• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

iD4 & iD14 MK II - Audient updated their Audio Interfaces

SchwarzeWolke

Forum Donor
Got my hands on the M4 here in Germany for reasonable 269€. Let's hope that they really ship it and that there was no error on the website regarding the availability.
If you struggle with the impedance, just use a ifi IEMatch or Earbuddy. You can also make an adapter for yourself. Just search for an impedance adapter from Solderdude.

Feargal

The strong US dollar against EUR or GBP probably isn't helping Motu much either at the moment. Audient prices seem more reasonable.

wanghao

Which BIOS (/AGESA) version are you running? The last final for this board (7C02v3B) notes "Improved USB device compatibility", perhaps even the latest 7C02v3C3 beta will be worth a try. This would be my first step any time I'm seeing USB audio issues on a Ryzen system.
It is a bios that fixes USB2.0. The one I am using is USB 3.0 type-c. It was already a 7C02v3B ver bios ...

Stephan

Quick question about the outputs of the iD4 mkii. While the manual of the iD14 specifies that outputs are impedance balanced, there's no info about it for the iD4... are the outputs of the iD4 impedance balanced, transformer balanced or active balanced (doubt this one)?

Reason, I want to connect the output to a Topping L30 headphone amp and I'm scratching my head whether to go with a TS to RCA cable (shorting cold to ground) or a TRS to RCA and leaving the ring floating. Some manufacturers (hello MOTU) specifically say that when outputs are not cross coupled shorting to ground will cause distortion.

Would appreciate any info on this.

LoyK

Quick question about the outputs of the iD4 mkii. While the manual of the iD14 specifies that outputs are impedance balanced, there's no info about it for the iD4... are the outputs of the iD4 impedance balanced, transformer balanced or active balanced (doubt this one)?
I would guess that the output of iD4 is aswell. Don´t think they would change this between such similar devices. But you could ask their support: https://support.audient.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Just got my iD14 MKII a few days ago. Sounding good, headphone out is decent for such an interface. I was not sure between iD14 and Motu M4 but iD14 is about 70€ cheaper in Germany and also in stock...so this made the decision easy in the end.

bud947

I would guess that the output of iD4 is aswell. Don´t think they would change this between such similar devices. But you could ask their support: https://support.audient.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Just got my iD14 MKII a few days ago. Sounding good, headphone out is decent for such an interface. I was not sure between iD14 and Motu M4 but iD14 is about 70€ cheaper in Germany and also in stock...so this made the decision easy in the end.
Both are fine choices. Just make sure you're using ASIO drivers or set windows audio properly.

LoyK

Reason, I want to connect the output to a Topping L30 headphone amp and I'm scratching my head whether to go with a TS to RCA cable (shorting cold to ground) or a TRS to RCA and leaving the ring floating. Some manufacturers (hello MOTU) specifically say that when outputs are not cross coupled shorting to ground will cause distortion.

Would appreciate any info on this.
I tried my adapters 6.5mm mono to RCA and then normal RCA to my Schiit Magni Heresy and I think it works/sounds fine.

@bud947: Sure, ASIO all the way for me as I sometimes like to input my guitar and jam out.

Stephan

I'd think so yes, but no one was able to confirm this yet. I've already contacted the support and am waiting for an answer. I've also called Thomann and they didn't know. The guy on the phone was basically looking at the manual and spec sheet, which I've done before of course.
Congrats. Pretty much my thoughts for the iD4 vs the MOTU M2. iD14 is no option for me, as I'm using Windows/macOS/Linux and for the latter it won't work. M4 is an option (for Linux), but too expensive for what I do (basically audio/video conferences, playing games online every now and then with friends and doing some voice-overs for videos). iD4 mkii is €80 cheaper than M2. They're all in stock at Thomann right now, but MOTU is much more expensive.

If one day I decide I need something more, then I'll probably look at something like RME or a MOTU 624, but I can't see that happening anytime soon.

I tried my adapters 6.5mm mono to RCA and then normal RCA to my Schiit Magni Heresy and I think it works/sounds fine.
Thank you, I'll grab some adapters or TS->RCA cables next week and give it a shot. :)

SchwarzeWolke

Forum Donor
Alright... Seems that the Motu M4 is not "plug and play" for Win10 or I'm too dumb...
Is the Audient ID4MKII usable without any installation of drivers? Want to use an USB-Interface with my company laptop and I can't install anything. Behringer seems to work but I really want something with better sound quality.

Stephan

Alright... Seems that the Motu M4 is not "plug and play" for Win10 or I'm too dumb...
Is the Audient ID4MKII usable without any installation of drivers? Want to use an USB-Interface with my company laptop and I can't install anything. Behringer seems to work but I really want something with better sound quality.
These devices are class compliant (except for the iD14), so they work in macOS and Linux without driver, however, Audient state on their website in the FAQ that running the iD4 requires driver installation in Windows. At least that's true for the mki, they don't have the info available for the mkii, but I would assume it's true as well. Your best bet would be to ask Audient directly (or wait a while for me to uninstall Windows drivers and test, not sure if I can get around doing it in the upcoming week though).

