• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integra DRX-8.4

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I set my volume level to -52 just to check and I could *barely* hear anything, which tracks because if reference is 85 dB, then 33 dB is pretty much right at the noise floor of my house.

soundsburysteak

So the problem is, at -52 dB, you're listening at whisper quiet volume level. For normal listening, in a large room, I listen at -18 dB. If it's movies, I'll set it to -8 dB or so. Don't focus on the number on the screen, invest in an SPL meter and figure out exactly what level you are hearing at your seating position.
I'm not articulating very well today. There's two related items I'm trying to convey. The first is that I was wondering if it was strange to have the db range aligned with the volume range as it appears my unit is. It's almost as if they too the typical ends of the db spectrum and placed them at 1/3 and 2/3 on the volume range. For example what would normally be volume 10 is located at ~30 and 90 is located at ~70. With this alignment the 1-~25 range is basically pointless as 0 sound is produced. The higher end isn't as big a deal as everyone has their limit anyways. It seems the Onkyo maybe has a finer grain volume control. The Integra steps volume in .5 dB increments where as the Onkyo might be doing it in .2 dB increments which gives a smoother scale as the volume goes up and down.

The second item is related in that I don't seem to hear the same level of clarity remain as the volume is reduce into the lower levels as with the Onkyo. With the Onkyo, the details remained up till the last few notches where as the Integra seems to degrade more quickly as the volume is reduced. This is entirely subjective and might just be in my head. Just thought it was interesting.

Thanks for taking some time to hear me out ban25. Regardless of these minor complaints, I'm quite happy with the new Integra overall. Very high quality and completely crushes the old Onkyo in terms of features and capability.

ban25

I'm not articulating very well today. There's two related items I'm trying to convey. The first is that I was wondering if it was strange to have the db range aligned with the volume range as it appears my unit is. It's almost as if they too the typical ends of the db spectrum and placed them at 1/3 and 2/3 on the volume range. For example what would normally be volume 10 is located at ~30 and 90 is located at ~70. With this alignment the 1-~25 range is basically pointless as 0 sound is produced. The higher end isn't as big a deal as everyone has their limit anyways. It seems the Onkyo maybe has a finer grain volume control. The Integra steps volume in .5 dB increments where as the Onkyo might be doing it in .2 dB increments which gives a smoother scale as the volume goes up and down.

The second item is related in that I don't seem to hear the same level of clarity remain as the volume is reduce into the lower levels as with the Onkyo. With the Onkyo, the details remained up till the last few notches where as the Integra seems to degrade more quickly as the volume is reduced. This is entirely subjective and might just be in my head. Just thought it was interesting.

Thanks for taking some time to hear me out ban25. Regardless of these minor complaints, I'm quite happy with the new Integra overall. Very high quality and completely crushes the old Onkyo in terms of features and capability.
Ok gotcha, that makes sense. Something that might be useful is that you can set default levels per input, as well as limits:

Screenshot 2023-05-27 at 11.52.51 AM.png

Snuffy

ban25, I'm strongly considering buying the Integra DRX 8.4. Do you think it's worth $3200? I currently have a Yamaha RX-V6A that seems a little weak for driving my Arendal 1723's, CSS Criton 1TDX and 2TDX. I was going to get a Marantz 8805 and Monoprice 7X, but this would save me a lot of money, and I could still get an amp later if I wanted. XLR's are desirable because my sub is on the back wall, with a 35' cable. I'm interested in what you think of the sound quality for music.

ban25

ban25, I'm strongly considering buying the Integra DRX 8.4. Do you think it's worth $3200? I currently have a Yamaha RX-V6A that seems a little weak for driving my Arendal 1723's, CSS Criton 1TDX and 2TDX. I was going to get a Marantz 8805 and Monoprice 7X, but this would save me a lot of money, and I could still get an amp later if I wanted. XLR's are desirable because my sub is on the back wall, with a 35' cable. I'm interested in what you think of the sound quality for music.
I'm very pleased with my unit. I'm using mine for home theater, Dolby Atmos music over Tidal, and vinyl on a Technics SL-1200 via the phono pre-amp. Very pleased with Dirac Live and excited to get Roon support later this month. The web UI is very thorough. The XLR sub outs are indeed good for long runs such as your use-case. Easily worth $3200 in my book as this is the only product on the market with all of these features (HDMI 2.1, Dirac Live / DLBC, XLR in/out, Roon Ready, etc.).

