• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How far have ss amps really come in the last twenty years??

• Thread starter Deleted member 12
  • Start date

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
View attachment 29256
View attachment 29258

"But of course when the hoards of believers decend over some fact that shakes one of their closely held delusions, we're expected to shut up and not argue back too strongly. How dare we ask for supportable evidence for any ridiculous claims the believers present. The real problem is our ears or gears of course and you might even get banned for being right." -Sal1950

“As I've said a number of times here, when all attempts to inject true scientific paths and common sense fall on deaf ears, all that's left is ridicule the wrongheadedness.” -Sal1950

“That's why sometimes a good hard smack upside the head works better than anything.Problem with the internet is, it's so hard to reach out and touch someone.” -Sal1950

Are you requesting that Sal have a safe space? I assume you extend that sentiment to all others here as well?
Ok, so iv been through your recent posting history and it's virtually exclusively dedicated to trolling member @Sal1950 .

I will give you a chance , one chance to move onto discussing audio topics.

Consider this a official and last warning.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Thomas, the 'retired' in your avatar needs to be updated. :facepalm:

Maybe, semi-retired? ;)
Iv accidentally come back into service, I'm like a former prostitute that while innocently waiting at a pedestrian crossing suddenly and totally unconsciously gets into the passenger seat of a idling truck.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Iv accidentally come back into service, I'm like a former prostitute that while innocently waiting at a pedestrian crossing suddenly and totally unconsciously gets into the passenger seat of a idling truck.
May the Lord bless and keep you for all the good work you've done here. ;)

Krunok

Major Contributor
This is so different from everything else Magico makes I've assumed it was for Asian markets. They even show Asians in the photos. It still may be very good, but I don't know that it means they think this is the only way to make good speakers.

I would like to see how they would fare against say Revel Performa3 on a blind test. Wouldn't be surprised if they loose as to me it seems they've been built to impress more with the looks than with sound. :D

Last edited:

Krunok

Major Contributor
I certainly can't speak for your wife... but with mine - if I've bought her a house with a listening room large enough to house those... and enough money left over that dropping $600K on some speakers isn't insane... she'd be more than happy to have those. She'd even listen to them while ordering 5,000 pairs of shoes and a few hundred handbags. :cool:

Well, I guess when you put it like that.. :)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Come on Thomas. You aren't a prostitute if you don't get paid. You're just easy.

Now as a Desperado.................

Can you introduce us to Selma Hayek or is she too busy with her billionaire husband still?

Wombat

Master Contributor

Premature evacuation? :facepalm:

Hey, I came back, too. Hard habit to shake. o_O

Krunok

Major Contributor
Come on Thomas. You aren't a prostitute if you don't get paid. You're just easy.

Now as a Desperado.................

Can you introduce us to Selma Hayek or is she too busy with her billionaire husband still?

images.jpg

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Well I for one like your return. It's like all those 80s bands touring again. They are old but you can't help but like it ;)

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Well I for one like your return. It's like all those 80s bands touring again. They are old but you can't help but like it ;)
Yes I'm the bananarama of moderators..

You do a good job of moderating yourselves to be honest, just now and then a empty chamber just doesn't get the job done.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I walked right into this , so not a professional just a enthusiastic, a very enthusiastic amateur knicker dropper.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Achieving realistic SPL in a living room more or less invalidates the old Harry Pearson "Absolute Sound' idea: that is, reproduction of natural acoustics in a domestic situation. That will never happen. At most, what can be attempted is a small (often very small) 'picture' of the original source. I'm thinking about a particular track on Brian Wilson's Pet Sounds record--the last track which starts out with some weird drum-like percussion. That can be reproduced as it was in the studio. No problem. You can even turn it up a lot, if you want. Still no problem. The track ends with a freight train rolling by. A locomotice can never be reproduced in your living room. Then, some dogs barking in the distance; that is possible to recreate, at least from a distance.

Back in the day a lot of audiophiles went for the acoustic suspension AR type of sound. They were pretty coherent from top to bottom, but IMO never sounded 'dynamic'. They didn't sound like 'real' to me. Instead of the AR3a I bought JBL L100s. JBL sounded more 'lifelike', dynamic if you will. I then had a set of original Quads, and they sounded nice, much better in a way than anything else, but they too didn't sound life-like in a dynamic way. And I'm not talking about head-banging rock, but classical and small combo jazz.

Now I use horns speakers and a sub. Sure, they have their own problems. But what they accomplish, at least to my ears, overcomes whatever limitations they have. It's a trade off... mostly limited by dollars and your living room space. Think about it... we have 'perfect' amps and great recordings from 'perfect' digital sources (not to mention all the great older analog material), but when is someone going to design the perfect speaker? Probably never. LOL

Wombat

Master Contributor
Achieving realistic SPL in a living room more or less invalidates the old Harry Pearson "Absolute Sound' idea: that is, reproduction of natural acoustics in a domestic situation. That will never happen. At most, what can be attempted is a small (often very small) 'picture' of the original source. I'm thinking about a particular track on Brian Wilson's Pet Sounds record--the last track which starts out with some weird drum-like percussion. That can be reproduced as it was in the studio. No problem. You can even turn it up a lot, if you want. Still no problem. The track ends with a freight train rolling by. A locomotice can never be reproduced in your living room. Then, some dogs barking in the distance; that is possible to recreate, at least from a distance.

Back in the day a lot of audiophiles went for the acoustic suspension AR type of sound. They were pretty coherent from top to bottom, but IMO never sounded 'dynamic'. They didn't sound like 'real' to me. Instead of the AR3a I bought JBL L100s. JBL sounded more 'lifelike', dynamic if you will. I then had a set of original Quads, and they sounded nice, much better in a way than anything else, but they too didn't sound life-like in a dynamic way. And I'm not talking about head-banging rock, but classical and small combo jazz.

Now I use horns speakers and a sub. Sure, they have their own problems. But what they accomplish, at least to my ears, overcomes whatever limitations they have. It's a trade off... mostly limited by dollars and your living room space. Think about it... we have 'perfect' amps and great recordings from 'perfect' digital sources (not to mention all the great older analog material), but when is someone going to design the perfect speaker? Probably never. LOL

There is something about high efficiency drivers and horns that make other speakers struggle for realism. Yes there are trade-offs. IMNSHO.

Last edited:
Top Bottom