• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hard time deciding which Integrated Amplifier to pick!

Hi,

I want to buy an Integrated Amplifier and use it with a variety of speakers over the years. Currently will start using them with Klipsch RP-600M II and Focal CHORA 826.

Based on what I need and some suggestions I am down to these options: (The prices include base price + tax + shipping to my country)
1. Audiolab 7000A (overall good, but would like to know how it compares to Rega) - $1500
2. Rega ELEX MK4 (It seems very high quality and made in the UK) - $1900
3. Rotel RA-1572 MKII OR Audiolab 9000A - $3000 (I don't want to go into that price range tho)

There are some points that I prefer them to have:
  • The wattage of 70W or more
  • Phono Input
  • XLR Input (Would be nice)
  • Direct Input (Acts as a power amp only) this is a huge plus as I can use it with AVR preouts later

I'm also considering buying a separate DAC (Streamer) such as Matrix Audio Mini-i 4 or Eversolo DAC-Z8 so the AMPs internal DAC and inputs are not that important.

How are these options, what would you guys recommend? Are there other good options that I missed out? Which one should I pick?

Any suggestions and recommendations are welcome as I don't have the option to try out any of these in person so I can only rely on reviews and feedback.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Hi,

I want to buy an Integrated Amplifier and use it with a variety of speakers over the years. Currently will start using them with Klipsch RP-600M II and Focal CHORA 826.

Based on what I need and some suggestions I am down to these options: (The prices include base price + tax + shipping to my country)
1. Audiolab 7000A (overall good, but would like to know how it compares to Rega) - $1500
3. Rotel RA-1572 MKII OR Audiolab 9000A - $3000 (I don't want to go into that price range tho)

There are some points that I prefer them to have:
  • The wattage of 70W or more
  • Phono Input
  • XLR Input (Would be nice)
  • Direct Input (Acts as a power amp only) this is a huge plus as I can use it with AVR preouts later

I'm also considering buying a separate DAC (Streamer) such as Matrix Audio Mini-i 4 or Eversolo DAC-Z8 so the AMPs internal DAC and inputs are not that important.

How are these options, what would you guys recommend? Are there other good options that I missed out? Which one should I pick?

Any suggestions and recommendations are welcome as I don't have the option to try out any of these in person so I can only rely on reviews and feedback.
I realize the recommendation that follows is not an integrated, but this will not take up a lot of space, is inexpensive, and exceeds your 70 watt minimum.
Schiit Vidar 2 stereo amp. https://www.schiit.com/products/vidar2

Schiit Freya S. https://www.schiit.com/products/freya-s

The Vidar uses single ended inputs for stereo 100 watts into 8 ohms. The balanced input on the Vidar puts it into mono block mode - 400 watts into 8 ohms - in case you get inefficient speakers later, you get a second Vidar in that case. The Freya preamp accepts balanced and single ended inputs plus gives the same choice on outputs. This gives you the choice to have 2 Vidar's as monoblocks should you require that.
This combo should be more than sufficient for most speakers at $1400 plus shipping. You want top tier - Benchmark preamp and amp - but it will run close to $7000 for the stereo 100 watt amp plus preamp.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How about YAMAHA integrated amps?
A-S801 $900
A-S1200 $3,000
A-S2200 $4,500
A-S3200 $8,000

I believe A-S2200 and A-S3200 would meet all of your requirements even though a little bit expensive. (I did not search discount prices since I do not know where you are living.)

I still use A-S3000 and A-S301 in my DSP-base multichannel multi-SP-driver multi-amplifier fully active audio system (ref. here for the latest system setup), and YAMAHA integrated amps are always excellent and durable.

Just for your reference, within ASR Forum, we have this thread dedicating on YAMAHA amps with this nice hyperlink index.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's spartan for the price. I've never heard one but I've looked over the main PCB and skimmed and scanned the manual and there's no tone controls.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Screenshot 2023-08-12 153547.png

Overall without even looking internally I am of the opinion this is a better unit and gives more user satisfaction than the Rega. Upon viewing the open top view this is a better unit than the Rega I think.
Audiolab-7000_01.jpg

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
They are all good choices, but I'd probably go for the Rega. It's a very well made unit built in the UK and should last you for many decades.