SchwarzeWolke

Forum Donor
The M4 needs to have drivers from Motu to run on Windows, same as my M2.
Yes, figured that out. Tried to work with generic drivers but did not work. Seems to be the case for nearly all USB interfaces which are not that old. Behringer interfaces seem to work though.
Question is if the ID4MKII works with the generic drivers.

Trell

Major Contributor
Yes, figured that out. Tried to work with generic drivers but did not work. Seems to be the case for nearly all USB interfaces which are not that old. Behringer interfaces seem to work though.
Question is if the ID4MKII works with the generic drivers.

I would download the ID4MKII manual and check.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I don't think the Audients are (entirely) class-compliant, which would be the buzzword to look out for. (The EVO 4 is though.) There's a fair few options these days, off the top of my head I can think of TASCAM 2x2HR, Arturia Audiofuse, UAA Volt, SSL 2(+) alongside the trusty Steinberg UR-22C if anyone still buys those (the mic preamp circuitry could really do with some renovation). For obvious reasons, only a plain vanilla WASAPI audio stack would be available when not installing manufacturer-provided drivers, no ASIO.

SchwarzeWolke

Forum Donor
I would download the ID4MKII manual and check.
I checked the manuals also from the EVO4, Tascam 2x2HR and SSL2 and they all tell me to install first the drivers before plugging in the device.
For the EVO, one person on Thomann writes that it doesn't work with Win10 without installing the driver, on Amazon somebody says that it is fully class compliant also with Win 10...
The only interface I personally tried out which worked without any driver is the Behringer UM2. (Which I'm using right now btw) I found several informations for the Behringer Uphoria x0x(HD) which states that those interfaces are "plug and play" with Win10.
So my guess is that at least the IDs from Audient are not fully class compliant.

Trell

Major Contributor
I checked the manuals also from the EVO4, Tascam 2x2HR and SSL2 and they all tell me to install first the drivers before plugging in the device.
For the EVO, one person on Thomann writes that it doesn't work with Win10 without installing the driver, on Amazon somebody says that it is fully class compliant also with Win 10...
The only interface I personally tried out which worked without any driver is the Behringer UM2. (Which I'm using right now btw) I found several informations for the Behringer Uphoria x0x(HD) which states that those interfaces are "plug and play" with Win10.
So my guess is that at least the IDs from Audient are not fully class compliant.

I’ve a Røde AI-1 audio interface that is fully USB2 audio class compliant on Windows 10, while my RME Fireface UCX II and Motu M2 are not.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
The only interface I personally tried out which worked without any driver is the Behringer UM2. (Which I'm using right now btw)
That's UAC1 compliant and would work literally anywhere (small wonder since it's based on stone age technology from ~2002). UAC2 requires drivers in older Windows versions pre-10 but in 10 should generally work out of the box.

As far as I understand it, the SSL2 requires drivers only for ASIO I/O, but musicians generally need that for their DAWs so this may be why. It also seems that the generic UAC2 driver may not actually be classed as generic and may thus fail to give way to manufacturer-specific drivers if these are installed after the interface is plugged in.

More advanced interfaces like the iD14 have mixer functionality etc. not mirrored by plain UAC2, but your plain 2-in/2-out interface with all controls on the device itself should be uncritical.

At the end of the day, the only way to know for sure is to plug it in and see what happens, or know of someone who has done just that.

OHtaru

ID4 mkii has replaced its ADC with ESS ES9822QPRO. The datasheet shows the ESS chip has lower THD+N than previous AKM AK5574EN.
By the way, the DAC chip package also changed, but there's 43199 on the chip. I'm not sure it's different modal or not, because I can't find any datasheet corresponds to 43199.
1640482734280.jpeg

1640482749635.jpeg

Last edited:

adrs

Hello everyone.
I consider buying this interface.
I would use it for electric guitar input and monitoring, or maybe additionaly active bass guitar or microphone.
Beside that, but not necesserily, I would like to use optical input from android tvbox to use it as DAC for stereo music/video while connected to low power Windows PC for driver initialization.
Could You help me with two things?
1. Is elevated distortion on multitone test still the case after firmware updates? Specs overall are very good, but I wonder if multitone distortion testing isn't better approximation of real music than single frequency/sweep testing.
2. Does anybody know how interface/software works while/plugged/unplugged/replugged/system restarted:
a) when I restart the system are mixer settings saved (for example monitor out volume of optical in)? I know that monitor and headphone volume is muted on initialization. Is just rising the volume by the main knob enough to get the sound of the system?
b) If I shut the system down but use external powered usb hub is interface functional in its last mixer state or does it switch off?
I also consider Arturia minifuse 2 if DAC side would play cleaner (THD+N/multitone) and give up on optical input if it is too much hassle to use it for ordinary playback.
Thanks

Top Bottom