Ssmokeyy

Snuffy , I also own the 8.4 and its worth every penny. I have been hard on it for the caps not being the top dollar shit u find in anthem or higher brands. But after using it and just closing my eyes and enjoying it I love it. It does things my denon never did. Right now I'm using just the internal amps and the front center is running at 4 ohms doesn't even get hot. Shocked me when I seen that. I do have a anthem mca50 I will be using once I find the new main rail caps for it. I do not miss the 4 independent sub outs. I think if u know what your doing with tuning u can still have 4 and be fine. Only thing I wish it had was the hdbas-t still. Maybe they will bring it back.

mattsrs

Snuffy , I also own the 8.4 and its worth every penny. I have been hard on it for the caps not being the top dollar shit u find in anthem or higher brands. But after using it and just closing my eyes and enjoying it I love it. It does things my denon never did. Right now I'm using just the internal amps and the front center is running at 4 ohms doesn't even get hot. Shocked me when I seen that. I do have a anthem mca50 I will be using once I find the new main rail caps for it. I do not miss the 4 independent sub outs. I think if u know what your doing with tuning u can still have 4 and be fine. Only thing I wish it had was the hdbas-t still. Maybe they will bring it back.

what are the things that 8.4 does and your Denon never did?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
what are the things that 8.4 does and your Denon never did?

Not a good example, on the parts side, I can think of one example that shows they did something more right and Denon did. That is, Onkyo/Integra/Pioneer apparently made a better choice when replacing their previously used AK4458 IC with the ES9026Pro (at least for the main channels as far as I know), while Denon and Marantz choose the PCM5102A, that is discontinued, so not even as good as the recently reviewed $41 desktop DAC that uses the PCM5122 that has the same specs as the aging PCM5102A.

Last edited:

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Not a good example, on the parts side, I can think of one example that shows they did something more right and Denon did. That is, Onkyo/Integra/Pioneer apparently made a better choice when replacing their previously used AK4458 IC with the ES9026Pro (at least for the main channels as far as I know), while Denon and Marantz choose the PCM5102A, that is discontinued, so not even as good as the recently reviewed $41 desktop DAC that uses the PCM5122 that has the same specs as the aging PCM5102A.

I would also mention the high current power supply, allowing the amps to drive difficult loads and multiple channels with ease - it is the classic Onkyo "Big AVR" style design and provides the resulting "Onkyo sound" - to get something similar from Denon/Marantz you have to go to the A1h... and substantially more money.

Basically high value / reasonably priced Amp Muscle

Ssmokeyy

Biggest thing for me was when I switched to drx 8.4 from the dennon was the sound fullness. With the denon it was bright in face with out any bass or mid range. Tried changing every setting I could find and it never sounded the way I heard my speakers in the show room before I picked them up. I hooked up the drx 8.4 only setting I have set is crossover to 50hz on all front. Also bass is set to 80 hz to the martin logen subs. I turned the subs off and just front stage on every thing I paid for is there. Also every denon/marantz I have used the software is a slow damn slow . Drx 8.4 moves super fast. Also I have a thing with ess dacs so that makes me happy Also. If I was to replace this unit it's going to be 1 of two models. Integra's next higher line or anthem avm70/90. Anthem builds amazing gear Also.

ban25

There are two ES9026Pro DACs for 16 channels, so I assume it covers everything in the primary zone at least.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Biggest thing for me was when I switched to drx 8.4 from the dennon was the sound fullness. With the denon it was bright in face with out any bass or mid range. Tried changing every setting I could find and it never sounded the way I heard my speakers in the show room before I picked them up. I hooked up the drx 8.4 only setting I have set is crossover to 50hz on all front. Also bass is set to 80 hz to the martin logen subs. I turned the subs off and just front stage on every thing I paid for is there. Also every denon/marantz I have used the software is a slow damn slow . Drx 8.4 moves super fast. Also I have a thing with ess dacs so that makes me happy Also. If I was to replace this unit it's going to be 1 of two models. Integra's next higher line or anthem avm70/90. Anthem builds amazing gear Also.
Do you have any idea what the impedance/phase / frequency graph for your speakers looks like?

