• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to best use Yamaha HS8S sub with Genelec 8020B?

grymoire

I got a great deal on a pair of 8020B, they sound great but I only wish there was more bass. The bass sounds good, and theres almost more bass than my HS5, definitely more defined, but it drops off more steeply. Overall pretty impressive for a 4" driver.

I have decently extensive room treatment; like a dozen bass traps placed pretty well in a small room, mass loaded speaker stands, carefully measured positioning, etc. I'd really like to add a subwoofer, I think I've earned it lol. It could be a very long time before I can afford to purchase even a used Genelec sub (if one ever even comes up locally), let alone new. I'm writing/mixing/mastering bass heavy electronic music for over 10 years.

I can get a used HS8S for a great deal. Is this going to work OK with the 8020Bs? I'm sure a genelec sub is basically plug n play with genelec monitors, but I'm sure using a non-genelec sub creates a lot more Important considerations regarding phase, crossover, etc. I've read a few topics on this across the internet, but its mostly in regards to the SAM genelec speakers.

I also I only have a scarlett 2i4, not sure how well that can accommodate genelec monitors w/ non genelec sub. Looking to cheaply upgrade that anyways to something that can easily switch between my genelec & yamaha monitors, I don't do any recording and am not concerned about fancy DACs and whatnot.

Any advice appreciated :)
(mods, please move this thread if this is the wrong section!)

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What seems to be the problem? Just plug your audio interface and monitors to the sub inputs and outputs. Start with 80Hz crossover and that's about it.

If you want tweak further then it's time for the usual miniDSP, Umik-1 and REW setup.

Genelec subs are IMO worth it when you have all SAM equipment and benefit from GLM automatic corrections. Not worth it if you are on a very tight budget.

OP
G

grymoire

What seems to be the problem? Just plug your audio interface and monitors to the sub inputs and outputs. Start with 80Hz crossover and that's about it.

If you want tweak further then it's time for the usual miniDSP, Umik-1 and REW setup.

Genelec subs are IMO worth it when you have all SAM equipment and benefit from GLM automatic corrections. Not worth it if you are on a very tight budget.
great, was hoping that was the answer. thanks!

Top Bottom