• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What does “musical” mean? Audiogon takes a stab

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Aparently so. Haricot beans.

It would appear that the song could be seen as slightly inaccurate and should be :

"Beans, beans the musical legume."

Chr1

Forum Donor
Most likely need to incorporate the word "consume" instead of "toot" then however...

Doesn't have the same ring to it.
Or dubious humour.
Ring.
(Ahem.)

DonR

Major Contributor
Aparently so. Haricot beans.

It would appear that the song could be seen as slightly inaccurate and should be :

"Beans, beans the musical legume."
And thus we come back to the true purpose of this thread, discovering musical edibles in the form of fruits and vegetables. Beans and sprouts seem to be the most musical according to this thread.

Chr1

Forum Donor
Indeed. Tho I would definitely suggest that we add both chilli and curries too. Generally, with the heat of said foodstuffs being directly proportional to their inherent musicality.

However, as these are not single ingredients, perhaps we need a seperate thread/category/classification.

Last edited:

DonR

Major Contributor
Indeed. Tho I would definitely suggest that we add both chilli and curries too. Generally, with the heat of said foodstuffs being directly proportional to their inherent musicality.

However, as these are not single ingredients, perhaps we need a seperate thread/category/classification.
I think we are working towards a symphony.

Chr1

Forum Donor
SOTA Concert halls with quality air filtration systems may become the norm...

At the other end of the scale, simple Covid style facemasks may be the order of the day again unfortunately...

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve experienced it first hand with the BACCH SP. The demo done by recording through the in ear microphones and directly comparing that recording to the live source tells me it not only “cuts it” but it is an end game system. Not sure how it can get much better than the original acoustic source and the playback being virtually indistinguishable. Wasn’t that supposed to be the goal of “Hifi”?
So you with this gear experienced a concert being recorded and the 2ch playback gear was indistinguishable from the live audition? Got more details?

OP
ahofer

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
1703710340479.gif

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So you with this gear experienced a concert being recorded and the 2ch playback gear was indistinguishable from the live audition? Got more details?
I think a hearing test is in order. It is possible for the hearing impaired, even slightly. More details, like his age. Not to say that there are not any very accurate recordings, there are, but speakers versus the venue at the venue, doubtful.

Justdafactsmaam

No, that isn’t what I said. The tests I did were with sound sources in the room. Mostly human voice.

I did say that I strongly suspect that same accuracy would extend to a concert hall if we recorded in a concert hall using the in ear microphones but direct comparisons would be impractical because you are in a concert hall when recording.

I do have several commercial recordings in concert halls that were made with binaural dummy heads that through my system sound remarkably like being transported to a concert hall. I can’t comment on the absolute accuracy of those recordings since I can’t directly compare them to the original sound. But the realism is quite convincing.

Also worth noting that a binaural dummy head will not give a listener the same accuracy as their own ears with the BACCH microphones. The overall accuracy of any stereo playback involves both the recording as well as the playback system.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, that isn’t what I said. The tests I did were with sound sources in the room. Mostly human voice.

I did say that I strongly suspect that same accuracy would extend to a concert hall if we recorded in a concert hall using the in ear microphones but direct comparisons would be impractical because you are in a concert hall when recording.

I do have several commercial recordings in concert halls that were made with binaural dummy heads that through my system sound remarkably like being transported to a concert hall. I can’t comment on the absolute accuracy of those recordings since I can’t directly compare them to the original sound. But the realism is quite convincing.

Also worth noting that a binaural dummy head will not give a listener the same accuracy as their own ears with the BACCH microphones. The overall accuracy of any stereo playback involves both the recording as well as the playback system.
Thanks. That's more believable in that context. Many here are focused on playback devices when in reality greatest gains in accuracy, realism and detail are in the recording process. In doesn't seem to be a priority in discussion that often.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One of the writers in the Audiogon nailed it:

”I have always felt this term to be equivalent to "emotionally engaging" and standing in contrast to analytical or accurate.
Do you all agree that is a mutually exclusive thing? Because I vehemently dispute accuracy stands in the way of musicality or causes "fatigue". Unnecessary sharpness and distortion in the highs and bathtubs like frequency response does. Accuracy is musical, in my opinion. Unless you want to tell the recording artist their instrument or voice sounds like crap.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Okay, it might be good for that in room voice thing. Speakers or headphones?

Chr1

Forum Donor
I think we are focused on playback as we can't influence or change the recording process.

If your source material is well recorded and mastered, you probably have no need for anything other than transparent equipment imho.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If your source material is well recorded and mastered, you probably have no need for anything other than transparent equipment imho.
Yes, but before measurement and DSP all you had for influence was your ears and purchasing decision for control. I would argue that your ears can detect very good recording over a high performing DAC. If is the little word with a big meaning.

Justdafactsmaam

Do you all agree that is a mutually exclusive thing? Because I vehemently dispute accuracy stands in the way of musicality or causes "fatigue". Unnecessary sharpness and distortion in the highs and bathtubs like frequency response does. Accuracy is musical, in my opinion. Unless you want to tell the recording artist their instrument or voice sounds like crap.
I believe the overlap between perceptual subjective excellence and objective accuracy in audio recording and playback is quite substantial. I don’t however believe the overlap is 100% and universal to all listeners.

Chr1

Forum Donor
Does Snoopy still get called Snoopy however?

(What's the world coming to?...We'll be calling him a cat next.)

Top Bottom