• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gaming sound spatialization

arthrax

Hello,

I'm a beginner in Audio science and I would like to improve spatialization sound in gaming.

I'm looking for a DAC or DAC\Amp that can help me to feel from where the sound is coming, hear more precisely step of other player, gun reloading, ...
Basically i want to increase volume of background sound.

My use is 100% gaming on computer. Right now my headphone are BeyerDynamic MMX 300 2nd version and my integrated soundcard is a Realtek ALC897.

After some search, I have found Creative Sound Blaster family like the GC7 because of some features like Scout mode and Battle mode. I don't know if it is a marketing trap or a real features.
I have also install HeSuVi software for better sound emulation but it is very complicated to use.

Do you have any recommandation ?
Should I insist with HeSuVi ?
Otherwise which DAC/Amp should be nice for my use ?

Thank you

staticV3

Master Contributor
I'm looking for a DAC or DAC\Amp that can help me to feel from where the sound is coming, hear more precisely step of other player, gun reloading, ...
Basically i want to increase volume of background sound.
Sounds like what you want is a Compressor, rather than spatialization.

Hollywood_Bob

try FXSound. It's free, has a gaming setting and it improved gaming sound for me. I have a soundblaster audio card on my older computer and it also improves the gaming sound quality.

Mkilbride

Soundblaster G6 has SBX / Virtual Surround Sound. Portable AMP / DAC, should do the trick for you.

ThatGuyYouKnow

The Sound Blaster options are good for what you seem to be asking.

For actual 3D headphone spatialization, nothing beats the binaural and 3D audio renderers often offered in modern games of the last few years. The 3D spatial options in numerous games usually work best with Atmos for Headphones enabled in Windows.

Mkilbride

The Soundblaster option is actually superior to Atmos in a lot of games / 3D Audio options in my testing. I know, I didn't expect that either.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Headphones which naturally have such tuning (passive sound stage) like Sennheiser HD 800S or AKG-K702 (for example) and SBX G6 with scaut mode personalised by you.

ThatGuyYouKnow

The Soundblaster option is actually superior to Atmos in a lot of games / 3D Audio options in my testing. I know, I didn't expect that either.
Can't say I agree with what I've used. I have the Sound Blaster GC7, which I no longer use. Also, the amp section on it is inadequate for my difficult-to-drive headphones. The G6 that you guys mentioned may be much better in that regard.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had an MMX300 for years as a daily driver. The Soundblaster G6 for $79 with warranty is the best you'll do for that headset with gaming. I currently have a Soundblaster X1 which you can get for $49 and it's really cool if you don't use the SFXI which is just a gimmick. The 7.1 mode is really good on that. The SBX mode isn't bad at 12 percent or so, but too high and you lose resolution, it's all personal preference. It has built in EQ, and scout mode which boosts treble in 2khz to 6khz range where footsteps in games happen, depending on the surface walked on and footwear.
I've been an avid gamer who buys and sells audio equipment, and managed two PC repair shops. I tried HeSuVi and every sound card on the market over the years. Just grab a G6 or X1 depending on your system and call it a day.

ThatGuyYouKnow

I had an MMX300 for years as a daily driver. The Soundblaster G6 for $79 with warranty is the best you'll do for that headset with gaming. I currently have a Soundblaster X1 which you can get for $49 and it's really cool if you don't use the SFXI which is just a gimmick. The 7.1 mode is really good on that. The SBX mode isn't bad at 12 percent or so, but too high and you lose resolution, it's all personal preference. It has built in EQ, and scout mode which boosts treble in 2khz to 6khz range where footsteps in games happen, depending on the surface walked on and footwear.
I've been an avid gamer who buys and sells audio equipment, and managed two PC repair shops. I tried HeSuVi and every sound card on the market over the years. Just grab a G6 or X1 depending on your system and call it a day.
I've been keen on trying the X1 at some point out of curiosity. I believe that is the last device the legendary Creative founder worked on before his unfortunate passing.

Mkilbride

G6 is definitely better from what I can tell. The X1 is significantly weaker, but also half the price.

OP
A

arthrax

Thanks I have check compressor device, they have a good effect on close sound but then you can't hear distant sound.
try FXSound. It's free, has a gaming setting and it improved gaming sound for me. I have a soundblaster audio card on my older computer and it also improves the gaming sound quality.
Thanks, I have check FXSound and it seems to be easier to use than HeSuVi but it miss a lot of features. Soundblaster card are more easy.
Headphones which naturally have such tuning (passive sound stage) like Sennheiser HD 800S or AKG-K702 (for example) and SBX G6 with scaut mode personalised by you.
Yes I agree but I have already a MMX 300 and SBX with scout mode is the way !
Thanks for your feedback, it help me a lot
I've been keen on trying the X1 at some point out of curiosity. I believe that is the last device the legendary Creative founder worked on before his unfortunate passing.
Yes it is the latest device made by creative even if it is the old Creative Super X-FI Amp with a sticker on it.
G6 is definitely better from what I can tell. The X1 is significantly weaker, but also half the price.
Thanks, yes I agree and the G6 is quite old

Thanks to all your returns, to sum up, software are working but needs a lot of tweek but there is no Dac or Amp.
Soudblaster is a no brainer solution with all features like scout mode with preset for gaming.

I'm thinking to buy the Soundblaster GC7 because :

- It get all gaming features : Scout Mode and SXFI BATTLE Mode
- Device is nice to look with direct access button and USB-C
- My use is 100% gaming with my static computer
- My headphone is 32 Ohm so very easy to drive
- Price is 87,99€ right now with special discount

I have exclude :

- Soundblaster X1 because no SXFI BATTLE Mode and less powerful than GC7
- Soundblaster G6 because no SXFI BATTLE Mode and micro-usb even if it is more powerful than GC7 and more portable

Top Bottom