• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to get DBFB in a new generation music system?

I am using an old Hi-Fi system(Sony MHC-W777AV) for enjoying music.
IMG20230227092743.jpg

In this, I have a DBFB(Dynamic Bass Feedback) button. If I press that, I can hear low and smoothened bass from this small woofer which is impressive. Not only the bass but the total music experience is also enhanced. How Can I get such a music experience in newer amplifiers with only tone controls?
For example, can I get this from a 2.1 amplifier by connecting a larger(12 inch) subwoofer? But I am still confused about whether will it be possible? How can we achieve the equalizer and sound preprocessing of that old music system? Totally confused..........!

Should I consider OLD IS GOLD ;);););)

staticV3

Master Contributor
Apparently DBFB is a type of equal loudness compensation (ISO226).
Adding a subwoofer will increase bass, but not dynamically according to your current volume, like DBFB does.
If you're playing your music from a PC, then you can add equal loudness compensation via Equalizer APO or similar.
If you're playing your music from cassette/radio/CD instead, then that won't work of course.
You'd have to look for a player that also has equal loudness comp built in.

Multicore

Major Contributor
I am using an old Hi-Fi system(Sony MHC-W777AV) for enjoying music.
View attachment 271601
In this, I have a DBFB(Dynamic Bass Feedback) button. If I press that, I can hear low and smoothened bass from this small woofer which is impressive. Not only the bass but the total music experience is also enhanced. How Can I get such a music experience in newer amplifiers with only tone controls?
For example, can I get this from a 2.1 amplifier by connecting a larger(12 inch) subwoofer? But I am still confused about whether will it be possible? How can we achieve the equalizer and sound preprocessing of that old music system? Totally confused..........!

Should I consider OLD IS GOLD ;);););)
Well, I'm old so I'll agree with the summary.

And I think that if you like what you've got, trying to find something modern and make it sound like that but more so will be a frustrating experience, likely also expensive and time consuming.

Top Bottom