• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

iD4 & iD14 MK II - Audient updated their Audio Interfaces

Dreyfus

Hello everbody,

Audient has just release an update to their audio interface lineup:
iD4-iD14-MKII-Float-Smaller.png

Product Pages:
Audient iD4 MK II
Audient iD14 MK II

I just gathered all the data and compared Gen 1 and 2 side by side:

Audient_MKII.png

(Note: errors excepted due to updating product pages.)

The THD, Noise and especially power capabilites appear to have improved quite a bit.

Regards
Dreyfus

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wonder what gain levels they have on the mic pre's now?

OP
Dreyfus

Dreyfus

Thread Starter #3
Sorry, I forgot to add that to the table.

iD4 MK I: 58 dB
iD4 MK II: 58 dB
iD14 MK I: 56 dB
iD14 MK II: 58 dB

Not much of a difference, though. Only +2 dB for the iD14. 58 dB appears to be the standard gain for this series now. Plus 10 dB digital gain in the software.

Regards
Dreyfus

Feelas

Since I'm still on lookout for something w/ 2 combo XLR-s and a decent minijack hp out, I wonder whether ID4/ID14 do a better job, or an EVO4.

OP
Dreyfus

Dreyfus

Thread Starter #6
Since I'm still on lookout for something w/ 2 combo XLR-s and a decent minijack hp out, I wonder whether ID4/ID14 do a better job, or an EVO4.
The iD4 and iD14 have a much better build quality and are now also technically superior to the EVO4 in pretty much every aspect.

Is it still 3 dB per volume strep? Main reason I got a Motu M2 instead.
Good question!

I would also be intersted if they have improved anything on the gain knobs. I had three different iD14s in my hands so far and all of them had very erratic gain curves past 60% on the pots. Not very convient for channal matching and fine adjustments for low sensitivity mics.

Other than that I was pretty happy with those devices in the past.

Blumlein 88

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The ID4 and I think ID14 in previous models used 10 db of digital gain on the preamps. I wonder if that is still the case or if it is all analog gain now? Anyone happen to know. Maybe the owners manual will tell.

Matias

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a significant upgrade in DAC THD+N output and headphone power, making it more competitive. Nice move from Audient.

AnalogSteph

Addicted to Fun and Learning
These figures suggest moving from about +/-8 V to +/-15 V supplies... pretty bold for bus-powered interfaces. Wouldn't be possible without Type C, I guess. Still makes me wonder what headphone out distortion performance would be like.

Any guesses as to converters? DAC wise I suspect either something ESS or a CS43198, the amount of DACs that are good for a real-life 125.5 dB(A) is somewhat limited.

dfuller

These figures suggest moving from about +/-8 V to +/-15 V supplies... pretty bold for bus-powered interfaces. Wouldn't be possible without Type C, I guess. Still makes me wonder what headphone out distortion performance would be like.

Any guesses as to converters? DAC wise I suspect either something ESS or a CS43198, the amount of DACs that are good for a real-life 125.5 dB(A) is somewhat limited.
Last I checked they were using Cirrus DACs on the iD44 so likely that again. AKM A/D as I recall.

Top Bottom