• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I want to listen to another set of passive desktop speakers. Maximum 300.00

OP
N

NoxMorbis

@NoxMorbis Amazon using 3rd parties. I only buy from Amazon without other businesses in the loop. Something about it bothers me. :D
Yeah same here. Except I will buy stuff like used CD roms from 3rd party sellers because used they are much cheaper and many times Amazon doesn't have them new anyway. All I do is rip them to FLAC and sell or give the disk away.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe, but they are $300 in kit form, which is really cool, but they better perform better than assembled 300 dollars speakers, right? Otherwise, what's the point? Do you have a link to their technical review?
You're the one with the strict price point thing going on, and these fit, plus I think it's a good exercise. Think I paid closer to $200 for the kit a few years ago. May take a bit of work, but I enjoy the pair I built; no measurements to link but think there are a few floating out there. Same kit Dennis Murphy used for a while as a basis for his mods in the form of the Affordable Accuracy monitors after he used the Pioneer LS22.

Benedium

Forum Donor
I'm using the Klipsch R-51m speakers right now. I'm trying to find a technical review, but can't. However, all of the Youtube audio dedicated reviewers have good things to say about them. One thing I was not doing that they said to do is pull them away from the wall, and then don't tow them in at all, just straight forward. . So I did it. So, yeah, they sound even better that way. A lot better, really. Thanks for the links to the reviews. I'll take a look. Looking forward to doing a side by side listening test. :)

I actually did listent to Erin's review. What's your take on the Polk XT15?
I've owned polk xt15 used as surround speakers with my elac dbr62 fronts. Polk xt15 is tonally very accurate and flat, perceptibly more so than dbr62 even. While it is heavy for its size, it is still a smallish cabinet and the bass isn't as tactile.

OP
N

NoxMorbis

You're the one with the strict price point thing going on, and these fit, plus I think it's a good exercise. Think I paid closer to $200 for the kit a few years ago. May take a bit of work, but I enjoy the pair I built; no measurements to link but think there are a few floating out there. Same kit Dennis Murphy used for a while as a basis for his mods in the form of the Affordable Accuracy monitors after he used the Pioneer LS22.
I wasn't trying to put you off. I should have stated that any speaker I'm considering must have a technical test to go with it. I'd like to do those Dayton, but wihtout a technical test behind it, I wouldn't do it in my current situation in life. It would be a fund project at another time.

OP
N

NoxMorbis

While we're on the subject of hi fidelity, I was wondering if any of you would be interested in listening to an FLAC file I have and tell me what you think of the mixing?
You can download it here:
Show You Something, Simplicity

PM me for the download decryption key.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wasn't trying to put you off. I should have stated that any speaker I'm considering must have a technical test to go with it. I'd like to do those Dayton, but wihtout a technical test behind it, I wouldn't do it in my current situation in life. It would be a fund project at another time.
I didn't take it that way, just don't have measurements for you. Good luck in your search.

Top Bottom