• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me decide a subwoofer for music only and high WAF

DanielT

Major Contributor
Can you control the gain of the midwoofers independently of the rest? And how high do they go? If you can get some kind of EQ with a tilt function on your PC that should work too, so you can just lift up the low-end across both subwoofers and midwoofers.
I was almost going crazy when I tried to drive my subwoofers, bass/mid, tweeter all these drivers then with separate amplifiers. It started with me boosting up my subwoofers at a lower volume, (loudness compensation). But even then a little extra boost for the tweeters. Then the race was on, so to speak.
It was a hell of a lot of turning of volume controls, at different volume levels AND for different recordings. I was almost tuning in more than I was listening to music.:oops:

I ended up setting the levels at "normal" listening volume then I didn't touch those settings even though I sometimes listened at lower and higher volumes.:)

dped90

View attachment 354079
ISO 226 2003
View attachment 354080
JRiver ISO 226 2003 in practice.
There are no self stand plugins either.
There are Denon AVR's and Yamaha amplifiers and AVR's that have it and I am afraid that's all that has left as it whose standard thing 20 years ago. Some interfaces also have it and EQ-APO.
Yes, I remember now reading that JRiver and Foobar players have fixed or variable loudness compensation control https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=129421.0
Very nice, as they both also have other functionality I require, like real time pitch control and time extension control. Hopefully, those are as transparent sounding as they are in my old versions of Samplitude Pro X. https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/magix-samplitude-pro-x

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Yes, I remember now reading that JRiver and Foobar players have Loudness Compensation utilities. Very nice, as they both also have other functionality I require, like pitch and time control, but always had from other apps like Samplitude DAW.
Foobar doesn't and unfortunately it has rather limited plugin suport (VTS before all). EQ-APO (working also as WDM on system level) does.
Did some digging and find polishing enough GPL 3 Alsa Linux implementation of ISO 226 2003 which is useful for Pi and other developer boards streamers/servers and such.
There are and VTS plugins but I whosent able to find polished/maintened and alive one that's free or cheap.

dped90

That there's an inherent "tonality" in different driver materials is somewhat of a myth. In our speaker systems (with speakers and subwoofers explicitly designed to work together) we have aluminium cones in the subwoofers and paper cones in the midbass. There's no special reason to believe the Rhythmiks can't be integrated properly with the midwoofers.

Can you control the gain of the midwoofers independently of the rest? And how high do they go? If you can get some kind of EQ with a tilt function on your PC that should work too, so you can just lift up the low-end across both subwoofers and midwoofers.
https://www.rythmikaudio.com/download/XLR2_sealed_quickguide.pdf And no doubt JRiver has EQ utlities. If not, then my old version of Samplitude Pro X, which I often use for WAV file editing and real time pitch downs during playbacks. https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/magix-samplitude-pro-x

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
JRiver pretty much has everything but it's not all roses with it either. You have Q for high/low pass but in the end you tune slopes trough Q and measurements in REW to a math model in REW. Convolver is rather lags, mixer is not intuitive nor is chanel mapping. You of course can use VST 3 plugins and direct show ones and sometimes it goes crazy but rarely.

dped90

Foobar doesn't and unfortunately it has rather limited plugin suport (VTS before all). EQ-APO (working also as WDM on system level) does.
Did some digging and find polishing enough GPL 3 Alsa Linux implementation of ISO 226 2003 which is useful for Pi and other developer boards streamers/servers and such.
There are and VTS plugins but I whosent able to find polished/maintened and alive one that's free or cheap.
Thanks. This thread does a deep dive into it. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/accurate-fletcher-munson-data.16495/ But I'm strictly Windows, so
n/g if it's only Linux. I don't do any surround sound; just stereo 2.2. So it would be great if I can do all of my music playback via Samplitude. Loads of EQ capability, AFAIK.

Last edited:
Top Bottom