I haven't heard the ELAC but it got great review and darn good measurements in German Audio mag. Glad I could help. :)

And before you're able to claim you did your homework on your own and have nobody to thank, I just said in post #248 "... I have seen the C700 offered as a demo very close to the budget. I also think ELAC has an amp in the price range .." It's there for all to see...so yeah, it'll be hard to you to yet again curtly dismiss the answers, and yet again refuse any thanks to anyone providing a helpful pointer.

In my humble opinion, we will revolutionize audio with these new age 2:1 architectures. Less $, less space, greatly reduced Wattage... and I'd argue better sound that is easier to optimize to a real world room.

@sarumbear I thank you for keeping this thread of discovery going that will help others. I hope you can be equally cordial in return sometime. To someone else. Personally I could not possibly care less about your social ability to acknowledge helpful suggestions. :) You clearly don't have a track record there...

Last edited:
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And before you're able to claim you did your homework on your own and have nobody to thank, I just said in post #248 "... I have seen the C700 offered as a demo very close to the budget. I also think ELAC has an amp in the price range .." It's there for all to see...so yeah, it'll be hard to you to yet again curtly dismiss the answers, and yet again refuse any thanks to anyone providing a helpful pointer.
Copied below from my original post, post #1.

So far the following mentioned. All failed to satisfy the above criteria other than the ELAC (last item). I am trying to find out what else is out there.

[...]
[...]
  • 9. Available to the UK (i.e. on sale in the UK as new.)

Last edited:

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Copied below from my original post, post #1.
WTF if you supposedly already knew from the first post why do you waste everybody's time, and foremost why don't you let go of your initial "demands" given the simple fact that people checking this may *not* be interested in all of your requirements? Be it because they are more compromising or smarter or both?
Let it go. you stopped being the owner of this thread about integrated DAC and amp alternatives as soon as you posted it, and have just been an annoying curmudgeon since. You provided a service. You go do your less ADD ridden homework henceforth and good luck to you.

Last edited:
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
WTF if you supposedly already knew from the first post why do you waste everybody's time, and foremost why don't you let go of your initial "demands" given the simple fact that people checking this may *not* be interested in all of your requirements? Be it because they are more compromising or smarter or both?
Let it go. you stopped being the owner of this thread about integrated DAC and amp alternatives as soon as you posted it, and have just been an annoying curmudgeon since. You provided a service. You go do your less ADD ridden homework henceforth and good luck to you.
Do please try to be polite and refrain from using four-letter words even though they are hidden in an acronym.

I started this thread saying as clear as possible that I am trying to create a list of equipment that fits a criteria, which is an integrated amplifier that has bass-management to suit a 2.1 setup. I gave some examples that does not fit the criteria and said that so far only the ELAC amp met the criteria. It looks like you missed that as you suggested ELAC as a new option 247 post later.

I do not have "demands." I am simply trying to create a list of amplifiers. If anyone can help I will appreciate it but I do not deserve to be called names! That is plain rude and I expected that to be unacceptable on a public forum.

Last edited:

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Thread notice: This thread is a constant source of Reports. If this continues we will close this thread entirely. Either get along or move along. Please and thank you. :(

raest

It is absolutely baffling how few amplifiers offer a sub out, but no high pass filter for the mains (even fixed, let alone adjustable), yet provide a low pass filter for the sub... a feature that's less useful than snake oil cables, considering 99% of powered subs have an (ajdustable) LP filter. as the internet people of old would say: "i don't even..."

but even more baffling is the incredible amount of egocentric posters who are unable to read the first post and become disgustingly aggressive towards the OP, while pretending to be polite and accusing the OP of being aggressive, repeatedly.

mind-blowing... and not a good impression of the average membership for a newbie like me. almost dissuaded me from registering :confused:

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
but even more baffling is the incredible amount of egocentric posters who are unable to read the first post and become disgustingly aggressive towards the OP, while pretending to be polite and accusing the OP of being aggressive, repeatedly.

mind-blowing... and not a good impression of the average membership for a newbie like me. almost dissuaded me from registering :confused:
Thank you for noticing. I am on the verge of leaving the forum. The motto here is "Strive not for validation, but rather to be valued." I find it a strange request on a forum where objectivity and science is at the forefront. If you cannot validate how can you be objective and isn't value subjective?

