• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Exploring (personalized) Audio Spaces and Musical Discoveries

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At 64, my ongoing fascination with audio and music persists. At home, I've crafted a dedicated Mancave, partly fine-tuning reverb-time with room treatment and employing room correction software for a close too pristine sound experience. Despite this audio haven, the living room where i live 90% of my time unfortunate acousticly, WAF:facepalm:, serious speakers an room treatment are impractical if not imposible.

With only a latest 50-inch QLED TV and mobile phones as audio sources, serious listening becomes a challenge in the living room. Audio specific less than10% of my time at home, I find solace in the mancave. But now Radio, once reserved for my car or phone, becomes a surprising new focal point in the living room.
IMG-20240114-WA0003.jpeg

Opting for a used Bose Wave Music System III, the living room transforms. The wave guide technology adds full-sounding bass and balanced mids and highs, overcoming the room's shrillness a sort of room correction. Same result could probably be generated by a bluetooth soundbar which i find hidious looking. However comparing to the mancave sound, the difference is undeniable in favour for the mancave. But as i mentiond i spend there less than 10% of my daily time.
Now, the Bose DAB radio dominates 80% of living room time, playing soul and jazz. It's reminiscent of a teenage addiction to a portable AM/FM radio. The joy lies in the unpredictability of artists and songs, a stark contrast to the mostly curated playlist of the mancave. Which has partly to do with mostly listening to well recorded music.

While the mancave remains a sanctuary for specific artists, songs an recording quality, the living room introduces diversity. I also delved into new an old music through ASR topics, forums like Steve hofmann, websites, and podcasts like 'A History of Rock Music in 500 Songs' . Streaming services could point you using algo's to personal music advise but still IMO fall short, and the richness of musical discovery thrives in unconventional avenues like radio an sources here above.

I'm curious to hear about your musical journey. How do you perceive your music, and what unique sources do you use to discover new and old artist songs?.;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21219

My tastes are sometimes too eclectic for algorithms; they end up being too confining instead of helpful. (In one evening, I might go from Oscar Hammerich to QOTSA to Norah Jones to 1930s electric recordings to gospel.) The thread on ASR, "What are we listening to now?", is far more helpful. It guarantees that someone, somewhere, is enthusiastic about the music they post. An algorithm can provide information, but not enthusiasm, if that makes any sense. Much of the time, the program directors for radio stations present the same problem ... although I admit there are exceptions.

Despite my eclectic tastes, classical -and especially classical symphonic - remains my greatest love. In order to stay abreast of music that might otherwise get lost in the din of the crowd, I use this site:

Jim

Top Bottom