• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Car audio speaker testing setup. Equipment advice needed.

Hello all! I'm back into this project after a long delay Previous speaker testing thread.

I am going to start fresh and need assistance selecting equipment for the best/easiest results. My plan is to test car audio speakers at multiple power levels to determine how they behave at normal volumes up to the rated RMS and beyond. I would like to mimic a car stereo setup as close as possibly by using as much car stereo equipment as I can, but use my computer for output and measurement.

Current equipment:
Kenwood DMX125BT head unit:
  • RCA input possible
  • RCA output
  • I would like to utilize this device as an easy way to set the power output by adjusting the volume (pushbutton with number set)
Amplifier: PRV QS2000
  • Can output all the power I need
  • Relatively inexpensive to replace in the event of shorted speaker failure
Speaker installation:
  • Speakers installed into speaker pods mounted onto a door panel
  • Multiple speaker configurations
Room setup:
  • Door panel with pod/speakers standing on a table
  • Table in corner of room, turned to ~45deg
  • No backing on pods (speakers will be 'free-air')
  • Large room with drop-ceiling and carpeted floors
Testing equipment:
  • UMM-6 USB test mic
  • Laptop with REW
I'm looking for advice on the following:
  • Best way to connect my laptop to the head unit without breaking the bank. My first thought was the Dayton Audio DAC01 since it has no external adjustments for me to set incorrectly from test to test.
  • Best way to treat the room/door panel to reduce unwanted reflections
  • Best way to measure: microphone placement etc.
Please keep in mind that I want to provide 'enough' information on how speakers perform without getting too technical. I don't think I need the 'best' equipment to provide the most accurate measurements. I would like to start out as inexpensively as possible to see if creating these tests and related videos will gain traction.

Thanks, B

Top Bottom