• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integra DRX-8.4

Clutchplate

Awesome.. I don't use LCR internal amps at all..

You may want to experiment with them. I've been A/B ing them against my Pass Labs X250.8 and it's surprising how well they compare in imaging and resolution. Are they as good? No but that's the price point you'll need to get into if you want to hear a noticeable difference.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes you are right, thank you! I actually thought that -120 dB was high when I typed it, but I didn't double-check the model number.
ESS has a ton of model numbers, basically the only ESS DAC ICs that could achieve the near 120 dB SINAD mark are those what they called reference class, and they all have the 4 digit numbers ending in "8", that includes the old ES9008 (118 dB), through ES9038, though they now have two more, the ES9039.

The top ones are the ES9038Pro and ES9039Pro, both have max SINAD of 122 dB.

Not all ESS chips have SOTA specs, the ES9023, for example only managed 94 dB SINAD, still better than the PCM5102A D+M are using. Not that it matters, but I do hope D+M would go back to using chips with at least 100 dB SINAD, even if they can't get the AK4488 any more. As it is now, for those who are ocd on the DAC chips, would do better migrating to Onkyo/Integra/Pioneer, Anthem, Arcam etc. Again, "normal" people would do fine with the PCM5102A.:D

pollock0424

You may want to experiment with them. I've been A/B ing them against my Pass Labs X250.8 and it's surprising how well they compare in imaging and resolution. Are they as good? No but that's the price point you'll need to get into if you want to hear a noticeable difference.
I forgot that I use the center channel in it. What I don't use are surrounds and left right. I'm using 2 x Purifi 1ET7040SA Buckeye Amps for Left and Right and 2 X Yamaha M80s for the surrounds (2 pairs). My Left and Right are Thiel CS3.6 and they're a constant load of 3.3 ohms through the band except at resonant frequency where the impedance shoots to 8 ohms.

Clutchplate

I forgot that I use the center channel in it. What I don't use are surrounds and left right. I'm using 2 x Purifi 1ET7040SA Buckeye Amps for Left and Right and 2 X Yamaha M80s for the surrounds (2 pairs). My Left and Right are Thiel CS3.6 and they're a constant load of 3.3 ohms through the band except at resonant frequency where the impedance shoots to 8 ohms.

Makes sense.

pollock0424

Does anyone have an idea to get the digital out for Left and Right? I want to do an experiment where I will use miniDSP SHD for a crossover at 50hz and 2 subs. Using REW, take individual L and R measurements and do an L+R measurement.
Now, see if L+R is greater than L and R. Also inspect filtered impulse responses at various frequencies upto 50hz and note any phase differences.

Redo the same without miniDSP SHD but using DLBC and Integra setting the xover at 50hz. Hopefully, DLBC will have less phase differences when compared to the other case.

This way, I can verify DLBCs functionality.. if it turns out that DLBC isn't helping much for me.. I will just turn it off.

Clutchplate

Does anyone have an idea to get the digital out for Left and Right? I want to do an experiment where I will use miniDSP SHD for a crossover at 50hz and 2 subs. Using REW, take individual L and R measurements and do an L+R measurement.
Now, see if L+R is greater than L and R. Also inspect filtered impulse responses at various frequencies upto 50hz and note any phase differences.

Redo the same without miniDSP SHD but using DLBC and Integra setting the xover at 50hz. Hopefully, DLBC will have less phase differences when compared to the other case.

This way, I can verify DLBCs functionality.. if it turns out that DLBC isn't helping much for me.. I will just turn it off.

You can do what you describe with a DAW program like Reaper and a digital audio interface that has multiple digital outs. You'd need to split the signal before sending to any devices to keep everything in sync and it has quite a few measurement tools also including phase. I don't know how you'd do it only using the Integra.

pollock0424

You can do what you describe with a DAW program like Reaper and a digital audio interface that has multiple digital outs. You'd need to split the signal before sending to any devices to keep everything in sync and it has quite a few measurement tools also including phase. I don't know how you'd do it only using the Integra.
I will use my laptop to connect to integra and launch REW on my laptop and do the sweeps.

Clutchplate

Anyone know how to turn off the speaker outputs when using the pre-amp outputs? It appears you need to physically unplug the speakers for them not to play unless I'm missing something.

nick-v

Anyone know how to turn off the speaker outputs when using the pre-amp outputs? It appears you need to physically unplug the speakers for them not to play unless I'm missing something.
I haven't tried it yet, since I'm still using the internal amps to power everything.

Are you saying that when you turn the "front" amps off, that they're still powering the speakers?

Clutchplate

I haven't tried it yet, since I'm still using the internal amps to power everything.

Are you saying that when you turn the "front" amps off, that they're still powering the speakers?

Not able to find a way to turn the front amps off. Possible I'm blind so hoping someone's figured it out.

nick-v

Not able to find a way to turn the front amps off. Possible I'm blind so hoping someone's figured it out.
If you have the latest firmware installed, the setting is definitely available in the CI web configuration tool. I can't remember if it's available in the app or the physical GUI or not.

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
First, make sure you've updated the firmware to latest. Then, go into the ciuser web interface, scroll down to "Pre-Amp Mode" and set it to "Front". That should do it.

pollock0424

Is this old news where we got the preamp update? I haven't checked Dirac but what improvements so far? I'm not happy with DLBC so far.. I found that my hand tuned system sounds better to me..even after enforcing harman house curve with dirac.. DLBC bass sounds wrong, not lack of it but just wrong.. somehow mismatched with my main speakers.

ban25

Is this old news where we got the preamp update? I haven't checked Dirac but what improvements so far? I'm not happy with DLBC so far.. I found that my hand tuned system sounds better to me..even after enforcing harman house curve with dirac.. DLBC bass sounds wrong, not lack of it but just wrong.. somehow mismatched with my main speakers.
Yeah, it was actually two updates with the second issued on Dec 5. The Dirac change is minimal, it was actually in response to a bug I submitted that increased the maximum delay from 20ms to 50ms to support users with wireless subwoofers. That change was made back in September. Not that I recommend introducing that much latency into your system!

a.dent

I'm trying to select Auro-3D to play Netflix and Prime movies (both Atmos and 5.1) but all I can get is Auro Surround.

Am I doing something wrong or is Auro-3D only available with Auro encoded sources?

ban25

I'm trying to select Auro-3D to play Netflix and Prime movies (both Atmos and 5.1) but all I can get is Auro Surround.

Am I doing something wrong or is Auro-3D only available with Auro encoded sources?
Do you have height channels? You will get Auro Surround if you have a 5.1 or 7.1 setup. To get Auro 3D, you will need at least two height channels.

Top Bottom