• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereo AVR vs HiFi + DAC for 1.5k-2.5k

superduper

I am looking for a setup for both music and home-cinema, but I am more specific about the quality in the music side (as long as the movie part is fine).
The room is quite big (7m*4m with 3.5m high ceiling - or 25ft*15ft for our US friends), I will be seated ar. 3m (10 feet) from the speakers and I have neighbors above and below, which means I will likely listen to it as low / reasonable volume.
So the system would need to perform best at lower/mid volume with plenty of detail and image without needed to go to the higher volume to achieve decent results.

At least at first I will mostly use AmazonMusic UltraHD, Spotify (maybe if one day Platinum comes out) and a turntable for music (that hopefully I can connect via DLNA), the HC part will mostly be through NetFlix and some other digital support.

I am torned between using a stereo AV receiver (e.g. Yamaha RN-1000a or Technis SU-GX70) or a HiFi integrated amp with a separated DAC and/or Streamer in the 1k$-2.5k$ range for the total package.
For the ones who tried those stereo AV receivers (or similar), do you believe they can match similar priced HiFi integrated amp?

For the speakers, I am considering slim/nice looking floorstanders or bookshelves + 1 subwoofer, likely in the 1k-2.5k$ range as well

A third option could be activated speakers like the LS60 but I assume the quality would be better with separated items (?)

popej

I assume the quality would be better with separated items (?)
IMO sound quality of electronics would be better with a proper bass management and good room correction. And the cost efective solution would be AVR, even for 2.1. Stereo AV tend to be overpriced, separated componets can be more complicated to operate.

Top Bottom