• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Please suggest audio setup for Gaming and Music!

CalcuttaSada

My purpose is to have clean and clear gaming audio to hear every single sound. I recently got BOSE COMPANION 20 speakers and they kinda changed my life. the enhanced audio just amplified the gaming experience and gave me a very immersive experience.

So someone suggested me to get Studio Monitors or Nearfield monitors. I sit on desktop computer would me about 2 feet away from the speakers at the most.

I would also like nice bass to get those goosebumps when a large boss arrives.

So i was considering some 5" Studio Monitors. So what would be your opinion ?
Only 5" studio monitors ? or something else as well. or should i go for bookshelf speakers. For the bass i can always add a bass module later if needed.

I may get an audio interface as I am able to find some good deals in the used market. or should i get a desktop amplifier instead ? which would be better ? I am not looking for any input into the desktop just output.

Please guide.

PS I use HD560s with FiiO Q1mk2 for music on iphone and totally love its sound. ( incase that is relevant)
PSS please do not mind the noob questions and shift to correct channel if this is not right.

staticV3

Master Contributor
My purpose is to have clean and clear gaming audio to hear every single sound.
I would also like nice bass to get those goosebumps when a large boss arrives.
So i was considering some 5" Studio Monitors. So what would be your opinion ?
Many games now come with their own HRTF surround sound, giving you incredible positional awareness.
To make use of that feature however, you have to use headphones or IEMs. Monitors don't work with that.

Therefore, I'd recommend you try some IEMs. The Truthear Red is a good place to start.
As a bonus, you'll also get much deeper bass with IEMs than what you would get with 5" Studio Monitors. And no issues with room acoustics.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Kali LP 6 V2 and a sub (at least 10" one), consider buying a measurement mic like UMIK-1 and use it with REW & EQ-APO (both free software and EQ-APO will work for not property DRM sources for both).

OP
C

CalcuttaSada

Many games now come with their own HRTF surround sound, giving you incredible positional awareness.
To make use of that feature however, you have to use headphones or IEMs. Monitors don't work with that.

Therefore, I'd recommend you try some IEMs. The Truthear Red is a good place to start.
As a bonus, you'll also get much deeper bass with IEMs than what you would get with 5" Studio Monitors. And no issues with room acoustics.
thanks but i would like speakers. i already have truthear hola for on the go music, but for gaming i would like some nice speakers.

OP
C

CalcuttaSada

Kali LP 6 V2 and a sub (at least 10" one), consider buying a measurement mic like UMIK-1 and use it with REW & EQ-APO (both free software and EQ-APO will work for not property DRM sources for both).
why the mic?

OP
C

CalcuttaSada

wouldnt 6inch be too big for me ? its not a huge table. I am thinking in 5"
KRK Rokit5
Yamaha HS5
Mackie CR5x
or something on those lines.

I am from India so choices arent as many as other countries.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
wouldnt 6inch be too big for me ? its not a huge table. I am thinking in 5"
KRK Rokit5
Yamaha HS5
Mackie CR5x
or something on those lines.

I am from India so choices arent as many as other countries.
For the sound quality they provide of course.
They also have unbalanced inputs which ain't the case for most powered monitor's and buying a balanced DAC/interface increases cost.
Try to fit them if you can. Unfortunately both prices and availability are terrible in India (for most speakers). Try to find them from local seller to at least have normal warenty because on imported one's you won't have it. Would like that I can help you more but I am afraid I can't, best regards and have a nice time.
Edit: microphone so that you can EQ (PEQ) them, similar like you do headphones but based on received/measured response by mic.
It doesn't have to be UMIK-1 tho I don’t know which microphones calibration files (other than UMIK) REW supports.

Top Bottom