• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone pad adhesive

Shadrach

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 595s.
The velour type pads are coming away from the headphone body.
The adhesive that is still there, but not dried out, looks similar to that used to seal the rubber/neoprene roll to the chassis on some bass drivers.
Does anyone know where I can buy a small quantity of a similar adhesive, or if not, what adhesives have others used to glue pads to headphone bodies?

threni

Major Contributor
The adhesive that is still there, but not dried out, looks similar to that used to seal the rubber/neoprene roll to the chassis on some bass drivers.
Does anyone know where I can buy a small quantity of a similar adhesive, or if not, what adhesives have others used to glue pads to headphone bodies?
You can get replacement pads pretty cheap off eBay, My HD 595 is over 10 years old so new pads and fixing up the headband has made them as good as new!

staticV3

Master Contributor
You should be able to buy compatible OEM replacement pads online. Those come with fresh adhesive from what I can tell.
Search for "Sennheiser 572287" and "Sennheiser 572280".
I don't know the difference between those two unfortunately.

OP
Shadrach

Shadrach

I don't need new pads. I already have a spare set if required but they didn't come with adhesive.
I just need the correct glue or one that has proven to work for these types of pads.

threni

Major Contributor
I don't need new pads. I already have a spare set if required but they didn't come with adhesive.
I just need the correct glue or one that has proven to work for these types of pads.
You don't need glue - they clip in.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some adhesives I've had luck with on projects is Scotch double sided tape, which has a really powerful adhesive on it, and thin enough for most things. 3M makes it too in different thicknesses. Just don't use super glue on plastic, too much chance of melting/warping. Don't those come with a locking ring already installed that snaps into the groove? I've seen some that don't come with the ring so you have to transplant it. For those I use the double sided tape.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

Can you post a picture of the issue ?
I assume you mean the pad is coming loose from the mounting ring as shown below.

OP
Shadrach

Shadrach

Some adhesives I've had luck with on projects is Scotch double sided tape, which has a really powerful adhesive on it, and thin enough for most things. 3M makes it too in different thicknesses. Just don't use super glue on plastic, too much chance of melting/warping. Don't those come with a locking ring already installed that snaps into the groove? I've seen some that don't come with the ring so you have to transplant it. For those I use the double sided tape.
I have been considering double sided tape.
Thanks.

OP
Shadrach

Shadrach

Can you post a picture of the issue ?
I assume you mean the pad is coming loose from the mounting ring as shown below.

The pads themselves are still in good condition. The skirt that locates the pads on the ear pieces has come away from the pad itself in places. The after market replacement pads I have do not have a skirt and may not even be the right pads for the model.
I could get another replacement pad set with the skirt andmaybe this is the best option.
It does seem a bit of a waste though when some type of adhesive would do the job.
I'll see if I can get a picture or posted later.
Thanks for the video link.

Top Bottom