• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex NCx500 Class D Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 55 11.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 397 86.1%

• Total voters

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
With super low Rds On specs of the Mosfet transistors in the output, heat sinking is only required by makers with above average paranoia concerning the customers described in prior sentence.

You cannot be serious.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Partly and partly I'm yanking a few chains. The guy who put up a spec. sheet for Ice Power Amps at 1,200 Watts (I had the 50 W version) vs. the NC 500 is an apples and elephants comparison. I measure 12.6 Watt peaks on my 106 db/w horns on Drum Recordings. I do have 100 W on the horn sub though.

All loudspeakers are space heaters that make sound. Horns run from 20-50% efficiency and are the only ones than can put out 1 Acoustic watt of SOUND, which is what matters most. Horns need the most S/N ratio so you don't hear hissing tweeters, but that is beyond the scope of this text.
I did not post "vs" or some comparison.
The one added to the other,it was just that the 1200as2 had the specific heatshink used and the NC500 data sheet blows out of the water the myth stating the above (pic) :

Class D amplifiers’ known high efficiency often leads to a gross underestimation of the cooling required. Please
apply adequate cooling to the module to ensure the module operates within specification. The following graphs
provide an indication of the heat (in Watts) generated at different output levels. For more information regarding
cooling, please refer to our application note “Thermal Design”, available on our website. Defects caused by
overheating due to poor thermal management are not covered by warranty.

So it's not some spec,it's the exact words of the original manufacturer as you asked for them.
And to be exact,the graph is per channel,so do the calc and you'll see for yourself,numbers don't lie.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep, but Millions of them do make digital. Does a singular sine wave make music?
Milliions of switches can make digital IF they are arranged to do so (encode numerically). The around 300million?? light switches in UK households don't make a digital system just because there are millions of them.

Just as a million sinewaves don't make music unless they are arranged to do so - otherwise it is just noise.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just as a million sinewaves don't make music unless they are arranged to do so - otherwise it is just noise
The one thing is in the eye of the beholder, the other one is not. The comparison is moot anyway.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just as a million sinewaves don't make music unless they are arranged to do so - otherwise it is just noise.
Good luck trying to define "music". Is 4'33" by John Cage music or not?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tying in the FACT the the singular use of ONE transistor (analog), as a SWITCH (single bit, on or off) is digital in the way it's used, even though it's use in a SYSTEM of binary digits is the use of an analog device.
No. A switch in itself is not per se digital. Digital doesn't mean "only having two states, off or on", but "signal is encoded as a series of numerically encoded samples with finite precision". The word "digital" comes from "digits", or fingers - because it is like counting on fingers.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
long term Amperes
How do they compare to short or medium term Amperes?
I just heard a pair of well reviewed Class A amplifiers that change to a/b on the peak current demands of inefficient Open baffle speakers to the tune of 140 Peak Amperes
I assume you are aware that that would mean 30 kW even into very low impedance (2 Ω) speakers?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course I do. However a Mosfet transistor (analog v-a transfer function) used as low loss Switch is still what makes it so Efficient, in concert with low Rds On, of course.
Yes. Indeed. It just doesn't have anything to do with digital. It is switching - just like in switch-mode power supplies, equally efficient and non-digital.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know that I should look somewhere else but can't stop watching. Human fascination for train wrecks I guess.
I have to admit I do occasionally confuse this thread with the "A Call For Humor!" thread...

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Who would have thought that an amplifier review thread turns into a digital definition lecture to one stubborn pupil
Several off topic posts deleted. Let’s get back on topic. If you want to discuss Digital definitions please start a separate thread and talk until you run out of ideas and words. Not here please.

I ask Forum Donor’s to self police their own posts. If they are off topic please delete them yourself before I get there. ;)

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The word "digital" comes from "digits", or fingers - because it is like counting on fingers.

Quantization error:
1700521441601.jpeg

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Top Bottom