• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

iD4 & iD14 MK II - Audient updated their Audio Interfaces

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
That's strange. How exactly are you observing this, what is your chain and measurement means?
Nothing like this on my ID4MKII.
I use Audio Precision APx555B with PC. And it changes with sample rate. You may try to reproduce it using Scope function on REW, or anything else that allows you to observe wave form.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
interchannelPhase.png
Phase 96k.png

dfuller

Major Contributor
If it changes with sample rate I wonder if that could be remedied with a firmware update? Either way, seems reasonable to contact Audient about this.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Definitely a bug.

dylanmitchell

Thoughts on the MK-II Audients now that they've been out for a while? Noticeably cleaner or quieter? Looking at the iD14 MK-II with two XLR inputs. Besides having a second input, will it be an improvement over my iD4 MK-I? I like having a physical knob for monitor mix vs a software console, and I'll be keeping it for when I don't need the second channel. Bummer is you have to step up to iD22 for bypassable the mic pres so you can run a channel strip. Software consoles can do the same thing but I like my knobs!

marblesoda

Hello. I had my mind set on an Audient iD4 until I watched Julian Krause's video on interface headphone amps. It's excellent across the board except for the high impendance output of 22ohm. I have a pair of Sony MDR-7509HD (24ohm) and Grado SR80e (32ohm) cans. Should I steering clear of it and look for something else, particularly if I mix with the Sony's? I'm not well versed on this particular subject. Thank you.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello. I had my mind set on an Audient iD4 until I watched Julian Krause's video on interface headphone amps. It's excellent across the board except for the high impendance output of 22ohm. I have a pair of Sony MDR-7509HD (24ohm) and Grado SR80e (32ohm) cans. Should I steering clear of it and look for something else, particularly if I mix with the Sony's? I'm not well versed on this particular subject. Thank you.
Welcome to ASR. What is your use case and budget?

dylanmitchell

iD4 MKII has better output but may not be enough for the 24 and 32 ohm, I have the iD4 MK1 and went with the 80 ohm DT 770 for that reason. My 45 ohm ER4SR's work fine but I'd be hesitant to use anything below that.

PeterHans

Very interesting, use the subtitles for English

Now since Motu M2 is available in 5-7 weeks, i want to ask if ID4 or ID14 is good or better than Motu M2 ?
What about the video ? Any preference in tone and volume of different frequencies ? The M2 has more bass and less highs, the audient more highs and less bass. Motu is dark/night, Audient is day/light.

The ID4 has 1 input and is almost twice as cheeper as ID14. Actually i think the ID14 is a little bit too expensive compared to their single ID4.

Would like to know the same, which balanced out would be the better one, MOTU M2 or the ID14 MKII? Which headphone out measures better?

marblesoda

Welcome to ASR. What is your use case and budget?
Thanks for the welcome; I've heard a lot of positives about the site. My budget is $200 (I could stretch it a bit if it's justifiable). It's for my home studio setup: I often play my guitar through amp sims, and mix on my headphones through the MDR-7506HD. When not recording/producing, I use my interface to simply listen to music through my Grados.

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My friend just got this interface and a condenser mic yesterday against my advice, despite gaming in an untreated room with IEMs. Is there any contraption that can be added between the interface and the low impedance IEMs to improve the damping factor?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
My friend just got this interface and a condenser mic yesterday against my advice, despite gaming in an untreated room with IEMs. Is there any contraption that can be added between the interface and the low impedance IEMs to improve the damping factor?
Why yes - a little headphone amplifier, with cabling as needed. (Schiit IEModi, Topping L30 and Atom Amp+ are 3 mains-powered $100 class options that should get the job done more than fine, and in fact provide enough flexibility to drive most anything out there.) That's pretty much my standard rec for any interface sporting a headphone output with deficiencies such as high output impedance, load driving issues, somewhat limited output voltage or high noise floor.

Now if your friend is too cheap for that but not averse to a soldering iron, output impedance could be brought into the low single-digit ohms fairly easily with an inline IEM attenuator (stereo L-pad). You can buy them ready-built but longevity seems to be a common complaint, and you may not like the resistor values chosen. Since the iD4 MkII appears to be a decent load driver, I might start out with maybe 100 ohms and 2.2 ohms and see where this gets you in terms of available output volume. If that's still plenty which I suspect, go down to 1 ohm. The 100 ohms should be at least 1/4 W metal film.

The mic situation should become at least tolerable if placement is flexible enough to permit a short pickup distance (but angled and perhaps with a mic screen so as to avoid plosives). I generally prefer them hanging upside down to reduce dust buildup but the mic body may prove to be in the way like that.

Last edited:

tomaszffffff

I'm wondering whether iD4 mkII will be a good choice for driving my Shure SRH840. I need an audio interface but I really care about the headphone output. I'm aware of the problem with the Audient's output impedance of 23 Ohm and Shure's impedance of 44 Ohm, but maybe something like ifi EarBuddy or IEMatch would be a good solution? Or maybe I should look elsewhere, but sadly I couldn't find anything comparable when it comes to headphone output that fits into my budget, as Audient already stretches it.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I'm wondering whether iD4 mkII will be a good choice for driving my Shure SRH840. I need an audio interface but I really care about the headphone output. I'm aware of the problem with the Audient's output impedance of 23 Ohm and Shure's impedance of 44 Ohm, but maybe something like ifi EarBuddy or IEMatch would be a good solution? Or maybe I should look elsewhere, but sadly I couldn't find anything comparable when it comes to headphone output that fits into my budget, as Audient already stretches it.
At 23 ohms, FR deviation with the SRH840 (approx. 40 ohms min, 57 ohm max) should make it to just under 1 dB, which would still be audible in a direct comparison but by no means dramatic, so you'd be well in the yellow at least. And as you say, it's hard to find anything else as good for driving lowish-impedance cans... the MOTU M2 is even more expensive and hard to get. I'd say the iD4 is worth a shot.

dylanmitchell

Does Audient id mixer software let you add gain on iD4mkii? I want to add 3-4 dB for live streaming? My mki iD4 isn't compatible with id mixer software.

Can you run a pre-Sonus studio channel or db286 to the iD4 di input? Or do you need bypassable preamps as ID22 has?

I would get an iD14, but I prefer a knob for the monitor mix. And audient has said they can't fit the bypassable premiums in the iD14. The iD22t has bypassable pre amps, an mkii version that solves the design defect would be nice but is getting close to cost if mix pre 3 or rme babyface

Top Bottom