• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with my faulty 12" subwoofer design

OP
Yevhen

Yevhen

Forum Donor
Just what dsp are you applying to the sub overall and with what?
My measurement setup:
REW -> laptop soundcard -> LPF -> amplifier -> passive sub -> UMIC-1 -> USB of the laptop -> REW

DanielT

Major Contributor
Make a flow chart. Write down all and what components you use in the flow. Hardware and software.

Then problem solving to exclude part by part, component by component.
Plus how and where you measure. What it looks like physically.

In short, everything you come up with

It can usually help if you get an overview. It also helps other knowledgeable people who can then help you more easily then. :) .

Publish your complete schedule here in the thread for help.Really make sure to include everything in the flow chart.

Then systematically step by step. Attached image example in electronics, but the principle, the way to go about it is general.:)

Attachments

• 20211116_223545620.jpeg
    20211116_223545620.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
OP
Yevhen

Yevhen

Forum Donor
Here is my in-room response (Left speaker + sub, mic pointed at the speaker at 0.5m distance, 1/12 oct smoothing)
Still need to kill room mode at 40Hz (coming from the speaker in the corner of the room). Fortunately, sub is placed in the middle of the long wall and does not ignite that 40Hz mode.

1637097748831.png

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
:) why strange? It's my home office. Normally I use the company laptop only for work and stream music via Chromecast.
Why a lpf for a sealed sub for starters? Meant not the measurement setup, but your basic setup. Are you using REW to implement the lpf or ?

ps nm to an extent, had hpf on the brain for the sealed sub. Still was more curious about specific hardware in the basic setup.

OP
Yevhen

Yevhen

Forum Donor
Why a lpf for a sealed sub for starters? Meant not the measurement setup, but your basic setup. Are you using REW to implement the lpf or ?
Ah, no, I've built a hardware LPF (resistors and capacitors, 3rd order) to cut everything after 40-60Hz

Holmz

Major Contributor
My measurement setup:
REW -> laptop soundcard -> LPF -> amplifier -> passive sub -> UMIC-1 -> USB of the laptop -> REW

Well if it was clipping the sub, then that would explain a lot.

You might want to try more sub amp gain, and lower the signal on the preamp side?

The plot look like it should be sounding good if the output is enough now?
Are you done? Or is it still lacking?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah, no, I've built a hardware LPF (resistors and capacitors, 3rd order) to cut everything after 40-60Hz
Why? Seems an electronic crossover with your speakers would be the better route.

Holmz

Major Contributor
Why? Seems an electronic crossover with your speakers would be the better route.

In the OP’s defence though, he has found a solution that helps to understand where the problem might be occurring.
I doubt we would have gotten there digitally, if my premise of (digital) clipping is the cause.
So I think he is onto a decent path here.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In the OP’s defence though, he has found a solution that helps to understand where the problem might be occurring.
I doubt we would have gotten there digitally, if my premise of (digital) clipping is the cause.
So I think he is onto a decent path here.
Maybe. We'll see. Just seems kinda goofy and not ideal to start with.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor

ps nm to an extent, had hpf on the brain for the sealed sub. Still was more curious about specific hardware in the basic setup.

If he didn't implement an LPF (analog or digital), it wouldn't be a sub. :)

Low pass filters filter out the high frequencies and let the low frequencies through.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If he didn't implement an LPF (analog or digital), it wouldn't be a sub. :)

Low pass filters filter out the high frequencies and let the low frequencies through.
Yes, with speakers, sure. For just measurement of the build?

OP
Yevhen

Yevhen

Forum Donor
Hi guys, mystery solved. Just got an external USB DAC to bypass audio out from my laptop:

REW-> USB DAC on ES9038PRO -> wideband amplifier (no LPF) -> passive sub -> UMIC-1 -> USB -> REW

Check out the curves. 3rd harmonic below 1%!!! and still without LPF.

1637137855657.png

OP
Yevhen

Yevhen

Forum Donor
Thanks a lot for your help, I was just about to give up and return the driver.

OP
Yevhen

Yevhen

Forum Donor
The next step in my home office project:

1. Make a box for sub LPF + amplifier. I'll use 600W PA from Aliexpress:
It does have a built-in band-pass filter 30-100Hz but no adjustments. I have already bypassed their filter and added my simple 3rd order LPF, also planned to add a roll-off freq control.

2. Cut low freq extension for my floorstanders. Currently, they play from 30-40Hz and trigger that 40Hz room mode. I wanted to reduce the internal volume (more absorber) of the speakers and leave the low freq range for my new sub (placed in the middle of the room, doesn't trigger room mode). If that doesn't help, I may try a high-pass or notch 40Hz hardware filter in front of the power amplifier.

Holmz

Major Contributor
Hi guys, mystery solved. Just got an external USB DAC to bypass audio out from my laptop:

REW-> USB DAC on ES9038PRO -> wideband amplifier (no LPF) -> passive sub -> UMIC-1 -> USB -> REW

Check out the curves. 3rd harmonic below 1%!!! and still without LPF.

View attachment 166031

I always thought those DACS were a gimmick;)

Well done sir!

(Are you in Amsterdam?)

Top Bottom