• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone Amp and DAC suggestion needed.

Eli38

Hi everybody,

Which headphone amp should I get for Beyerdynamics DT1990 for about $300 - $600 and a DAC for about $100 - $300?

I heard of THX AAA 789, Monolith, JLabs etc. some brands that I didn't know existed. But what about Beyerdynamics A20? Why it is not so popular or even Rupert Neve Designs RNHP Precision Headphone Amplifier?

P.S. I prefer all black.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
But what about Beyerdynamics A20? Why it is not so popular or even Rupert Neve Designs RNHP Precision Headphone Amplifier?
I have not measured the A20 but looking at its specs, it is very low performing. The JDS Labs Atom at 1/4 price would way outperform it. It is only $99. There is really no reason to get something else as the Atom will give you all the performance you need.

For DAC, you can choose many. If you go with JDS Labs, the topping D50 looks nice with it at $250 (cheaper on sale). The other end of the scale, the Topping D10 is pretty cheap at $80 and would also look good with it.

OP
E

Eli38

Thank you for the info! I recently learned about different brands that make cheap audio stuff, yet comparable to a more expensive one. I'm curious if $3k headphone amp sounds that much better than a decent $500 amp?

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thank you for the info! I recently learned about different brands that make cheap audio stuff, yet comparable to a more expensive one. I'm curious if $3k headphone amp sounds that much better than a decent $500 amp?
Short answer: Probably not. Price not equal to performance.

bravomail

I'm curious if $3k headphone amp sounds that much better than a decent $500 amp?

Long answer: hell yeah. Because brain does things to itself. Ggl and watch utub videos on wine tasting of the same boxed wine delivered to customer via cheap or expensive bottle. This site is "pro-boxed-wine".

bravomail

on-topic - Schiit Modi3/Magni3 are good, matched, stackable. Topping D30. GracDesign SDAC, Aune X1S, Topping DX3Pro. JDS Atom, THX 789.

OP
E

Eli38

Haha, I watched a video about wine, hella funny and so true!
I hear a lot about "on-topic - Schiit Modi3/Magni3 are good, matched, stackable. Topping D30. GracDesign SDAC, Aune X1S, Topping DX3Pro. JDS Atom, THX 789. " these ones! Right now, I'm thinking maybe 789 + Balanced Grace SDAC. Though, JDS Labs has an alternative of Grace SDAC but with an optical input. Not sure which is better.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Hi everybody,

Which headphone amp should I get for Beyerdynamics DT1990 for about $300 - $600 and a DAC for about $100 - $300?

I heard of THX AAA 789, Monolith, JLabs etc. some brands that I didn't know existed. But what about Beyerdynamics A20? Why it is not so popular or even Rupert Neve Designs RNHP Precision Headphone Amplifier?

P.S. I prefer all black.

I do like the idea of DG413DYZ analogue switches, but not sure a single-TPA6120A2 amplifier can be the best bang for the buck, although it does measures pretty well. The level of hum is a bit higher than expected, but I guess is inaudible anyway. Seems that there are 5532 opamps inside, os output sound should be neutral for sure. Source: http://www.soomal.com/search/101./

The A 20 is has several transistors on its board, I do like this idea more, but the output power is not really high. Not sure the best price/perf. ratio, I also see it got end of life recently.

I guess THX and JDS Atom are the best performers right now, in respect with THD+N and their price.

P.S.: If you want combos, I think Topping DX7S is a very good choice. Also, might worth a try the newer Burson PLAYMATE, if you can give it few minutes to listen.

Last edited:
OP
E

Eli38

I do like the idea of DG413DYZ analogue switches, but not sure a single-TPA6120A2 amplifier can be the best bang for the buck, although it does measures pretty well. The level of hum is a but higher than expected, but I guess is inaudible anyway. Seems that there are 5532 opamps inside, os output sound should be neutral for sure. Source: http://www.soomal.com/search/101./

The A 20 is has several transistors on its board, I do like this idea more, but the output power is not really high. Not sure the best price/perf. ratio, I also see it got end of life recently.

I guess THX and JDS Atom are the best performers right now, in respect with THD+N and their price.

P.S.: If you want combos, I think Topping DX7S is a very good choice. Also, might worth a try the newer Burson PLAYMATE, if you can give it few minutes to listen.

Thank you for a detailed information!!

Anmol

Forum Donor
I have not measured the A20 but looking at its specs, it is very low performing. The JDS Labs Atom at 1/4 price would way outperform it. It is only $99. There is really no reason to get something else as the Atom will give you all the performance you need.

For DAC, you can choose many. If you go with JDS Labs, the topping D50 looks nice with it at $250 (cheaper on sale). The other end of the scale, the Topping D10 is pretty cheap at $80 and would also look good with it.
For Whomsoever may benefit
I owned an a20 and sold it when I listened through atom via my beyerdynamic t1 2nd gen. There is a clear audible difference between the two and without a doubt atom wins hands down (same 2qute dac and laptop input)

Top Bottom