• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a small Speaker (active or passive), woofer not bigger than 4 Inches preferably

madrac

this looks interesting in so many way, do you have them? if yes, any good amp for these?
I have 4 HTM200's in my theater as ATMOS heights. I'm driving them (along with my Center and 2 surrounds) with a VTV 7 channel Pascal amp.
I'm also currently using a pair at my house in Brazil as mains, driven by an MRX720. One of these days, I'll bring my LX's to Brazil to use as mains and use the HTMs as surrounds.

As to Ascends, depending on your budget, take a look at the Luna V2 (although 4.5" woofer).

OP
AmielMix

AmielMix

How about the Philharmonic Audio “True Mini?”

I have not heard it but Dennis supplies measurements which look good. I have a pair of Dennis’ affordable accuracy monitors and they were a fantastic value.

These are $380 per pair.
they look cool and have ported and sealed versions.

HQY

Barrelhouse Solly

Yes, I heard about that small pioneer speaker...do you remember the original model? maybe it was the SP-BS21-LR ?
I think that's right. I got a pair from Fry's a few years ago on sale for $69. They're good and work very nicely with a subwoofer.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My primary thought is, why the hell would you?

fineMen

Major Contributor
Hi,

I am looking for a small Speaker (active or passive) ... not bigger than 4 Inches ...
... good balance, don't need ... loud ... have a different voice (vs) Dutch & Dutch 8C and Amphion Two15
... sounds good (maybe a kind of average audiophile sound ...loking for contrast ... good and cheap
... a different perspective ... for nearfield use
I hope I filtered the essence of your request correctly. And you don't expect big bass.
Consider D&D or Amphion as as good as it gets in absolute terms, especially when used on the long run while concentrating more on the program than observing the speakers for themselves ( new music / mix is assessed, not speaker quality with exsisting mix / music ).

Earlier I suggested to define what a 'standard' not-that-optimal speaker would be. Decribe, in this case, those actually desired , but not so severe imperfections. What would substantiate a valid contrast against virtually perfect speakers? There are infinite posibilities and to start out even with finding the criteria will be a challenge.

I don't know how it would be facilitated in the US, but in Europe we have a bigger market for pre-owned equipment. In order to cope with the endless choices one might go out and just buy, for cheap, highly regarded speakers from 10..20y ago or so. These would represent the profile of usual equipment on the consumer side. Any Focal, a B&W, JBL consumer line, ...
Once all are evaluated in regard to those happy imperfections one might get rid of many, but keep two or three maybe?

Xormungar

Get iLoud MTM's (for optimal price/performance ratio) or KH80 DSP for (maximum performance)

Last edited:
OP
AmielMix

AmielMix

I hope I filtered the essence of your request correctly. And you don't expect big bass.
Consider D&D or Amphion as as good as it gets in absolute terms, especially when used on the long run while concentrating more on the program than observing the speakers for themselves ( new music / mix is assessed, not speaker quality with exsisting mix / music ).

Earlier I suggested to define what a 'standard' not-that-optimal speaker would be. Decribe, in this case, those actually desired , but not so severe imperfections. What would substantiate a valid contrast against virtually perfect speakers? There are infinite posibilities and to start out even with finding the criteria will be a challenge.

I don't know how it would be facilitated in the US, but in Europe we have a bigger market for pre-owned equipment. In order to cope with the endless choices one might go out and just buy, for cheap, highly regarded speakers from 10..20y ago or so. These would represent the profile of usual equipment on the consumer side. Any Focal, a B&W, JBL consumer line, ...
Once all are evaluated in regard to those happy imperfections one might get rid of many, but keep two or three maybe?

Hi, Finemen,

Well, anybody can interpret any speaker in a different way, this is why at the end of the day the best speaker for you is the one you know and like.

Now, I have the D&D that is a more powerful and capable speaker than the Two15, the D&D allows me to dig deeper into the mix and into each instrument, have an extended low end and no need for sub, the strength of the Two15 for me is balance (is a smaller sounding speaker compared to the D&D) and also is great in allowing me to understand the overall frequency balance tonality (less capable the speaker scream at you easier when something is being pused a lil too much, and that is an asset for me)... Now I want to have a mirror or my mix even a smaller speaker, this is why I want a speaker that is not bigger than a 4" woofer. and also that is not a "studio" monitor(different sound signature) ..... a small speaker already has many limitations comparing to a bigger and high quality speaker, but at the same time those limitations may show one or tow interesting things that would be valuable in assessing how is your mix...specially in lower end systems and system with smaller woofers and bass response...and is not the same putting a HPF in a better speaker, as the energy and the push into the speaker is not the same.
In that regard I want a smaller speaker, no studio speaker 4 inch woofer and smaller, that sound in way balanced in his own nature, yes I could grab any old lil speaker, but to be honest I never had computer monitors or lil book shelf speakers, and I see here many members tried so many different non studio monitors and I am sure have many interesting experiences and opinions with HIFi and audiophile monitors as well.

Thanks

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
NHT SuperZero. But the cone is 4.5”

Or Bose companion 2 iii

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi, Finemen,

Well, anybody can interpret any speaker in a different way, this is why at the end of the day the best speaker for you is the one you know and like.

Now, I have the D&D that is a more powerful and capable speaker than the Two15,
Any luck picking a speaker (this is a 4 month old thread)? I'm confused that we would all propose "well measuring speakers" when what you would seem to want is to know what an average person may experience when listening to one of your mixes on their system, yes? Seems the obvious solution would be to just go to Amazon and buy whatever the current #1 bookshelf speaker is. That's the Edifier R1280T with over 18,000 reviews. The next highest number of reviews would be the Sony SS-CS5 with over 8,000 reviews and the Polk T15 at over 10,000, although setting foot in a Best Buy would suggest that the cheap Klipsch's also sell well. All measure pretty badly. The Edifier does "ok":

You could also find whatever the most commonly bought car in America is and go sit in that since a lot of people spend a lot of their listening time in cars and OEM cars tend to have horrible acoustics. Currently that's still the Honda Accord, with the F150 in second place.

Finally, the Dennis Murphy mod to the Pioneer was to the SP-BS22-LR. Here's how it measured stock (they were an excellent bargain and even better if you did the full mod):

Top Bottom