• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC and AMP

Trencher

Hi All,

I am new to thw audio world but recently jumpped in and brought myself a pair of Beyerdynamic DT1990, a schiit modi 3 and magni 3 amp
I have a pair or RCA cables connecting them and a USB-C \Micro B cable connecting the DAC to my windows 10 XPS 15 laptop

however when I set it all up nothing comes out of the headphones, however I do get sound if I just plug them into the headphone jack.
both the DAC and AMP appear to work they light up when plugged in and hte laptop even seems to identify the DAC when connected up thoguh still no sound no matter what I try

does anyone have any ideas I am going crazy with it and do not know what to do next
I appreciate any help

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You might want check that you switch to the DAC as output device on Windows. You can do that by clicking the Volume button at the task bar, clicking the little arrow next to volume setting and making sure the correct output is selected.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Try making you new DAC the default sound device in Windows. Also make sure your plugging output RCA to the input on the amp and not the preamp out, they're labelled.

radix

Major Contributor
The modi has an input selector, make sure it's on USB (I think that's the left of the 3 LEDs).

Make sure the Magni is selected for RCA IN (the right switch in the down position).

What software do you play from? You might need to check out its properties and see if it's using the right output device. Some software does not use the default Windows device.

Last edited:
Top Bottom