Last edited:

doug s.

it seems the elac would work if you were ok w/mono summed bass. i'd still go the outboard x-over route. and if you wanted to keep it simpler, there are quite a few integrated amps with preamp out/main input loops; which are very convenient to insert an active x-over into - just run the pre out to the x-over, the x-over's low pass to the subs, and the hi pass to the integrated's main inputs. a dedicated tape monitor loop would also work.

creek and arcam come to mind as quality units that are a decent deal when purchased used; i'm sure there's others.
https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649842518-creek-destiny-integrated-amplifier/
https://www.ebay.com/itm/203574528501
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133694850777
https://www.ebay.com/itm/224879446898

good deals also come up occasionally on the creek 5350se integrated; (these are sold):
https://reverb.com/item/7490450-creek-5350se-integrated-amplifier-2005-silver
https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649773368-creek-5350se/

much more rare is the roksan caspian integrated, which would also be a good choice, imo. and i'm sure there's others i'm not as familiar with...

doug s.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
it seems the elac would work if you were ok w/mono summed bass. i'd still go the outboard x-over route. and if you wanted to keep it simpler, there are quite a few integrated amps with preamp out/main input loops; which are very convenient to insert an active x-over into - just run the pre out to the x-over, the x-over's low pass to the subs, and the hi pass to the integrated's main inputs. a dedicated tape monitor loop would also work.

creek and arcam come to mind as quality units that are a decent deal when purchased used; i'm sure there's others.
https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649842518-creek-destiny-integrated-amplifier/
https://www.ebay.com/itm/203574528501
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133694850777
https://www.ebay.com/itm/224879446898

good deals also come up occasionally on the creek 5350se integrated; (these are sold):
https://reverb.com/item/7490450-creek-5350se-integrated-amplifier-2005-silver
https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649773368-creek-5350se/

much more rare is the roksan caspian integrated, which would also be a good choice, imo. and i'm sure there's others i'm not as familiar with...

doug s.
Thank you for your input. As the spec is for 2.1 setup, mono sub out is a requirement not a hindrance. The spec also says integrated units and new ones.

I like to clarify again that I’m not looking for a solution for myself. I’m trying to create a list of amplifiers that fit a spec. So far few models are suggested that qualifies the spec. I will soon post a list.

Dasbeerboot

Thank you for your input. As the spec is for 2.1 setup, mono sub out is a requirement not a hindrance. The spec also says integrated units and new ones.

I like to clarify again that I’m not looking for a solution for myself. I’m trying to create a list of amplifiers that fit a spec. So far few models are suggested that qualifies the spec. I will soon post a list.
I appreciate it. As someone who is looking for your exact request, this thread is very helpful.

mmi

Thank you for the suggestion. I agree that it is indeed a good amplifier but as you correctly noticed, it fails specs item 3. Physical (continues) volume control and not depending on an app to use it.

I amended the volume control definition (in parenthesis) for clarification but the amplifier does depend on an app to use it, hence it fails to satisfy the spec (input selection is a main part of using an amplifier).

I’m going to play devils advocate for the Sonos Amp making the list, whilst possibly failing at most one criteria. First it does have physical volume buttons, is it just semantics to suggest these are any different to a knob? Second it switches input automatically with some smarts involved in knowing what is preferred to be playing, so selecting input is possible (it just happens magically) and doesn’t require an app.

Also one thing the Sonos Amp has that a lot of gear is missing these days is a loudness setting. I really don’t know why it isn’t recommended more here, the review was weirdly negative when, from a performance + features to cost perspective, it is arguably the best value stereo amp out there.

Otherwise I appreciate you putting this thread together and sticking to your guns, you’ve proven simple, affordable bass management in a basic 2.1 set up is inaccessible to the masses outside of (IMO) Sonos and the Elac.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Harman Kardon HK990. Doesn’t meet the availability requirement, but would like to mention it anyway.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Good point. I guess not, but perhaps still within reach. :)

See the green line here.

Reactions: mmi

withoutsuit

Another product, which could fit: Nubert AmpX.

Separate HP and LP for Sub and Main, in 1HZ (!) steps adjustable and EQ (well, not parametric). Analog In, USB In, HDMI in, Optical, Toslink, Phono, Bluetooth APTX.... And something like a "roomcorrection" (in fact its only some kind of very basic automatic EQ up to 200hz). Very nice build quality and if you own Nubert subs - it can give their signal wireless. Not to mention the superb remote control (metal). Onyl thing I'm missing is adjustable delay.

Yes I know, it was tested "badly" here, but don't take it too serious. Sounds very fine.

As I own it - If you have questions: just ask

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Also one thing the Sonos Amp has that a lot of gear is missing these days is a loudness setting. I really don’t know why it isn’t recommended more here, the review was weirdly negative when, from a performance + features to cost perspective, it is arguably the best value stereo amp out there.
Can you bypass it or is it always on?
Otherwise I appreciate you putting this thread together and sticking to your guns, you’ve proven simple, affordable bass management in a basic 2.1 set up is inaccessible to the masses outside of (IMO) Sonos and the Elac.
Thank you.

Top Bottom