Chazz6

The Quicksilver integrated tube amplifier is at the top of your price range. It should have no problem driving either speaker choice (did just fine with my Focal Aria 906's). Quality build, plenty of detail in the sound. Heavy, so shipping to your country from the U.S. might be a deal breaker. Should have high resale value if you want to try something else in a few years.

Mean & Green

I’d go with Audiolab out of those choices.

Seems to have decent on paper specs. Unlike Rega who never seem to publish any meaningful technical measurements for their gear, which makes me question their quality and engineering in general.

OP
aaronsarkissian
I realize the recommendation that follows is not an integrated, but this will not take up a lot of space, is inexpensive, and exceeds your 70 watt minimum.
Schiit Vidar 2 stereo amp. https://www.schiit.com/products/vidar2

Schiit Freya S. https://www.schiit.com/products/freya-s

The Vidar uses single ended inputs for stereo 100 watts into 8 ohms. The balanced input on the Vidar puts it into mono block mode - 400 watts into 8 ohms - in case you get inefficient speakers later, you get a second Vidar in that case. The Freya preamp accepts balanced and single ended inputs plus gives the same choice on outputs. This gives you the choice to have 2 Vidar's as monoblocks should you require that.
This combo should be more than sufficient for most speakers at $1400 plus shipping. You want top tier - Benchmark preamp and amp - but it will run close to $7000 for the stereo 100 watt amp plus preamp.
Nice suggestion! Didn’t consider separates because of the huge space and price. But these two seem very reasonable. Will take a look at the reviews and how their sound quality is. If you have experience with them please share yours in terms of quality.
Thanks

OP
aaronsarkissian
I’d go with Audiolab out of those choices.

Seems to have decent on paper specs. Unlike Rega who never seem to publish any meaningful technical measurements for their gear, which makes me question their quality and engineering in general.
Yes, the only issue that I have is that there is no info in Rega online. I had the chance to hear Rega BRIO with Q speakers, it sounded great. But it is more of a blind buy if I go with Rega.

OP
aaronsarkissian
They are all good choices, but I'd probably go for the Rega. It's a very well made unit built in the UK and should last you for many decades.
People are saying that is high quality and sounds good, but as there is little info online I'm not sure if that is the best buy for me. It lacks so many features that other brands offer. Do you have experience with Rega yourself? Do they sound better compared to others?

OP
aaronsarkissian
It's spartan for the price. I've never heard one but I've looked over the main PCB and skimmed and scanned the manual and there's no tone controls.
View attachment 305432

Overall without even looking internally I am of the opinion this is a better unit and gives more user satisfaction than the Rega. Upon viewing the open top view this is a better unit than the Rega I think.
Audiolab-7000_01.jpg
Yes, Audiolab is way more clear on what they do, and how they do with plenty of reviews and comparisons. However, people who had Rega (older models) always suggest that it is very high quality and it is not even comparable with Audiolab and even Rotel.

And yes, Rega has difficulty working with 4Ω or lower and they shut off because of overheating.

CrustyToad

Forum Donor
People are saying that is high quality and sounds good, but as there is little info online I'm not sure if that is the best buy for me. It lacks so many features that other brands offer. Do you have experience with Rega yourself? Do they sound better compared to others?
The one Rega tested here was a disaster

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Do you have experience with Rega yourself? Do they sound better compared to others?

Yes. The Rega Brio was/is a fabulous sounding product. Personally, I'd take it over a bunch of highly reviewed asian amplifiers, not just because it is better made, but because it will last longer, can be easily repaired if it ever fails and simply is a joyful thing to own.

