• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I want to make sense of the measurements provided in the manual of the speakers(Sonodyne)

navka

I am from India, and I want to enjoy music on flat sounding speakers/monitors. I have a very old Sony hifi system that does good, but I have a small desk where size of the monitors matter, and I’ve decided to get speakers for 3”/4”. Strictly for desktop use and near field listening. When I started searching for quality monitors for the same, I found genelecs to be interesting but prohibitively priced out of my budget. Sonodyne is a company from India and they’ve introduced a new monitor. Though made in India I hardly see any YT channels from India covering them either. The owners manual from their website has given these frequency measurements. Which I can’t make a sense of, if any of you can help me figure it’s a good speaker with measurements, I’d likely go ahead and buy these. These cost equivalent to 300 USD in Indian currency, for the pair. I’d also like suggestions as to if I have to use a sub for near field listening, as I need bass to be present and clear with texture, don’t need overwhelming bass either, since I’d be listening at desk and at low volumes, I’ve developed tinnitus, hence. Want to protect my hearing as well.
TL;DR : Newbie trying to decide getting monitors for desktop listening in a very tight space. Want someone to make sense of the measurements provided in the manual for the said speakers.

Attachments

• IMG_8929.jpeg
    IMG_8929.jpeg
    276.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_8927.jpeg
    IMG_8927.jpeg
    506.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_8926.jpeg
    IMG_8926.jpeg
    485.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_8928.jpeg
    IMG_8928.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 74
OP
N

navka

The said model is Sonodyne PM 4040, if anyone has experience with the specific model or with Sonodyne in general, please do let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A more expensive Sonodyne monitor was measured by the German Sound & Recording magazine and did very well:

Sorry but I have though no information about the PM 4040, though with such quite extended manufacturer measurement sheet the chances are not bad that it performs well in its price class.

OP
N

navka

A more expensive Sonodyne monitor was measured by the German Sound & Recording magazine and did very well:

Sorry but I have though no information about the PM 4040, though with such quite extended manufacturer measurement sheet the chances are not bad that it performs well in its price class.
Thanks for pointing out the review.

Alatashanti

The said model is Sonodyne PM 4040, if anyone has experience with the specific model or with Sonodyne in general, please do let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
If you still haven't decided on what to buy etc... I have the PM 4040. They are a worthy purchase - very detailed and clear, and I am very happy with them. Since I was on a tight budget as well, I get where you are coming from and I doubt you can get any better for this price point (especially with the discount [see below] and in India). Unless you want really deep bass, you don't need a sub either. The bass is clean and tight, easily sufficient for most listening purposes. These go quite loud (and stay clear sounding) for such small looking monitors, so watch out for that with the volume knob. I'm currently in the process of DIY isolating them from my desk.

I suggest purchasing from Audiogears (on amazon or on their own site), they have a significant discount on these right now.

Top Bottom