• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ICEPower 125ASX2 Class D Amplifier Review

chang

I use two Chinese ASX125 in my active two way setup with minidsp 2x4hd and ScanSpeak Illuminator drivers. It has been almost two years and I am more than pleased with the sound up to medium to medium well volumes :) When I crank it up system loses transparency, highs become harsher, but tonality is still well composed and sound is listenable. It could be to due to any of the components, I still need to find out which one, but my first take is amps. Or maybe I expect to much from the two way system :)
I'm contemplating doing something similar. How did you volume match the two actives?

IvoDiy

I'm contemplating doing something similar. How did you volume match the two actives?
Actually I didn't. I used minidsp software for filtering and driver volume, and these configs were created from measuring a single speaker.

All the issues that bothered me were solved with a different set of filters, so volume matching of amps was not in my priority list. If the stereo image was displaced because of imbalance, I certainly couldn't hear that :)

If I had reference gear and listening space, I would do matching as a cherry on top.

I am getting an IcePowered XTZ A2-400 in a couple of days, so I will probably play and compare and do more measurements.

chang

Actually I didn't. I used minidsp software for filtering and driver volume, and these configs were created from measuring a single speaker.

All the issues that bothered me were solved with a different set of filters, so volume matching of amps was not in my priority list. If the stereo image was displaced because of imbalance, I certainly couldn't hear that :)

If I had reference gear and listening space, I would do matching as a cherry on top.

I am getting an IcePowered XTZ A2-400 in a couple of days, so I will probably play and compare and do more measurements.
Oh nice, sounds like I'll have to dive into the dsp. Thanks for getting back to me

Hipocrates

Hi

Anyone has the 125ASX2's designer manual? Ghent from Ghent Audio sent it to me once but I can't seem to find the file or the original email. I can't find it online (only the 50ASX2 can be found).

Thanks

Attachments

• ICEpower125ASX2_DesignersManual_1_1-1.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 272

Raikon_N

I just recently received my ICEpower 125ASX2 from eBay(in a Ghentaudio case). The seller said it was the newer 125ASX2 module version. Looks like it, except the QC test markings are nowhere to be found on the PCB.

First thing I noticed is, it does not produce any hiss unlike my previous dac/amp(topping MX3). This ICEpower amp sounds good to my ear so I am quite satisfied.

Attachments

• P_20230222_200203.jpg
    P_20230222_200203.jpg
    439 KB · Views: 218
  • P_20230222_200511.jpg
    P_20230222_200511.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 196
  • P_20230222_204427.jpg
    P_20230222_204427.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 208
  • P_20230222_204413.jpg
    P_20230222_204413.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 230
  • P_20230222_200111.jpg
    P_20230222_200111.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 227

Gratefuldad

I just recently received my ICEpower 125ASX2 from eBay(in a Ghentaudio case). The seller said it was the newer 125ASX2 module version. Looks like it, except the QC test markings are nowhere to be found on the PCB.

First thing I noticed is, it does not produce any hiss unlike my previous dac/amp(topping MX3). This ICEpower amp sounds good to my ear so I am quite satisfied.
Thanks for sharing. Do you see the need to use a fan?

lightrush

None whatsoever. With that said, the plate amps available from Hypex could be a nice alternative to anyone looking at this module. I'm using 2x 125ASX2 with a MiniDSP but 2 of the cheapest plate amps from Hypex could have done it better for the same cost.

Gaspar74

Does anyone know the wiring arrangement for the signal wire to RCA input. I’m looking to run it in single ended stereo and am finding confusing into on web. I ordered the cable kit from Ghent Audio and have a Ghent case too. I have the upgraded cable kit. This one.

lightrush

Here you go. This is how I've wired mine. Not sure what single ended means in this context. This is 2 channels in 2 channels out on the pic. As you can see, half of the input signal wires aren't connected.

Attachments

• IMG_20190823_215303~2.jpg
    IMG_20190823_215303~2.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 182

Raikon_N

Does anyone know the wiring arrangement for the signal wire to RCA input. I’m looking to run it in single ended stereo and am finding confusing into on web. I ordered the cable kit from Ghent Audio and have a Ghent case too. I have the upgraded cable kit. This one.

