• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

iD4 & iD14 MK II - Audient updated their Audio Interfaces

Money4Nothing

Could you @JohnYang1997 measure this device again? Just got information from Audient that phase issue is fixed on latest firmware. Would be great to see is it true by measuring this again..

(I also informed l7audiolab.com and asked if they can retest..)

Last edited:

Julian Krause

Reviewer
I was curious about this so I made a quick test with the latest firmware version. App version is 4.2.1 and firmware of the iD14 MKII is 1.0.7.
This is how the inter-channel phase looks now.

id14mkiiphase.png

There is still a shift in the higher frequencies but the 180 degree phase shift at lower frequencies is gone. That said, I haven't observed the 180 degree shift with my unit yet, even before updating the firmware.

Tangband

Major Contributor
I was curious about this so I made a quick test with the latest firmware version. App version is 4.2.1 and firmware of the iD14 MKII is 1.0.7.
This is how the inter-channel phase looks now.

View attachment 155556

There is still a shift in the higher frequencies but the 180 degree phase shift at lower frequencies is gone. That said, I haven't observed the 180 degree shift with my unit yet, even before updating the firmware.
Thanks! At what sampling frequence is this measurement done ? At 96 kHz? What happens when you record with 48 kHz sampling freq? Is the phase shift bigger then ?
Iˋm enjoying your youtube channel by the way.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
That looks an awful lot like a fixed time delay there - well, one that scales with fs so probably ADC filter-related. A plot over a linear frequency axis should reveal straight lines. (See properties of Fourier transforms - time delay.) If so, Audient are apparently not using one of the "short delay" filter options provided by the AK5574.

I would try to either calibrate that out or have group delay plotted instead of / in addition to phase. ADC latency is good to know but not really what you wanted in this case.

Last edited:

Money4Nothing

Fyi, Audient noticed this and continues working with issue. New fix coming, currently in test and validation phase. I hope that you gurus remeasure this again after next firmware released.

OHtaru

Audient released the latest firmware:)
Change log:

V1.0.8

Changes:

• Fixed analogue input phase alignment
  • Fixed noise on analogue inputs on initial startup

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's great to hear :)
I repeated the test, green is a sample rate of 96 kHz and red is 48 kHz. All other things are the same as before.
View attachment 155569
I recommended your UMIK-1 + REW + Equalizer APO video to a million people by now! Great channel.
I suggest an advanced video with MMM, FIR filters and time alignment if possible.

Julian Krause

Reviewer
I recommended your UMIK-1 + REW + Equalizer APO video to a million people by now! Great channel.
I suggest an advanced video with MMM, FIR filters and time alignment if possible.
Thanks for sharing my videos!!
I'm looking into that topic but I need to do more research before I can make a useful tutorial.
Of course when looking into this you will inevitably be confronted with the question whether phase correction even brings an audible improvement.
Many things can already be taken care of with simple IIR filters, especially at low frequencies.

jdoe

Does anyone knows how to resolve id14mkii firmware update issue (see attachments)?

Update: issue resolved by changing cable and using front-panel USB port. For some reason back-panel USB type-c connection was not enough for the update utility.

Attachments

• Audient_id14mkii_update_isssue.png
    Audient_id14mkii_update_isssue.png
    382 KB · Views: 236
  • Audient_id14mkii_update_isssue2.png
    Audient_id14mkii_update_isssue2.png
    299 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:

kdejaeger

Picked one up today. Was a bit scared how it would look, but now it's here, I'm happy with it and that I didn't go with minifuse or motu because of the 2 great headphone outs on this one. Honestly, every single negative review I've read, is things that can be solved. From windows 10 sounds settings, to disable passive charging on your usb-c port so it actually turns off when shutting down your laptop. And those complaining it doesn't remember the volume. Well, it's a rotary double function volume knob, safe to start up quiet not blowing your ears up. And I'm already using the loopback function, running it through toneboosters morphit as an app.

wanghao

B450 tomahawk max(windows10) → usb3.0 type c-c → ID4MKII

I'm using the above, and when I play desktop audio at 96khz, a blaring noise appears after a few minutes. This happens with firmware 1.0.4 or later, does anyone else have the same problem?
I have rolled back to firmware 1.0.0 and am using it.
If anyone has experienced the same noise, please report it to AUDIENT.

I'm starting to find the same cases on amazon review, gearspace and twitter.

SchwarzeWolke

Forum Donor
I'm really struggling between Motu M4 and Audient ID4 MKII. I know, the ID14 would be the better couterpart to the Motu M4 or the M2 to the ID4 but I really want to have the possibility to mix the signal from the monitor or DAW.
Featurewise, the ID4 ist enough for me. I even like the mute button and that the XLR input is on the back. The M4 seems to be superior specwise and also the driver seems to be better.
So either @Julian Krause reviews the M4 or @amirm reviews the ID4 MKII. :facepalm:
There is also the SSL2...
The one big problem is the availability of the M4. Would have bought it but right now you can only get the ID4 MKII....

Bamboszek

Just choose whatever fits your needs in terms of connectivity and functions. At this level of performance difference is marginal and I'm pretty sure they would sound exactly the same.

Feargal

I'm kind-of in the same boat and also with the Universal Audio Volt on the scene. I have AKG371 headphones which are around 35 Ohms so this tends to suggest the Motu with its much lower headphone output impedance would be the best choice for me.

Top Bottom