The Elex looks to be a way better product. Both in performance, build and design. I wish they'd send me one to check out, but I'm confident you could not go wrong with that amp. It appears to be British design at its best. Maybe not SINAD chart topping, but seriously, there's WAY more to hifi than that.

jeroboam

If as you say you are integrating with a dac/streamer then you dont need an integrated amp which would widen your choice and be cheaper as well. Some good class D amps available within your budget a few of which have been well reviewed on ASR.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Nice suggestion! Didn’t consider separates because of the huge space and price. But these two seem very reasonable. Will take a look at the reviews and how their sound quality is. If you have experience with them please share yours in terms of quality.
Thanks

I think the original Vidar may have been reviewed here. I own 3 different Schiit DACS and the tube version of the Saga. They have all worked fine. The stepped attenuator Schiit employs in their pre-amps is excellent. I thought about getting a Vidar but the original version had the power switch in the back and I could not accept that. Vidar 2 fixes the power switch conundrum and they now post measurements with the AP they have now. I ended up buying a Luxman i507uxii which is probably end game for me and out of your budget.

OP
aaronsarkissian
Thanks, everyone for your responses, after more research based on your responses, the prices, and future expendability Probably I'll go with Bob's suggestion, The Schiit.

Audiolab is a great choice for me and probably it will be enough for my system but Schiit Vidar 2 setup seems more future-proof.
Rega is also good but not at that price point for me and there are so little data on it based on Rega IO review it seems Rega doesn’t handle 4 OHM loads well.

I'll get Wiim Pro Plus as a streamer and DAC for now, and connect it directly to Vidar 2. Also will use Wiim's analog input to connect a turntable to it (yeah I know it is not a good decision as it will go through ADC and the DAC)
Later I'll add Freya Preamp (maybe the new Kata) and will connect the turntable (with Mani Phono AMP for example) to that.

I can also add another Vidar 2 to drive them in Mono mode, or just bi-amp the speakers.

I'll do some more final research before purchasing them.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Thanks, everyone for your responses, after more research based on your responses, the prices, and future expendability Probably I'll go with Bob's suggestion, The Schiit.

Audiolab is a great choice for me and probably it will be enough for my system but Schiit Vidar 2 setup seems more future-proof.
Rega is also good but not at that price point for me and there are so little data on it based on Rega IO review it seems Rega doesn’t handle 4 OHM loads well.

I'll get Wiim Pro Plus as a streamer and DAC for now, and connect it directly to Vidar 2. Also will use Wiim's analog input to connect a turntable to it (yeah I know it is not a good decision as it will go through ADC and the DAC)
Later I'll add Freya Preamp (maybe the new Kata) and will connect the turntable (with Mani Phono AMP for example) to that.

I can also add another Vidar 2 to drive them in Mono mode, or just bi-amp the speakers.

I'll do some more final research before purchasing them.
I'd be careful about connecting a DAC's digital volume control directly to an Amp. Having one reset to max output can be bad news. The Kara looks to be a replacement for the Freya S with a headphone amp add on - looks good. I would suggest getting the Kara along with the Vidar 2 - keep us informed of your results.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Out of the choices you gave us the Audiolab seems to be the best for the price. I like the display and VU meters and the PCB layout and power supply look good.

OP
aaronsarkissian
I went with the Schiit Vidar 2 and Schiit Kara.

I love the sound combo with Klipsch RP-600M II. The sound is very detailed and all instruments are very clear. However, with my friend's Focal CHORA 826, the sound is much wider and open. They are different but both are appealing.

My full build is the following:
Streamer: Wiim Pro Plus
Power AMP: Schiit Vidar 2
Preamp: Schiit Kara
RCA Cables: Amazon Basics 4 feet (streamer -> preamp -> power amp)
Speaker Cables: Micca cable 12 feet
Turntable: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon EVO (will purchase soon)
Phono preamp: Schiit Mani (will purchase soon)

rdaow

Sorry to hijack this thread, I was looking at these integrated amps as well, but after discovering this web site I think I will go with Audiophonics NC252MP and Wiim Pro Plus (and passive preamp with volume in between), as I'm in the EU and I get free shipping on Audiophonics items (I understand Schiit are in the US only?).

Top Bottom