Here's mine, the one I bought from eBay.
And from what I understand, getting pictures from ICEpower site and taking some notes.
125asx2-L-R_channel_connection.jpg

Attachments

• 125asx2-diagram-p101-speaker-pin.jpg
    125asx2-diagram-p101-speaker-pin.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 125asx2-diagram-speaker-out.jpg
    125asx2-diagram-speaker-out.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 125asx2-diagram-p102-signal-pin.jpg
    125asx2-diagram-p102-signal-pin.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 125asx2-diagram-signal-input.jpg
    125asx2-diagram-signal-input.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 131

Raikon_N

Here you go. This is how I've wired mine. Not sure what single ended means in this context. This is 2 channels in 2 channels out on the pic. As you can see, half of the input signal wires aren't connected.
Hi @lightrush , from your picture of your speaker-out connection.
I noticed your color coding for the left speaker-out is not the same as mine.
The red color of your left-speaker out is supposed to be the signal pin and not Ground is it? Or my connection is the one that is wrong.

lightrush

That's a great observation. It might explain why I had to flip the polarity of one of the outputs in order to get the correct response. This amp is used to feed a full-range and a bass driver in a single speaker. Each channel feeds one driver. The crossover is done via a miniDSP before the amp. When I first configured everything I ended up getting a **dip** at the crossover region. Clearly a cancellation. As if one of the driver's phases was wrong... Well... Maybe this is why.

I'll double check.

lightrush

Yeah I'm pretty sure mine is wired incorrectly and I had wrong on one side all along. I have 2 amps like this for each side. One is wired correctly the other isn't. Thank you for the free upgrade!

Perif

Reviving this thread, hopefully, I bought a ICE 125asx2 kit from soundimports.eu but there are no sound in the attached speakers when testing. The wiring are the same as in post #312. It is running “SE”.

I’ve tried to feed it from the pre-outs of my Denon x3700h, directly from a Bluesound Node, and even my phone’s jack. When output volume on the source devices are cranked to the max I can hear barely audible sound in the speakers mixed with noise. Using an IR thermomotor, there is heat around the output circuits on the board, some 40-50 Celsius, so there are power around. When switched off, there is a little puf in the speakers, but that all.

I really can’t see that I’ve connected any wires wrongly, but of cause possible. There are not any shorts between the inputs, outputs and ground, nor between any terminals.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Is it a DoA, return to sender board I’ve got – or can’t I use connect the tested inputs due to low voltage or similar?

Thanks,

Zuuk

I came here with a little question regarding this module. I wanted to build active speakers and i am now in the process of making the plate amplifier for which i want to use the 125ASX2. I have already build an amp with the HypeX Ncore modules so thought it would be a breeze but i am getting no audio whatsoever. When i turn the amplifier off there is quiet popping? sound coming from the speaker. Can anyone have a quick look at my connections and see what is wrong? i know it's a genuine

The little device in upper left can be ignored, thats a volume, bass and treble board i want to use but the issue happens without that connected in any way

and excuse the few open wires and stuff, i wanted to use crimp socks and everything later but this was just to test it out

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-06-07 at 20.11.49.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-06-07 at 20.11.49.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 139
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-06-07 at 20.11.51.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-06-07 at 20.11.51.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 136
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-06-07 a2t 20.11.51.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-06-07 a2t 20.11.51.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 137

thematttk

I came here with a little question regarding this module. I wanted to build active speakers and i am now in the process of making the plate amplifier for which i want to use the 125ASX2. I have already build an amp with the HypeX Ncore modules so thought it would be a breeze but i am getting no audio whatsoever. When i turn the amplifier off there is quiet popping? sound coming from the speaker. Can anyone have a quick look at my connections and see what is wrong? i know it's a genuine

The little device in upper left can be ignored, thats a volume, bass and treble board i want to use but the issue happens without that connected in any way

and excuse the few open wires and stuff, i wanted to use crimp socks and everything later but this was just to test it out
Was looking through this thread for something unrelated, but hopefully you figured this out by now. If not, the only potential issue I see is that your 230v jumper is in. If you're in North America, you need to remove that jumper (P201 in bottom left of your pics) and connect it to the 115v pins on P200 (bottom middle in your pics, on the other side of the cap).

Also, Icepower recommends twisting those speaker outs to help mitigate EMI noise.

Scrivs

Forum Donor
I realize I'm a bit late to the party, but the "enable" pin (P102, pin2) must be connected to power the board. Hope you're enjoying it, pretty rad modules (harvested mine out of a $60 Vocopro FA-500).

Top Bottom