• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with Dayton audio imm6

RemedyMusic

Reviewer
Hi everyone! I'm Edz and this is my first thread here in ASR. Ok, let me introduce myself in the quickest way possible.

I've been a musician for 3 decades and counting. And I'm a small reviewer from Philippines and 2 years active at Headfi. My name there si RemedyMusic as it is here. My audiophile journey started roughly around 2 years ago when the pandemic (covid) started. As I embarked on this hobby, I decided to purchase a Dayton imm6 measurement rig to add objectivity to my reviews.

Before posting this thread I have searched for infos regarding what I need but unfortunately the didn't find my specific need. Hence the reason I'm here! lol

To get started let me lay down what I use in measuring:

1. REW software (free version only)
2. Dayton audio imm-6
3. Abigail pro 3.5mm
4. tubes
5. couple of tips (dunu SnS, kbear 07, foam tips, bqeyz tips)
6. Macbook pro 2011 13"
IMG20230619093654.jpg

Up front, my goal here is to be as close to an iec711 measuring. I'm told that when measuring, a lot of factors are to be considered thus I'm not expecting to be accurately the same as ies711 but somehow I wish it is possible to be close. Another thing, I don't have a CAL file for the imm-6 and so the previous owner of the imm-6 just walked me through his workflow when measuring.

To address my concern I will be expressing them with photos and comparisons with some of my fellow reviewers' graphs. First off let me show you how my graph compares to the graph of the previous owner of my imm-6.

pandamon ob vs remedymusic.png
As you can see my measurement (green) is lacking on gains. The shape though is quite similar. Do be reminded, this is measured using the same exact unit of imm-6. But ofcourse ear tips is different, laptop is different, but tubes used are the same. Ok time to compare with iec711.

studio 4 practiphile vs remedymusic.png
As you can see, the shape is still somewhat, similar but we have now more difference. And again, gains particularly starting from 1khz is obvious. For more consistency, let me give one last example.

winter practiphile versus remedymusic.png

From 20hz up to 1khz my measurement has more gain. Then we cross paths exactly at 1khz and my gains start to be less.

My main goal is for those gains to be fixed as we noticed the gains of my measurements are obviously lesser starting at 1khz. I wish someone out there would be patient and kind to guide me through this compensation I'm looking for. maybe a CAL file? or a setting I've missed somewhere?

My gratitude in advance to this forum and looking forward to any kind of assistance or even an answer if this is just ways things are and accept them.

All the best and have a good one!

Best regards,
RemedyMusic

JSmith

Master Contributor
And I'm a small reviewer from Philippines and 2 years active at Headfi. My name there si RemedyMusic as it is here.
Welcome to ASR. :)

You may wish to have a look here;
Please start a conversation with @amirm to get a Dealer/Manufacturer/Industry/Reviewer tag before posting.

JSmith

OP
RemedyMusic

RemedyMusic

Reviewer

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi mate!

hmmmm... let me check on that. Now the instructions are for mobile applications. iPhone and android. hmmm any idea how to use the calibration file for REW?

much thanks :)
REW has ability to incorporate Dayton's calibration files (I use a Dayton OmniMic 2 usb mic setup). How are you using yours if not with a phone/tablet sort of thing?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
REW has ability to incorporate Dayton's calibration files (I use a Dayton OmniMic 2 usb mic setup). How are you using yours if not with a phone/tablet sort of thing?
I think he is asking how to use the same cal file that is used in REW, only using an Android or iPhone. So maybe what software for phones and can it use the same cal file?

OP
RemedyMusic

RemedyMusic

Reviewer
I'm using mine with a laptop using REW sir. Would you be so kind as to walk me through how to incorporate the calibration file in REW? btw, the file I downloaded from Dayton is a .txt file. that is correct?

RemedyMusic

OP
RemedyMusic

RemedyMusic

Reviewer
Welcome to ASR. :)

You may wish to have a look here;

JSmith
Hi sir. duly noted. I will send a private message to sir amirm. :)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
RemedyMusic

RemedyMusic

Reviewer
I think he is asking how to use the same cal file that is used in REW, only using an Android or iPhone. So maybe what software for phones and can it use the same cal file?
hmmmm sir, I'm not actually using the imm-6 with mobile application. I only use it with a laptop and REW software. :)

RemedyMusic

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Apparently he doesn't have the phone/tablet, he's using a pc, and he said he didn't have the calibration file....

OP
RemedyMusic

RemedyMusic

Reviewer
OP
RemedyMusic

RemedyMusic

Reviewer
The author of REW hangs out at avnirvana.com if you have difficulties......
sir, does this look right?

Screen Shot 2023-06-19 at 11.20.55.png

I've put the cal .txt files on the soundcard and mic. Did I do it right?

RemedyMusic

Top Bottom