My off the cuff guess, is that somewhere in the mid bass, the woofer crossover is dropping impedance down below 3 ohm - and the Denon/Marantzes couldn't provide the current required for that - so the bass ended up sounding too light - it wasn't exactly clipping - but it wasn't able to feed the speakers properly....

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I do not have that info.
What model of Denon AVR are you comparing with the DRX8.4, that seems to be a flagship model. Denon's flagship class models are the X8500H, A110 and the A1H.

No measurement data for the A1H yet, the A110 seems good:
198 W, 4 ohms, 5 channel driven and 148 W 7 channel driven (likely @1% THD), indicates power supply that is at least comparable to the DRX8.4's.

Denon-AVC-110-Fazit.jpg

dlaloum

Major Contributor
What model of Denon AVR are you comparing with the DRX8.4, that seems to be a flagship model. Denon's flagship class models are the X8500H, A110 and the A1H.

No measurement data for the A1H yet, the A110 seems good:
198 W, 4 ohms, 5 channel driven and 148 W 7 channel driven (likely @1% THD), indicates power supply that is at least comparable to the DRX8.4's.

Denon-AVC-110-Fazit.jpg
I feel like the D&M equivalent to the RZ70/8.4 family is the X6700 of the previous generation, the next generation X6800 will probably be released soon to counter the mid-market threat from Onkyo.

Meanwhile D&M have the upper market area covered with the A1H/AV10/A110/X8500.... and we are all still waiting for Onkyo to respond with its long awaited RZ90/DRX-R1.4.

I wonder whether Onkyo have decided to hold off on the true flagships until they can release them with DL-ART?

ban25

I feel like the D&M equivalent to the RZ70/8.4 family is the X6700 of the previous generation, the next generation X6800 will probably be released soon to counter the mid-market threat from Onkyo.

Meanwhile D&M have the upper market area covered with the A1H/AV10/A110/X8500.... and we are all still waiting for Onkyo to respond with its long awaited RZ90/DRX-R1.4.

I wonder whether Onkyo have decided to hold off on the true flagships until they can release them with DL-ART?
Agreed. It's more of an X6800H equivalent in my book.

Ssmokeyy

Why would any one spend more than 4k on denon or marantz? Even at 4k its hard to say its a good idea. Mrx 1140/ avm 70 just kills denon marantz. 8k avm 90 is light years better u also have arcam, jbl, audio control, nad and many more better options. All home theater. Installers in my city won't even sell that brand past $2000 range. They push anthem.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Why would any one spend more than 4k on denon or marantz? Even at 4k its hard to say its a good idea. Mrx 1140/ avm 70 just kills denon marantz. 8k avm 90 is light years better u also have arcam, jbl, audio control, nad and many more better options. All home theater. Installers in my city won't even sell that brand past $2000 range. They push anthem.
Denon has a long tradition of having its top end AVR be competitive with the best - in price, performance, and Features. Marantz too has a history of competing at the top end - in various generations, and especially during the Phillips ownership, Marantz went more "mainstream".

Still the AV1h and AV10 appear to be more than competitive with the Storm, JBL, Arcam and Anthem....

The Onkyo flagship would be expected to be at the same performance level, and based on previous generations, a step down in price... ie: a value leader

But whether previous practices are continued is yet to be seen, given Onkyo is under new management.... it may follow Denon's lead upmarket, and price its flagship offerings to match the opponents rather than beat them... I hope not - but they have yet to release those models so, we shall see...

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed. It's more of an X6800H equivalent in my book.

Agreed, in that sense the Onkyo/Integra semi flagship beats D+M, I would say it even beats the Mararantz SR8015, and for less $. The only thing we don't know is on the reliability side. We won't know that for at least a few more years. Again, in terms of $/feature and specs, the DRX-8.4 seems unbeatable at the moment.

valerianf

Again, in terms of $/feature and specs, the DRX-8.4 seems unbeatable at the moment.
But prices of all AVR's are so high now compared to 2019 that I doubt of any good offer on one of them.
2019 $2,399 MSRP DRX-7.3

Top Bottom